VOGONS

First post, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can anyone teach me how to read the attached table? I have never truly understood what an IRQ actually physically is. Here are some random questions that come to mind when I look at this table. I hope the questions can help you see how lost I am. Maybe someone can sort me out. Thanks!

What is INT_A B C D?

What does the table mean when it marks some columns as shared?

Why is INT_C marked shared on PCI slot 3, but with nothing else? The other columns always say at least 2 items are shared. I was getting the idea, that shared meant with anither slot in the same column. But this table seems to suggest PCI Slot 3 is shared, but noth with other slots??

Does marking shared on AGP and PCI Slot 1, mean those two slots are sharing between eachother?

Why does marking shared matter, if you have to give each device a unique IRQ?

Cards I commonly try to mix together:
GeForce 2 TI (agp)
Voodoo 1
Voodoo 2
Voodoo 2 (sli)
Aureal (diamond monster sound)
AWE 64 (isa)

Does enabling or disabling "Assign VGA an IRQ" help me with any of these cards?

Does marking a slot as reserved or PCI help?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

16-bit ISA bus have 11 interrupt lines for each slot. B4 (IRQ2), B21-B25 (IRQ7-IRQ3) and D3-D7 (IRQ10-IRQ12, IRQ15, IRQ14) pins. Each ISA card can grab one of them. And each IRQ line can support 1 device only.
Standard PCI bus have only 4 interrupt lines in each slot. Int#A-Int#D, A6, B7, A7 and B8 pins. But each can be used by several devices = shared. Shared devices can't use IRQ in the same time.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 7, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To get a full range of PCI Int A-D IRQ's, you must have 4 free ISA IRQs, otherwise the PCI ones share even more, so disable the COM ports in BIOS if not using them.

PCI uses level based, rather than edge based IRQ like ISA, so devices can share, but certain devices will not (SCSI cards generally want a unique one).
Where things have to share, it's best to keep the busiest ones separated.

Also, the IDE/ATA normally occupies INT 14/15 whether it's ISA or PCI, so slots 2 and 3 may be clear, but can be shared if short of IRQs

Reply 3 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Think of (I)nter(R)upt re(Q)uests as electrical lines that the devices can use to signal to the CPU that they need its attention. If you have 6 devices that sometimes needs to interrupt the CPU because they have something important to tell it, then it is nice if also have 6 IRQ lines. Then it is simply a matter of each device signalling on its assigned IRQ-line and the CPU will immediately know who signaled and what to do. Simple, fast, etc.

But what do you do if you only have 6 lines and 10 devices? Then some of them must share an IRQ-line. And the CPU will have to ask each of the devices "Was it you?" when the line is pulled. That is a bit slower, and it requires the devices to smart enough to answer the CPU when it comes asking.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 7, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The added issue with IRQ was that in the days of pure ISA / VLB, interrupts were edge driven, so could not share - if a second interrupt occurred before being cleared, it would be lost.

PCI interrupts are level driven, so when shared, after the first is cleared, the second is still signalling for attention, so PCI can and does share, but some devices and drivers are not good with it.

For optimal performance, it's best if simultaneously active devices do not share, but with many systems not bothering to give a table, it's not worth being too fussy unless something fails to work.

Under old style "PIC" (programmable interrupt controller), there are no extra IRQs, so the PCI ones are stolen from the ISA pool (hence, make sure there are 4 unused).
Under the newer "APIC" (advanced...), there are additional PCI IRQs.

Finally, every PCI Slot has access to INT A-D for devices that may (a few combined devices) use more than 1 - the allocation is rotated between slots, as all devices use their own INT A line.

PS. From BIOS Optimization Guide, it says most VGA cards do require an IRQ, so the option should be enabled.