What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 440 of 5932, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Stiletto wrote:

mmmmm DX-Ball. My roommate and I were such DX-Ball 1 addicts in college it wasn't funny. 😀

My sister's husband got so addicted to DX-Ball 2 it nearly broke up their engagement (I'm not kidding! 😮 ). It took a lot of apologies and promises before they got back in good terms with each other (and one of those promises was to stop playing DX-Ball 2 for good, and somehow he's kept it to this day).

xjas wrote:

My personal favorite Arkanoid/Breakout game is Cyber Sphere. I got the Amiga version an emu/shovelware CD I picked up in Berlin (Amiga Classics Gold), and loved it. I later found out there's a solid DOS port with *really good* MOD -> OPL conversions of the music. Great soundtrack, wildly colorful graphics, responsive controls & a few nice innovations on the typical formula. Believe it's freeware these days.

Yup, Cyber Sphere is freeware alright; I got both it and Cyber Sphere Plus but haven't played either yet. And after watching this ADG review from Gemini000 I'm going to give them both a good try ^^.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 443 of 5932, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried out Deus Ex: Invisible War yesterday...was not too bad, but didn't have the same appeal to me as the first right off the bat. Going to play it some more this weekend and see how it goes. It might grow on me.

Reply 444 of 5932, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing a lot of Survarium through STEAM but that's not exactly retro, the game is still in development. It's also very un-optimized and needs a pretty hefty machine to run smoothly. As I am currently in-between graphics cards I've had to put Survarium on the back burner for now. I tried to run it with my backup card (HD4870) and it brought that ancient Titan to it's knees, a jittery 10-25fps and as a result unplayable. Never fear though, I have my friends GTX980 lined up for December once he upgrades.

So I have been going back to the oldschool lately. Here's a few of what I've been playing...

HOMM4.jpg
Filename
HOMM4.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Heroes of Might and Magic 4... I got tired of HOMM6 with the bugs and whatnot. HOMM7 looks to have gone the exact same way too. For me HOMM4 was the best.

shogun.jpg
Filename
shogun.jpg
File size
935.8 KiB
Views
File license

Shogun Total War (the first one - still not started the second...).

SSHOCK2.jpg
Filename
SSHOCK2.jpg
File size
728.2 KiB
Views
File license

Last week I did another play through of System Shock 2. Tried out the higher tech energy weapons this time (something I've never done). Not overly impressed, despite not needing actual ammo thanks to the recharge stations littered throughout the levels, even the beast energy cannon was very weak against all bio enemies.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 445 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was mucking around with my 286 the other night and happened to boot Prince of Persia up and I'm hooked all over again. Initially I was playing with a Gravis pad, which is quite accurate, but occasionally the prince would jump when I wanted him to run, and a mistake usually means instant death. Keyboard is the way to go.

I'm under the impression that you can save your progress but I'll have to break out my manual to check. There might be a penalty for saving? Not sure.

IMG_5143_zps8268ce58.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 447 of 5932, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri.

I had to switch difficulty down to "Neighbourhood Watch" because one of the missions is so badly designed I can't seem to win it regardless of what I try on the higher difficulties.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 448 of 5932, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in a Star Wars craze at the moment, so I've gone back and started playing The Old Republic again (first time since the beta). My sister just really got into Star Wars with watching the origina trilogy, the prequels, and Ep7 last night so we're going to play together.

I've been going through the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games as well again. Jedi Outcast is far more frustrating that I remember...I've kind of taken a break from it.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 449 of 5932, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just played through Doom III again. Took around 11-12 hours to finish but I ensure I open every storage locker and find as many secrets as possible. Not my first playthrough but my first in a long time. An amazing game. Hard to believe how good the game looks for a 12 year old game.

Also it was funny running the timedemo with this GTX980 + i5-2500K. I remember playing Doom 3 on an AGP Geforce 6200 (yes... a 6200) with a Pentium 4 2.0Ghz back when it released. I actually finished the game on Hard on that PC. Had to hack the config files to hell and back to get somewhere close to 60fps in 800x600. A few months later I upgraded my entire rig to an Athlon 64 3000+ and an AGP 6800XT with the vertex + shader pipes unlocked and I played through Doom III again. It was far more enjoyable that time around. I just finished playing it on my current rig in 1920x1200 and averaging 290fps. How times change...

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 450 of 5932, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Keyboard is the way to go.
I'm under the impression that you can save your progress but I'll have to break out my manual to check.

I came to the same conclusion, one misstep = death 😵
Awesome game. There is definitely a save function, but I don't think it's really needed with the 60 minute time limit.
A successful run requires concentration for that whole time, so saving and picking up later will probably result in failure anyway 😎

I think my best time was somewhere around 35 minutes.

Reply 452 of 5932, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In 2016 I'm making an effort to actually finish some games!

Over Christmas I tackled Maniac Mansion. I was expecting it to be a bit of a slog but it was actually a lot of fun.
You can select up to three playable characters, which is fairly unique for a point-and-click adventure. Each combination of characters has unique puzzles and a different ending. There's a great video on Youtube with Ron Gilbert talking about the headaches this caused them during the development of the game.

This game does have deaths and dead-ends, but nothing too punishing. Graphically it's no masterpiece, as I believe the C64 version imposed restrictions, but it's colourful and each character is unique. Playing with Tandy sound, there's only two pieces of music and some sound effects, but it does the job.

I've completed it for one ending, and I guess at some point I might come back and try different characters. Each playthrough is short and sweet. Some of the puzzles are great fun, and you can certainly see the genesis of later LucasArts games here. The exploding hamster gag is a favourite 😵 Definitely worth a play for anyone who likes adventure games.

Played the enhanced version from this compilation that I got for Xmas 95. And thank goodness because this game is ridiculously expensive on eBay. I don't know why it's not on GOG or Steam yet. However, the game is included with Day Of The Tentacle, which is much easier to get hold of.
PzK6LFpl.jpg

Choose 3 of 7 playable characters.
OUocNkHl.jpg

You enter a spooky (haunted?) mansion...
JPgYH7El.jpg

And discover an observatory, dungeon and many other crazy things.
d82pZqKl.jpg
b0Vw6kjl.jpg

Push the wrong button and this might happen.
7ejuMEZl.jpg

Reply 453 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maniac Mansion! That is very groovy. I've been meaning to attempt a play through on my C64 but haven't managed it yet.

I'm going through a slump at the movement. I was in a Star Wars mood after The Force Awakens so fired up Dark Forces; 3 levels in I remembered why I've never finished - tedious puzzle level design. Then I booted up Tie Fighter, but wasn't feeling it. Wing Commander III likewise came and went.

Must be a mid-life crisis come early.

Reply 455 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before retro-fever hit me a couple months ago, the only games I ever played were Battle for Wesnoth (very addicting turn-based open source game) and occasional Minecraft.

In the past couple of weeks since getting my DOS retro-rig up and running, I've been playing a bunch of old games, seeing which ones keep calling me back for more. Unfortunately, I remembered how hard X-wing was and after failing the 2nd mission twice and having to start all over, I walked away from it for now.

The ones I'm playing the most now are Wing Commander 1, System Shock 1, and Duke Nukem 3D. I'm probably going to dive into WC2, Wings of Glory, or Pacific Strike when I'm done with WC1.

I also have System Shock 2 waiting for me on my Win98 retro-rig, but that is set up in another room that is less convenient for me to go to. My plan is to get a workbench that will fit both machines so I can have them in the same office.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 458 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Haha. Time to buy a convertible and/or a motorbike!

Arg I couldn't think of anything worse!

Fortunately all this talk of a Crisis reminded me that I'd started Crisis 2 a while back, so I picked up where I'd left off and my slump is over!

"Cloak engaged"

shoot shoot bang!

Reply 459 of 5932, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjt wrote:

Haha. Time to buy a convertible and/or a motorbike!

In that case I got my mid-life crisis when I was 19.. 😊 And it's still going.. 🤣 🤣

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊