Common searches

Favourite / best FPS?

Topic actions

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's looking like there will be some quality time off at home soon and aside from working on / trying to finish a few projects... there may also be time to get the teeth stuck into one of the old First Person Shooters (FPS) from back in the day.

Trouble is that so many were played I feel spoilt for choice. The 4 or 5 most memorable (not to mention DOOM) that have been either played or completed the most are probably (though not in this order): -

1) Halflife
2) Unreal Tournament
3) Kingpin - Life of crime
4) System Shock 2
5) more recently... Fallout 3

So will no doubt pick out one of these. Halflife it's been so long I can barely remember but bits of it. Kingpin is up there too... the storyline was brilliant, navigating through the different parts of the city hiring muscle 'n' taking out the local bosses... I liked how they corroborated with Cypress Hill for the soundtrack. SS2 is another I could easily get back into; as I've forgotten that much of it... it would be almost like playing it for the first time again!

Anyone have any other suggestions that I’ve maybe overlooked? What were your best and most played FPS's?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 81, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you liked Fallout 3 check out New Vegas. Despite all the hate it gets I found it better in a lot of ways and worse in others, so it kinda balanced out to be very enjoyable. You could always get into Doom 2 or Doom 3, those are pretty dang fun!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 81, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In terms of sheer number of hours played - or invested in modding when I was younger & had time for such things 😁

Descent 1 & 2
Unreal 1 (+ Return to Na Pali expansion)
UT99
Rise of the Triad

(in no particular order)

Edit: just read the OP. if you're looking for some less-mainstream suggestions, I've also had some fun with Nexiuz (botmatch/deathmatch style gameplay) and Tecno: the Base(*) (fully fleshed-out single player mission) more recently. Both freeware.

I'll throw some more in here if I think of them, I like indie FPSes a lot more than the "AAA" ones these days.

(* Note: if you're worried about legality - Tecno WAS AVAILABLE AS FREEWARE before its site went down. The link is distributing a game that used to be readily available for download until recently! I still have the archive I got from the official site in ~2010 so I haven't tried the linked file. AND YES THAT IS THE CORRECT SPELLING OF 'TECNO'.)

Last edited by xjas on 2015-11-07, 03:37. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 81, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love DOOM but F.E.A.R is worth considering too. It has DOOM's simple, repetitive, addictive game-play and a modern(ish) engine. FarCry 1 is the game I credit with getting me back into P.C gaming, and I'm playing Crysis 2 at the moment, which is a very refined experience. It's not going to hold my attention for long though I suspect.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 81, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Far Cry 3 and It's on my top-10 favorites list.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 6 of 81, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you should try blood dragon and far cry 4 then.
If you want an unusual recommendation then
Frontlines-Fuel of War

FPS Games currently installed
h4dcooA.jpg

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 81, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In no particular order:

DOOM
Unreal 1
Descent
Magic Carpet 2
Counter Strike

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 81, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BEST FPS EVER!!!!:

1. ROTT by InterCepter Entertainment or should i say 3D Realms
2. Duke Nuke 'Em Forever By 3D Gearbox Realms
3. Serious Sam 3 Big F***king Encounter The best old shcool game
4. Halo the grand daddy of First Person Shooters
5. Roblox! You can do anything!

WORST FPS EVER!:

1. Quake - my poops are more colorful!!!
2. Have Life more like have no life.
3. Doom the graphics are blocky and a lego. Skip this on
4. Unreal Tornament has bots because no one play it.
5. Max Pain..... in the ass!!!!!!!!!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 81, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with all your worst FPS choices except for the original DOOM. It is blocky, but I find the graphics quite beautiful compared to DOOM 2. Its' also pretty interesting to find somebody who hates quake. I thought it was just me.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 14 of 81, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

from ~1990s: Undying, Wheel of Time, Unreal, Hitman, Deus Ex, Terminator: Future Shock/Skynet, Blood, Duke 3D, Chasm, Quake, Half-Life, Doom/2, No One Lives Forever/2

Last edited by Tertz on 2015-11-08, 14:56. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 15 of 81, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

FPS Games currently installed

I don't think i've ever seen so many FPS on one computer before! ... You must have quite a bit of storage space!?

From your list I see Deus Ex... that was pretty good too I remember.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 16 of 81, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All these recommendations are great... many I've not heard of, though there are a few others I do recognize.

Far Cry (1, 3 & 4) seems to be a consistent shout so I may check that out.

Reply 17 of 81, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
WORST FPS EVER!: […]
Show full quote

WORST FPS EVER!:

1. Quake - my poops are more colorful!!!
2. Have Life more like have no life.
3. Doom the graphics are blocky and a lego. Skip this on
4. Unreal Tornament has bots because no one play it.
5. Max Pain..... in the ass!!!!!!!!!

Haha... your worst hit 2 of the 5 I remember most... I must've had a sheltered upbringing! 🤣

Never got into Halo, but Duke 3D was the balls... I remember playing this on a mates 486 and we were all about the naked chicks in the cinema!

Reply 19 of 81, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I agree with all your worst FPS choices except for the original DOOM. It is blocky, but I find the graphics quite beautiful compared to DOOM 2. Its' also pretty interesting to find somebody who hates quake. I thought it was just me.

I can't believe someone actually fell for that. It's obviously a joke based on "modern" gamers. 🤣