VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While I remember this problem cropping up every so often for years, I seem to be seeing this more often these days and wondered if anyone knows any particular factors that can cause it? I'm talking about when you get an older game, pop the CD into your drive, real or virtual, then run the installer, then say "Yes" at the UAC prompt. Instead of the installer starting or just crashing or whatever, instead nothing happens at all. if you go into task manager you can see the installer sat there in the list of tasks, but the installation window never appears.

Anyone any ideas on the matter?

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 1 of 14, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had this a lot recently on windows XP with newer spplications, things like uTorrent, VLC, MPC, even some browsers etc, it's usually because I have done a re-install of the OS and forgotten to do the service pack 3 upgrade.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 4 of 14, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Deleting temp folder content frequently solves installer issues. Some program which crashed before might have left something there irritating the installer.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 6 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find my work PC with 2 screens doesn't fire up installers sometimes unless one screen is disabled. Odd bug for sure, but my work PC is old and odd!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 7 of 14, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Logitech software is also to be blame a lot of times!

Is that so? I do have a G15 keyboard and the LCD drivers installed... I'll be sure to try quitting that in future (assuming that's sufficient just to close/quit the LCD driver program?)

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 8 of 14, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Multiple NTVDM's that a lot of people don't even know they've been started.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 9 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
BuckoA51 wrote:

Logitech software is also to be blame a lot of times!

Is that so? I do have a G15 keyboard and the LCD drivers installed... I'll be sure to try quitting that in future (assuming that's sufficient just to close/quit the LCD driver program?)

I had that Logitech Process Monitor bite me years ago (using a web camera): Big List Of Dodgy Apps [*].

* A list of applications that interfere with the normal working of Cygwin by intrusively injecting themselves in the system call chain. First used on the Cygwin mailing list by Dave Korn.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 14, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Encountered this issue again today while installing the game Rollcage. I disabled all my startup apps and that cured it, so it's something that starts with my PC. I'm not one of these people who goes "oh I better not run that it might affect my fps by .0000001%", actually quite the opposite so I don't know what particular bit of junk/useful software it is that is causing the problem. It doesn't seem to be the Logitech keyboard stuff but I need to investigate further really.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 11 of 14, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Traced the problem with Metal Fatigue to, you guessed it, Logitech Gaming Software! Seems it's not always enough to just exit the program, you have to exit and reboot without restarting it.

Shame as I do use the LCD on my G15 keyboard.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 12 of 14, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had that problem happen with the installers of kool karaoke, viavoice outloud 4.0, and creative soundfont librarian. I'm doing a disk cleanup, just to be safe.

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ

Reply 14 of 14, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

because it didn't. I don't have any logitech stuff on this pc, so logitech gaming software is out the window, too.

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ