VOGONS

Got a big problem with installing windows 95 from CD

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently some months ago i bought a genuine copy of microsoft windows 95 with USB (dont know which OSR it is) Dont see any OSR mentioned on the CD..

Trying to install it on a pentium 233 mmx machine i have build today as a startup..

Trying to get the windows 95 cd booted... But every time i tried it said it failed on booting from cd-rom.
But booting on an unofficial windows 95 boot diskette works..

If i look on the CD i really cant find any `setup` file to startup the installation.. inside ms-dos.
Other files that are on the cd only works in windows self..

Do i need to have a setup diskette to run the installation on the cd.. If not, does anybody knows if microsoft every released a bad copy on CD that didnt worked>>

The software is genuine and came out the shrimp wrap.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 18, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK the Windows 95 CD isn't bootable - you need an MS-DOS boot floppy with CD-ROM support to run the setup program which is in the WIN95 directory.
I recommend copying the WIN95 directory to the hard drive beforehand and running SETUP from there to speed up installation and avoid the need to put the CD in for built-in device drivers.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
133MHz wrote:

AFAIK the Windows 95 CD isn't bootable .

Correct...

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 18, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there windows 95 CD`s that are bootable? Or are non of them bootable?

I have a boot floppy that also activates the CD-rom support. But it isnt the original microsoft one.. Does it matter?

When i booted from floppy disk i can see the win95 directory listed on the CD.. But there isnt a EXE program that works in pure dos...

Do i need to extract the archived files manually? I thought there would be a setup program to run..

I think i found some answere i can try:

The "Companion" CD has no setup file. You have to take the long way 'round to install Windows with it.

(1) Copy the contents of the Win95 directory onto your harddrive into a new directory.

(2) Copy dossetup.bin, oemsetup.bin, oemsetup.exe, setup.exe, setup.txt, suhelper.bin, and winsetup.bin to the same directory (#1 above), from any version of Windows95.

(3) Run setup from the directory you chose in #1, above.

FYI: setup.exe was intentionally omitted from the CD to prevent users from installing OSR2 on another system. The CD should only be used for adding and/or removing OS components. Yes, I think the "Companion" concept is a ripoff, too.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20000610194620 … /companion.html

Last edited by Robin4 on 2015-11-16, 02:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

According my bible, "Microsoft Windows 95 Resource Kit" from Microsoft Press:

To start Windws 95 Setup from MS-DOS

• Start your computer in the usual way.
  • If you are installing Windows 95 from floppy disks, insert Disk 1 in the drive and make that the active drive. For example, type a: if the disk is in the A-drive.
    - Or -
    If you are installing Windows 95 from CD-ROM, put the compact disc in the drive and make that active drive.
  • At the command prompt, type setup, and then press ENTER.
  • Follow the instructions on-screen, as described in the follow sections of this chapter.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 18, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its an english version. Guys iam serious, iam not kidding.

Solution: I skip with this included CD.. Just burn an ISO CD and then using the original serial number.. Thats the only way around..
Otherwise i have to fiddle with files from an other windows 95 cd to get this cd running.

(2) Copy dossetup.bin, oemsetup.bin, oemsetup.exe, setup.exe, setup.txt, suhelper.bin, and winsetup.bin to the same directory (#1 above), from any version of Windows95.

Those files arent included on my setup windows 95 cd.

Reply 12 of 18, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 95 is just a bunch of cab files in a single directory...my routine back in the day was always the following..

1) boot floppy disk with CD-ROM support.
2) insert Windows 95 CD
3) mkdir c:\win95
4) copy d:\win95\* c:\win95 (xcopy is not usually on a boot disk)
5) c:
6) cd\win95
7) setup

No Setup file?? I've never come across that...Are you sure the CD is legit? What kind of Windows 95 CD is this? version? manual?

dir *.exe /s/p
dir setup.* /s/p

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 14 of 18, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I can verify this is a so-called Companion CD. I got one of those back in 2002 when I decommissioned a P200 Acer; the OSR2 CD had no setup files at all - they were actually located in the C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS directory. I grabbed and combined them with the OSR2 CD files and created a new, complete CD-R copy (I have since lost the Companion CD but still have the CD-R I created). Here is a quote from an old OSR2 FAQ, located here:

19 Apr 97 The part number on the face of my OSR2 CD is 000-45235. What does that mean?

You have a CD with all of the OSR2 files except the setup program ("setup.exe"). This CD is distributed by some large OEMs with complete systems. The idea is, you have all the OSR2 files, in case you want to add or remove OS components, however, you have no setup.exe file, so you can't install OSR2 on another system. However, if you copy all of the files from the CD onto a hard disk, and then copy dossetup.bin, oemsetup.bin, oemsetup.exe, setup.exe, setup.txt, suhelper.bin, and winsetup.bin to the same directory from any version of Windows 95, you can then run setup and install from that directory.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 15 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On mine the setup.exe file is found inside the "Win95" directory on the CD.
IIRC a Win98 startup floppy with CD-ROM support (many available on the web) will let you install W95 and should be a lot less hassle than what you're doing.
Boot with the floppy, navigate to the Win95 directory on the CD and run the setup.exe file.
- I could be wrong. Been a long time for that.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 16 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I get what you are saying.
People are right, If you had a standard Windows 95 CD, it would be as simple as booting from any dos/Win9x floppy and typing setup from either the root or Win95 folder.
BUT
You don't have a standard Win95 CD, You have a CD modified by say, Dell, HP, etc. So normal methods wont work.

If it was me I would "find" a standard Win95 CD online somewhere and just use your key, rather then messing around with file locations, extracting files and so on.

Reply 17 of 18, by Pink Lightning

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2015-11-16, 02:36:

Win95 predates the wide adoption of El Torito so no it's not bootable.

Just use a Win95 startup boot disk, load a CD-ROM driver, CD your way to the Win95 directory, type setup. Easy.

You might be looking for install.exe because in the 90's it was more common for things to have install.exe than setup.exe