VOGONS

First post, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's called HERC.COM and I found it while doing a floppy image from a very old magazine diskette in which it's used to run a Multipede game but I tested it with Rastan too and it seems to work apparently better than UniCGA because the scrolling is smoother

Reply 3 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That does not work for me. For me the best is "EMU" and "EMU0" (Scanline),
both are in my MDA.ZIP. Don't know what the other small com-files do,
but executing the "EMU" leads back to dosprompt in lowres, after that
most cga-games run and look quite good on mda. It has some issues when
switching back to Textmode (80). Therefore an other CGA-Emulator is needed.

here is an (quick&dirty) example of an XT-MDA Compact-Disk (VGAcopy needed to write back the disk).
It works fine on a Schneider Euro-PC in MDA Mode. (XT@9,54Mhz)

CAUTION! the "emu" changes the hercules-screen mode to 60hz!!

Attachments

• Filename
    EPCMDA01.VCP.zip
    File size
    302.48 KiB
    Downloads
    146 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2015-12-13, 09:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 4 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now I have a big problem with my favorite CGA-Emulator http://www.sorgonet.com/8086/CGA_emulation/
It worked well on my Schneider EuroPC XT with Hercules on a Mitsubishi MultiScan/Sync CRT.
Now I connected the original Hercules Monitor MM12 with the PC. Both emulators have issues.

"emu" produces a stuttering picture. it does not stand still. On the multisync it was alway ok.
"emu0" has a still pictures but lots of highlighted dots all over the screen. "cls" command does not delete them.
What a pity, the other emulators are so slow "hgcibm" or do have other issues.

What can I do and why is it differnt to what hercules on a mulitscan instead of a real hercules monitor.
I prefer the Hercules-Monitor because the color ist much more intense and the picture seems very sharp.
But if I can't find a fast and compatible cga-emulator I will have to switch back to the multiscan-crt.

Thx
Doc

Reply 6 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That can be true. I think the Hercules-Monitor is only capable of 50hz, but the multiscan can do up to 80hz!
btw. the "emu0" works now with 40 or 80 but the scanlines are not so nice.

Karateka and Prince1 support both Hercules and they look really great on the MM12 Monitor.
They seem to be much more Hires then the emulation-stuff.

Reply 9 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

interesting thing that "retro erik" get's some cga-games to work with "herc.com" the cga-emulator that is totally small, much smaller then any other and it works really good.

Reply 10 of 10, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's the need of posting this in here if DOSBox emulates CGA already, therefore avoiding the need of any kind of extra software?
(now I realized that there isn't a need, it's just for fun, please excuse my omega cringe self from 2017)

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)