VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cheesus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know how to get it working in windows XP?

I tried installing in compatility mode, running in compatability mode... Each time i get a blank DOS window.

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Windows 95 ver of Mech2 or the DOS Ver? You state that you hav the Windows ver but you also say that a "DOS" (No DOS in NT4/2K/XP, but the "DOS" Emulator NTVDM) Windows shows up. Never ran the Win95 ver of Mech2 before so I'm not sure what you mean.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Cheesus Its the Win95/pentium edition, A 640x480 window pops up ...

It doesn't look good. I scanned through old Google messages and this appears quite common. The general consensus seems to be that the Windows version of MechWarrior can't be run on modern machines due it's use of DirectX 2, which is (apparently) incompatible with anything that came after...

This isn't one of those versions that came with the video card, is it?

Microsoft just says to run the DOS version, no explanation. Hrrm.

Ugh...Just found this:
https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activ … wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

This sounds like another good reason for a dual-boot.

UPDATE: Seems like nobody can get this to run, with the possible exception of this guy, who seems to be saying it's an NTFS issue (while also being sarcastic....hrmmm).
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie= … anet.net#link11

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The DOS version works fine in 2K/XP (with some help from NOLFB & Mouse2KV) so I'd try that. Did the 95 ver of Mech2 come with DOS executables?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 8, by Sir MMPD Radick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool thx hooby, I will try that one right away! 😀

As for the Windows 95 pentium version, I have gotten it to run once on Windows XP.
Unfortuneatly, it was on a Upgraded Windows 98SE to RC1 Windows XP, so it was a fat 32 partition.
No idea if this would work anymore, I been toying with trying again.

Anywho, if anyone that has win 98 that uses the win95 edition wants a online game on kali.net feel free to pm me, I am always looking for more players to play! 😀