VOGONS

First post, by Concat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I quite new to DOSBox, but I have managed to get a handful of my old favorites to work wonderfully on my tablet. I have, however, come across a few issues getting the sound to work on some titles. These titles all have a setup file and sound options, but I feel like I'm just doing trial and error over and over again.

I've read the wiki on sound in DOSBox, but unfortunately, it's really just a high level overview. I am running DOSBox Turbo.

I seem to have the most trouble with games that have separate card options for music and sound fx, like Doom. I can get the sound FX to work, but not the music... even when I have the same selections. I've tried General Midi, port 330, and that doesn't work either.

A lot of my frustration stems from not understanding the port addresses, IRQ, and what to do when they ask for cards for both music and sound. Can they both be the same card, same port address?

It makes it tougher to troubleshoot on Android because most of the troubleshooting I find is specific to PC. Anyone care to help or point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This forum is for support for the official build of DOSBox. DOSBox Turbo is not supported here. Try asking the author of DOSBox Turbo.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 3, by DrJones

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Concat,I have used DOSBox Turbo before, though that was ages ago (2012) and I don't know what state it is in nowadays.

However, to answer you, the port address and IRQ can be the same for both music and sound. A game like Doom, if using something like a Sound Blaster, could use it for both music and sound.
If you only had an Adlib card, you could only use it for music and have the sound come out of the PC speaker.

Assuming DOSBox Turbo uses default soundcard settings like DOSBox does, using defaults in the setup program should work for you just fine. DOSBox's default settings are Address 220, Interrupt 7, DMA 1, High DMA 5 and Card Type 6.

To really make sure your game runs properly, install DOSBox on your computer and try there as well.
If that works, but not in DOSBox Turbo then your best bet is contacting the DOSBox Turbo author.