Common searches

Duke Nukem IP Ownership Change

Topic actions

First post, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GOG.com has indicated that the following titles are being removed (at least temporarily) from their catalog due to IP ownership changes at the end of 2015:

Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition
Duke Nukem 1+2
Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project
Balls of Steel

Consequently the above bundle is selling for 90% off until the end of the month:

http://www.gog.com/news/weekly_staff_picks_fa … ll_for_now_duke

This IP ownership change is also affecting sales of the Duke Nukem titles and the 3D Realms Anthology on Steam and the 3D Realms store as well. The 3D Realms Anthology is currently selling for just $9.99 and well also be unavailable after 31 December 2015:

https://3drealms.com/catalog/3d-realms-anthology_50/

Steam is selling the 3D Realms Anthology for the same price through 4 January 2016:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/61948/

Reply 1 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They also pulled Descent for similar reasons. This le 😵 gal stuff is just a huge pain in the neck

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 20, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sweet thanks! Purchased from both GOG and Steam due to the price!

Ah the Steam bundle includes Terminal Velocity which is cool. I played Fury 3 back in the day (Microsoft licensed; similar game) so I will be interested to play Terminal Velocity.

Also Bio Menance, I played that on my 286 a lot. Cool game.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 3 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The interceptor releases are really lazy poorly configured dosbox releases though

22khz sound, and daum cafe builds defaulting to direct3d, aspect=false normal3x fullscreen for some reason.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 20, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I just got the GOG offer.

I seriously hate IP laws, patents and copyrights...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 20, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The GoG Duke Nukem 3D is more compatible with eDuke32, third party mods and levels. But the Steam offer gives you Duke Nukem 3D and the official add-ons (although I must admit that I only enjoyed the Caribbean add-on... Nuclear Winter is not that good and Duke It Out in D.C. is lame).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 20, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Steam's Duke 3D from the Anthology comes with DOSBox and EDuke32. It has all add-ons (plus Duke!ZONE II), but it's not the Megaton Edition.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 10 of 20, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Which means you better get it while you can because the new owner will probably ask a ridiculous amount of money for it in order to recover their investment.

Maybe they shouldn't of invested and bought the IP rights in the first place.....................

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 11 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Which means you better get it while you can because the new owner will probably ask a ridiculous amount of money for it in order to recover their investment.

Maybe they shouldn't of invested and bought the IP rights in the first place.....................

They may have been thinking of someone wanting to make more Duke games in the future and having to go to them for permission but until that happens, they have to start recouping their investment somehow and that means overcharging for the existing games, at least for a little while. It's like when renters complain when a new landlord buys the building they live in and raises the rent. They don't understand that the value of the building may have gone up substantially since the old landlord bought it and now the new owner has a bigger mortgage to pay and maintenance expenses always go up due to inflation but they think the landlord should be forced to operate at a loss just so they can save a few bucks. It's not the landlord who's being greedy, it's the tenants.

Reply 12 of 20, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

It's not the landlord who's being greedy, it's the tenants.

It's still the landlord being greedy. The rental rate isn't a secret, so if it's not already profitable, they shouldn't buy it. If they simply want it to be /more/ profitable, I'm pretty sure that's the definition of greed.

Not saying that greed is either good or bad (and of course tenants wanting a freeze or decrease are being greedy as well), but let's call a spade a spade.

WRT the Duke Nukem IP, I doubt the buyer specifically bought the Duke IP. They probably just bought up a company whose portfolio happened to include said IP. There are likely other parts of that portfolio that are profitable. I would expect no change.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 20, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In this case, the IP value has NOT gone up. Instead, the value of these games should be at least equal (they're very old games, I guess they reached their bottom value unless someone decide to not charge for them) or even less because of Duke Nukem Forever.

Note that maybe the copyright owner has not changed, but the authorized resellers. Maybe the company x had the rights to sell the game until 2016 and they have not renewed those rights (lack of interest, unable to reach a deal with the copyright owner), so the rights reverted to the copyright owner (and GoG needs to reach a deal with them).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 14 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't *wait* until the inevitable great 'copyright crash' comes, and all the parasite businesses who made their money buying & selling "IP" while never developing any product of their own go under. It's gonna happen in our lifetimes, folks.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 15 of 20, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

^ +1 all the way! 😏

IP holders have had it too good up to now, but sooner or later the gravy train has to stop. There's no way they can continue to do this forever.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 16 of 20, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the story with the Duke Nukem takedown. Gearbox still owns Duke Nukem. More than ever now. This is what happened. 3D Realms previously retained the rights to all Duke Nukem games before DNF. They lost these rights because they tried making a new 3rd person isometric action Duke Nukem title called Mass Destruction by attempting to take advantage of a loophole in the contract they signed with Gearbox. Gearbox's lawyers probably slammed down on them and they lost the lawsuit and any rights to Duke they had left.

On the plus side, Duke Nukem Megaton Edition on Steam (which also comes with a DOSBox version with all 3 expansions) is unaffected because it wasn't a 3DR released title, but rather Devolver's. All this said, I believe that Gearbox will rerelease the games themselves they just need to get these versions that 3DR put up and are collecting profits from off the net so they can put up their own. But time will tell, I guess.

Apparently, Parallax pulled the plug on Interplay's Descent I and Descent II games on Steam and GOG because they hadn't been paying Parallax royalties since 2007! They finally just pulled the plug. Parallax did say that they would be happy to work it out with Interplay...but I can't see that happening, considering how much debt they must be in.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 17 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
It's still the landlord being greedy. The rental rate isn't a secret, so if it's not already profitable, they shouldn't buy it. […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

It's not the landlord who's being greedy, it's the tenants.

It's still the landlord being greedy. The rental rate isn't a secret, so if it's not already profitable, they shouldn't buy it. If they simply want it to be /more/ profitable, I'm pretty sure that's the definition of greed.

Not saying that greed is either good or bad (and of course tenants wanting a freeze or decrease are being greedy as well), but let's call a spade a spade.

WRT the Duke Nukem IP, I doubt the buyer specifically bought the Duke IP. They probably just bought up a company whose portfolio happened to include said IP. There are likely other parts of that portfolio that are profitable. I would expect no change.

Except you're wrong about the rent. If the previous owner paid $500,000 for the building 10 years ago, he is going to base the rents on his mortgage plus expenses with a reasonable profit. If the new owner buys the building today for $1,000,000 and expenses have gone up, he can't continue to charge the same rent. The current rents might be profitable for the previous owner, but won't be for the new buyer. The new buyer has every right to profit from his investment, just like the previous owner was. Only a Communist would suggest otherwise.