VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Un Information

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like instead of DOSBox itself doing it? I've tried to see if it could work, but all I get is a tiny screen surrounded by black.

Reply 1 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Un Information wrote:

Like instead of DOSBox itself doing it? I've tried to see if it could work, but all I get is a tiny screen surrounded by black.

i am not sure DOSBox itself is doing the scaling. DOSBox uses a graphics library called SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) which in turn utilizes OpenGL and DirectX. And hopefully OpenGL/DirectX is smart enough to pass the task of scaling directly to whatever driver you have for your graphics card.

My question is: Why do you want to let the monitor do the scaling?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 5, by Un Information

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

My question is: Why do you want to let the monitor do the scaling?

Because with CRT monitors you get those "lines" and I appreciate that look.

philscomputerlab wrote:

Just to clarify what you want. Do you "just" want the image to be full screen?

Yeah, but not scaled by DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember an existing thread about this, might be worth looking at some of the older threads.

My personal take is, if you care that much about authenticity, use a real DOS machine 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 5, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have a read of the comments in dosbox.conf. It says you should use "fullresolution=original" if you want the monitor to do scaling, and if you get a small picture with black around it, to try a different output device as the one you are using does not support that resolution.

Using "fullresolution=original" will cause DOSBox to tell the output surface (e.g. OpenGL) to change resolution to whatever the game uses, like 320x200. It will only work if 1) the output method supports changing of the screen resolution ("output=surface" appears not to) and 2) your operating system, video card and drivers are capable of setting that resolution.