VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TOOGAM

User metadata

When DOSBox 0.62 came out, I tried it and found that it just showed me a blank screen in the primary window. Since 0.62 had just come out, and reading documentation seemed to imply things would work and things weren't working, I decided to try 0.61 rather than the brand new version. DOSBox 0.61 did, and still does, work like a charm.

DOSBox 0.63 now works no better for me than 0.62 did. It just shows me a blank screen in the primary window, never showing me the initial DOS prompt. What can I do to resolve this?

And my system info:
Motherboard: K7T Turbo (by MSI)
Processor type: AMD 1.1 GHz (or maybe a 1.4 GHz... I never remember which chip was placed in my system and I never look it up. Just tell me to try harder to find the speed if anyone cares.)
RAM: Varies. Right now I have 512MB in, but that can vary from 256MB to 768MB.
Video board: Elsa Gladiac 920 GeForce 3, 64MB of RAM on that thing.
Sound Board: Some cheap thing by a company called "Mad dog". I have an SB Live collecting dust not too far away.
Game name: I am seeing to see a command line so I can try some games in the newest version.
Description of problem: I don't see any sprites or text characters, no matter what I hit.
Reproducability: 100%.
Sound mode used: sb16
Video mode: Err, whatever the default it. I haven't messed with any video mode options.
Steps taken: Documentation read, multiple versions tried, config options experimented with in the old versions (but without any noticable changes... 0.61 still worked and 0.62 didn't, so the config files were reversed), posting this now on website.

Reply 1 of 6, by zorach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TOOGAM wrote:

Video mode: Err, whatever the default it. I haven't messed with any video mode options.
Steps taken: Documentation read, multiple versions tried, config options experimented with in the old versions

It's not clear what exactly you've changed, so bear with me if you've done this already. At least you can use 0.61 to generate a config file and then try it in 0.63 😀
-Have you tried both output=surface and output=overlay?
-Tried setting the environment variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER to windib?
-Have the latest video card drivers and DirectX?
What OS you're running might also be relevant....

Reply 2 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
zorach wrote:

At least you can use 0.61 to generate a config file and then try it in 0.63 😀

Do not do that (a lot of things has changed)! Windows installer of 0.63 contains the default DOSBOX.CONF. Try to change output modes etc...
Try to use a different SDL.DLL (for example the one from 0.61).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@guest above:
Game specific problems should be in DOSBOX games/Apps. Nobody will notice you here. If you already made a report there some time ago, you can try to *bump* it (e.g. by telling that it does not work in 0.63 either). Things get fixed, but there is only limited number of developers, so it takes time.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:

But you dissallow anonymous posts there.
Doing so just pushes people to post here instead (that's why you keep getting unrelated posts all the time).

If it depended on me, I would forbid anonymous posting completely (even here)! When somebody wants help, he should bother to register...

Mirek