VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since this bug doesn't affect regular dosbox (mainly because it doesnt have built-in fluidsynth support to begin with), I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get any "official" help here. The fact that the build of Dosbox Daum I am using is an older one (known bug concerning Dosbox Daum wanting to load a 32-bit library in linux when said library can't be installed on 64-bit debian based distros) does not help matters. Here I go:

I decided to test the fluidsynth support that dosbox daum has (even though I should be asleep by now. Seriously, it's almost 3 AM where I live), but found the fluidsynth audio to be of very low quality for some reason. Suggestions?

Reply 1 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you record the same MIDI sequence using Fluidsynth and Bassmidi with the same soundfont? It'd be good to compare.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 5, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bassmidi doesn't list itself as a device is dosbox daum. When it comes to midi devices, I prefer internal ones, like Fluidsynth and MUNT, because that way I can record the midi through the video recorder.

Reply 4 of 5, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you used the command-line Fluidsynth apps to play some songs, to see whether the problem lies with DOSBox or with Fluidsynth?

Reply 5 of 5, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Set your mixer rate to 44100 or 48000. 22050 sounds really bad when it comes to midi, both MT32 and Fluidsynth.

And there is also a problem with Fluidsynth's gain settings in ykhwong's build. The default gain he uses is 0.6, and that's too high for most games and/or soundfonts. The amount of distortion e.g. with SGM-V2.01.sf2 along with Warcraft 2 is earsplitting.

I had the same problem in MagicDosbox (Android), and could solve it by setting "synth.gain=4" or even lower in dosbox.conf (that value's divided by ten internally, so it's effectively 0.4). But somehow, this doesn't help in ykhwong's build. He's either using a different parameter, or a hardcoded value. Either way, I'd suggest you contact him directly.

"What's a paladin?!"