VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having two separate problems with my desktop PC (both problems are on the same PC), and if I can solve one of them, then that would probably mean that the other problem becomes Irrelevant. I'm afraid that this is a long post, but I want to include everything that I think is relevant to the problems, and I'd be glad of any help.

Problem 1) The PC is a Windows 7, 8GB RAM, desktop with Avast Antivirus, and Zone Alarm firewall. A few weeks back, I moved from Talk Talk to Virgin, and got a much faster download speed (50Mb/s). My PC doesn't have a wi-fi built in, so I had to buy a PCI wi-fi adaptor (made by Tenda), installed it, installed the driver from the CD, it detected the Virgin signal, I entered the passkey, and everything was great. I tried a couple of broadband speed websites (such as http://www.speedtest.net/ and http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/) and they reported that my speed was 50Mb/s

But a few days back, the internet connection started to run slowly, so I tried the broadband websites, and they said I was only getting ~5Mb/s. I've not changed anything hardware or software-wise on the PC (other than the manditory updates to Windows and virus killer, etc).

I used my tablet (w-fi, of course) and it said that I was still getting 50Mb/s, so the problem was obviously with my desktop.

So I phoned Virgin, who couldn't find a fault over the phone, so they sent a bloke around, who checked the router (it was working, plus his device got the full speed over the wi-fi from it), and he connected a cable from the router to my desktop (which I couldn't do, since the desktop is upstairs, the router downstairs), and even by wire the desktop only got 5Mb/s, even though when stood next to the desktop, both my tablet and his phone/whatever got full speed via wire-less. So presumably the problem is not the wire-less PCI card or it's driver, since even if we use a cable then the desktop still only gets 5Mb/s.

I've uninstalled Avast! Antivirus (although I didn't think it would be that), and it's not helped, and I disabled Zone Alarm, and still no change.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Problem 2) Anyway, every couple of months I create a 1:1 copy of my C: drive using Acronis Home Image (I used to use Norton Ghost years ago, until I discovered Achronis). So I thought I'd just put on my latest C: drive back up, and if it read the broadband at full speed, then I'd use that installation, and update the programs manually.

So I recovered the last backup, from a month or so back, and everything worked except the net connection. There was no wi-fi icon in the Windows 7 task bar (the ascending slopes made up of vertical columns), just the square with a plug icon that you get pre-wireless era. And when I try to access wi-fi, I get told that there are no wireless connections available. The driver for the PCI wi-fi dongle was installed (I must have made this backup not much after I went over to Virgin) but Windows wasn't showing the wi-fi icon.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, but still no joy. Windows says that the device (the PCI network connector) is working perfectly, and Device Manager marks it as working (no yellow exclamation mark).

I went to my two earlier backups, neither of which have the wi-fi card driver installed, so I installed it, with the same result; no wi-fi icon in the task bar, and Windows says it can't find any wireless connections. So of course I though that the wi-fi card might have broke, or had some sort of setting disabled, but fortunately, before I'd reinstalled the backups of C:, I made a backup today, with the problem I describe in problem 1, so I reinstalled that backup (from today), and now the wi-fi card is working, although for whatever reason the PC is still only getting 5Mb/s.

So I installed the earlier backups, and no matter what I do, I can't get the wireless to work with those. And it *definitely* worked in the first backup before I made that backup (it worked and so I decided to make that backup, I wouldn't have made that backup back then if the wi-fi hadn't been working, I'd have fixed the problem first), so I don't know what the problem is.

Again, any light shone on this problem would be much appreciated.

Details of the adapter are:

802.11n.Wireless LAN

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3060&SUBSYS_30601814&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3060&SUBSYS_30601814
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3060&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3060&CC_0280

Device Type: Network adapters

Manufacturer: Ralink Technology, Corp.

Driver Provider: Ralink Technology, Corp.

Driver Date: 19/04/2011

Driver Version: 3.2.1.0

When I use

CONTROL PANEL > DEVICE MANAGER > NETWORK ADAPTERS > 802.11n. Wireless Lan Card

in both backups (the modern one I made today, which is of course the one where broadband works but only at 5Mb/s, and also the backup from a month or so ago, where the broadband can't be read for some reason) then I get the same values in all of the tabs, except that the IRQ is listed in the

CONTROL PANEL > DEVICE MANAGER > NETWORK ADAPTERS > 802.11n. Wireless Lan Card > RESOURCES

tab in the working (but slow) backup as 0x00000013 (19) whereas in the broadband-not-working backup, the value is 0x00000011 (17)

Windows won't let me edit the entry (in the tab's box, I don't know where else to edit it).

Can anyone help, please.

Apologies if I haven't explained this too clearly. Basically,

1. For some reason, my desktop has stopped receiving broadband (via wireless) at 50MB/s, it's now around 5MB/s. Other wireless devices still receive it at 50MB/s, so it's not the router, it's the desktop (as confirmed by the engineer who Virgin sent, and who wasn't allowed to make changes to my PC, only to the router). Even wired up to the router, the desktop only reads 5MB/s, which makes me think it's not the wireless itself at fault.

2. I've done a clean boot (from an Avast! CD) and scanned the PC, no viruses or malware. I've reset the router. The desktop still only downloads at 5Mb/s, whilst my tablet downloads at 50Mb/s (this is according to various "how fast is my broadband?" site.

3. I have various backups, from a month back, total images of my C: drive. So I thought I'd reinstall one of those, as that would surely not include whatever corrupted file or wrong setting that is causing the problem now. So I first made a backup of the current state, in case I needed to go back, then put the last backup on my PC. But for some reason, that backup (and the two earlier ones) will not see any wi-fi connections, even though I've reinstalled the wi-fi driver, but there's no wi-fi icon in the task bar.

I'll include all available data that I think might be important, in the next post (it's long!)

Reply 1 of 11, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[Continued from the above post]

In today's backup (which was made of the original state, with the 5Mb/s download speed) which I've put back on to check that the wi-fi works (it does) the settings for the connection are:

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet

IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet Access

Media State: Enabled

SSID: [it does show this right, but I won't post it here]

Duration: [shows the right duration]

Speed: 26.0 Mbps [Note that this is wrong by about 21 Mb/s]

Signal Quality: [Five green bars in the shape of the wi-fi icon]

When I click Details, I get:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:

Description: 802.11n Wireless LAN Card

Physical Address: ‎C8-3A-35-CA-3B-97

DHCP Enabled: Yes

IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.3

IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained: 04 November 2015 20:24:37

Lease Expires: 06 November 2015 11:25:46

IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

IPv4 DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1

IPv4 DNS Servers: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

IPv4 WINS Server:

NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled: Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::f099:2ee6:2777:5a72%17

IPv6 Default Gateway:

IPv6 DNS Server:

When I click on Wireless Properties, I get a box with two tabs. The Connection tab

says:

Name: [Shows the right name]

SSID: [Shows the right name]

Network Type: Access Point

Network Availability: All Users

Connect automatically when this network is in range [Ticked]

Connect to a more preferable network if available [Not ticked]

Connect even if the network is not broadcasting it's name [Not ticked]

and the Security Tab says:

Security type: WPA2-Personal

Encryptions type: AES

Network security key: [Shows it OK]

and if I click Advanced Settings, then I get a box with one option:

802.11 settings

Enable Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) compliance for this network

If I click on Properties (from the General box) then I get:

Connect Using:

802.11n Wireless LAN Card

This connections uses the following items

Client For Microsoft Networks [Ticked]

QoS Packet Scheduler [Ticked]

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks [Ticked]

Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) [Ticked]

Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) [Ticked]

And the settings for TCP/IPv4 are:

Obtain an IP address automatically [Ticked (well, it's a black spot in the option

hole]

Use the following IP Address [Not ticked, and no numbers in the IP Address/Subnet

Mask/Default Gateway options]

Obtain DNS server address automatically [Not ticked]

Use the following DNS server addresses [Ticked]

Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8

Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4

Validate settings upon exit [Not Ticked]

And the settings for TCP/IPv6 are:

Obtain an IPv6 address automatically [Ticked]

Use the following IPv6 address [Not Ticked, and the IPv6 Address, Subnet prefix length, and Default Gateway are all blank]

Obtain DNS server address automatically [Ticked]

Use the following DNS server addresses [Not Ticked, and Preferred DNS serve, and Alternate DNS server are both blank]

Validate Settings upon exit [Not Ticked]

Reply 2 of 11, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's too bad you're not on Windows 8. There's an automatic troubleshooter which can fix misconfigurations extremely quickly and easily, so long as there's no other underlying driver/hardware issues. Dunno if Windows 7 has that same feature but if it does, give it a shot.

Since both WiFi and Ethernet are affected, but only on the system in question and no other systems, we can almost rule out a hardware issue, which means the problem is likely at a software level.

Alas, I'm not too sure what to suggest, other than the automatic troubleshooting thing if Win7 even has that.

Another possibility is that you messed up a router setting and are now getting throttled or are having your bandwidth restricted by the router. This would function based on IP or MAC and thus going wired or wireless could produce the same result but only with the affected system. Most such restrictions are difficult to "accidentally" set up though, so we can almost rule that one out too.

One thing I should point out about backups though is that backup software is best used on user data, not system files. Not that you can't use it on system files, but depending on how well the software is written it may not be able to properly restore system files to their previous states due to access restrictions. I do all my running backups as a simple batch file on a flash drive set to target key data related to my coding, while I burn all my webshow stuff to DVDs and soon BRDs. If the system gets screwed, oh well, I have my OS discs. I just reinstall everything and restore my data. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 11, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000, I'll see if Windows 7 has anything like you suggest. It does have a simple troubleshooter, but, like in every pre-Windows 7 version I've seen, it NEVER does any good, and it honestly seems like it's just there so that Microsoft can say it is. Hopefully Windows 7 contains a better (it couldn't be much worse) version hidden somewhere else in all of the settings.

mirh wrote:

Or perhaps you should just download latest drivers..
http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/

I tried, thanks, but no joy.

Reply 5 of 11, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

One thing I should point out about backups though is that backup software is best used on user data, not system files. Not that you can't use it on system files, but depending on how well the software is written it may not be able to properly restore system files to their previous states due to access restrictions. I do all my running backups as a simple batch file on a flash drive set to target key data related to my coding, while I burn all my webshow stuff to DVDs and soon BRDs. If the system gets screwed, oh well, I have my OS discs. I just reinstall everything and restore my data. :B

I forgot to say, I didn't know that backups could ignore certain files. Well, I know that Acronis can be set to ignore files according to their names (so you could choose to ignore *.tmp, workrep*.doc, etc, if you choose) but I'd assumed that otherwise it would store all of the files. When I use Acronis I cold boot the PC (I boot the PC via a CD or USB stick containing the program) so Windows on the hard drive isn't running, and therefore (I think) all of the files on the hard drive are accessible by Acronis. It also includes an option to copy the hard drive sector by sector, but I've always just made the C: drive image with the program just copying files, and so far (with the possible exception of the old backups not working with the wi-fi card for some reason) every backup (when I needed to use it) has worked perfectly.

It's something to be aware of, though, so thanks for the warning.

Reply 6 of 11, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, since you have everything backed up, you could just try a clean install. If it works, reinstall your software, restore your data (and only data) and be happy. If not, just restore your backup.

Reply 7 of 11, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, sorry for not updating sooner, but I've not done anything on the PC (life at the moment is really hectic and I've not been in the mood for PC problems.). I've not tried to fix the PC (not format and reinstall, not take the PC downstairs and connect it via the router, etc) but the last time I touched the PC I started to download a file (a 41GB complete run of a British drama program) to see how fast the downloads were, and because I wanted the TV program (it would also mean having to find out where all the torrent data was stored, to save and restore after any re-format or Acronis image backup restoration, but that was a problem for tomorrow...). I can't remember what the download speed was, but it must have been slow or I'd have taken note and commented on it.

Anyway, today I got home early, so I thought I'd take my desktop downstairs and connect it to the router to see if the speed would increase. But I'd left my PC on over the past few nights, to download the torrent, and to my amazement, the entire torrent has downloaded! 41GB (and I checked some files at random, they do play, the PC hasn't just created empty or corrupt files). I wouldn't have thought this was possible given how slow the download speed had been.

I used speedtest.net and it showed the speed as:

17.47Mbps (small 'b' in 'Mb')

even though I'd done nothing (literally nothing, not even reset the PC) since I'd given up (for the time being) trying to fix the problem and instead left the 41GB torrent to load.

So to test things, I queued up a lot of torrents to download (films, regardless of age or type, just ones with a good amount of seeders, to give large files that had lots of seeding) and I downloaded a program to show what speeds the downloads are at (Networx, it's free and seems to do what's required, though for all I know a different program might be much better), and I ran it over four hours or so, and I copied and pasted the results from the real-time graph into this image twenty-five times:

Networx%20-%20sequence%20from%2011-11-2015%201of5%20_zpscbn0ghnq.jpg

Networx%20-%20sequence%20from%2011-11-2015%202of5%20_zpsqtaxtnls.jpg

Networx%20-%20sequence%20from%2011-11-2015%203of5%20_zpsysay7upt.jpg

Networx%20-%20sequence%20from%2011-11-2015%204of5%20_zpsv5vqe0s7.jpg

Networx%20-%20sequence%20from%2011-11-2015%205of5%20_zpsoeuct13c.jpg

and here's the Speed Meter window:

Speed%20Meter_zpseyf1fe1f.jpg

I don't understand this. First of all, how come the speed varies so hugely? And there's surely no way my maximum download speed has been 247MB/s (as the Speed Meter says), is that speed even possible if you have a fast enough router (mine is the router that Virgin installed, so I assume it has a maximum speed of 50+)? And all the peaks (which seem too high and too brief to be anything but glitches) in the Network graph windows, and the drops to almost 0, are they normal, do they occur in all broadband connects and just represent a very brief period where the PC waits for the signal to catch up? A couple of times, the graphs list the speed as between 20 and 40MB/s (and the very brief spike seems around the 30 area) which is a big jump from the other speeds.

Is there a file I can download from somewhere that has a guaranteed download speed of at least 50Mb/s, so I can test the download speed using Network, please? And any ideas or theories ot explain this, please?

Reply 8 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I would not use Torrents for speed testing. Too many variables. Use something like http://www.bredbandskollen.se/ (press the big green STARTA MÄTNINGEN button to get your down and upload speeds).

Sometimes you need to go back to basics. You have a lot of system images lying around so why not wipe your C-partition and start over with a clean install. That is, if you have a CD/DVD with Windows 7 on. Add the WiFi driver and see what speed you get. Alternatively, see if you can beg and borrow access to a friends PC with a working Win 7 install. Image his system disk and put the image on your system drive. With a little luck Windows will boot, perhaps not with all the bells and whistles, but if it will boot, add the WiFi driver to the system and see what that gives you. Either way you should know with some certainty whether it is hardware or software problem.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 11, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried resetting your router?
Checked the caps in it?
Many routers (even higher end models) have crap caps in them.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10 of 11, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry that I've not replied here sooner, please don't think I've fixed the problem and neglected to post the solution or thank anyone who helped. I've not done anything re: the problem due to real life problems and hardly being at home over the past couple of weeks. I'll post again when things calm down, and if anyone is kind enough to still care then hopefully you can help me address this problem. I wish PC problems or any possession's problems were the only trouble life ever threw at us.

Reply 11 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
Have you tried resetting your router? Checked the caps in it? Many routers (even higher end models) have crap caps in them. . […]
Show full quote

Have you tried resetting your router?
Checked the caps in it?
Many routers (even higher end models) have crap caps in them.

+1 and bad ventilation resulting in heat stress.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder