Topic actions

Reply 300 of 532, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

DOOM 3 - Most people already expressed the same disappointed on how pretty it could be, but in the end just a tech demo and not a game.

It had its scary and tense bits, and IMO, good enough to play once. But other than Hell, no level is really worth a replay.

Interesting, hell is where I am bored. I never understood why so many people completely write Doom 3 off, instead of accepting it is not a game for everyone. Perhaps many people who enjoyed old Dooms expected miraculously similar experience ten years later.

Reply 302 of 532, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

I'd want to know what masterpiece games appeared after 2010 as can't remember even one.

It's all down to personal opinion and taste, of course, and I do think that the past decade has seen a decline in the quality of games (at least in first person shooters, my favourite genre), but I'd still list the following games as all time classics:

Batman: Arkham City (the best of the four Arkham games, in my opinion),

Bioshock 2 (*much* better than Bioshock 1, B2 fixes most of B1's faults, though sadly not the inverse difficulty curve),

GTA V (monumentally better than the boring, tech demo that was GTA IV),

Portal 2,

Singularity (a bit slow in places, but when it works it's fantastic),

Skyrim (50% of gamers call this a classic, the other half say it's dumbed down rubbish, but as someone new to RPGs, I found it easy enough to get to grips with (unlike Morrowind, which I found rather confrontational in it'd depth), so perhaps a player's judgement of Skyrim depends at least partly on how deep an RPG system they can handle),

Vanquish (maybe not a masterpeice, but it's a very playable, and everyone I know of who played it loves it.

No doubt there are more I'd list, but I can't recall them offhand. Some, like Far Cry 4, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Arkham Knight, I'd say are mostly very good, but not classics. And games like Bioshock: Infinite, Thief (the 2013 reboot, not the classic Thief 1 and 2 from the 1990s), and the seemingly endless slew of 'remasters' (where a last generation console game is re-released on a new console, with nothing new except updated graphics) have really disappointed me. I don't like where gaming is going at the moment.

Still, I have eight consoles, a PC, and lots of games for every machine, so I'm never short of fantastic games to play.

Reply 303 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

BioShock - Raved about by reviewers, I ended up just watching a YT video with all the story bits and cutscene's because as a game, it's just drivel. No matter what I do this game just gives me a damn headache when I try to play it.

Oh boy, did I struggle through this one. The environments were so beatiful, that I actually plodded on and on, repressing how boring, tedious and monotonous the game itself is. The stupid pipe mazes were somewhat fun like the first 100 times, but come on, couldn't you at least come up with a few different puzzles and not the same thing over and over? The enemies repeat the same dumb one-liners; it would be better if they just emitted mindless roars like the zombies in DOOM.

I'm with you guys. 🤣

I found Infinite to be the least annoying of the bunch. It was still a mindless on-rails shooting gallery though. The fun with these games is seeing the environments for the first time, and most of the storytelling.

Reply 304 of 532, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sedrosken wrote:

Didn't play Unreal II but from all the concurrence on it being disappointing I have to wonder whether I'm better off for not having played it.

It is disappointing if you try to see it as Unreals successor...which imo it isn't.
But frankly, despite this (and some other gameplay stuff), I did find it a rather nice game to play.

What I did like a lot about Unreal II is the level design. I think the levels are very diverse and gameplay is kinda "how am I gonna approach this?"-ish, but you can also just blast your way through plenty of times. It's very diverse and some levels were finishable in more than one way (finding extra ways to complete a level in ways that were not intended is kinda extra replayability to me 😜)

I couldn't make it past the level where you have to place these turrets and basically have to camp, was stuck there for days, trying to read up and watch walkthroughs, but at some point it got frustrating, so I .... cheated 😊

That final level though, that one I really liked! 😁

Another thing that was disappointing about Unreal II to me was it's lacking multiplayer. Unreal multiplayer (even against bots) was fantastic!
And either the walking/running speed seemed very slow or I never figured out how to toggle the 'run'-button properly 🤣

So imo if you find it for almost nothing, might as well give it a try. And iirc the game looked very good for the hardware I was running it on.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 305 of 532, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Usually I'll forget bad games, but one that I remember was some Doom-like clone-something called "Amsterdoom".
I still liked the fact it took place in Amsterdam and I suppose perhaps someone somewhere will enjoy it...sometime...but it just bored me to death.
Can't remember the rest of the details though, but I played it for a couple hours at the most then I gave up on it.

Another game which simply never appealed to me was one of the Ages of Empires games (one of the earlier ones).
I was disappointed by the ugly graphics and ...it was like playing Sim City. I know AoE has a lot of fans out there, but after a couple levels I simply stopped playing the rest of the campaign and never looked back.

One game that at first seemed like a disappointment was FEAR. I already had a friend who had started playing the campaign, but soon had quit as it didn't really appeal to him, but then I got the game for cheap and I wanted to give it a shot anyway. The first levels seemed rather boring-looking and "traditional" but when the hallucinations started the game grew on me and I finished the campaign and was enthusiastic, told this friend about it, he played past the first couple boring levels and turned into a fan also, buying all the expansions along with FEAR2 and FEAR3 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 306 of 532, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back when multiplayer started becoming big, I was disappointed in the lost art of the single-player story-driven game. Someone mentioned Quake 3 earlier. There seemed to be a whole generation of games that jumped on the multiplayer bandwagon, either replacing the story mode with "bots" or completely forsaking any form of single-player mode. Granted, I stopped keeping up with PC games by around 2005, so I don't know if it's gotten any better since then.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 307 of 532, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was a very short period though, with only Battlefield and Unreal Tournament bothering with consistency.

Nowadays it's really all what FOSS fps games are, no monsters, and/or story/narratives to be found!!* 🙁

*and i'm guilty for one of them!!!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 308 of 532, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Dead Space 3.

Seriously, what the hell happened to that series?
It started out awesome with the first game. The second game was also very good. But the third is a freaking Lost Planet knock off.
The horror is all gone. The only "scary" thing in Dead Space 3 is now jumpscares. And we all know how much that sucks.
Universal ammo for every weapon. Why the fuck would you do that?
Changing suits doesn't matter at all now, all suits (you can switch back and forth between them now) now shares the upgrades you did on, say the first ever suit you get. The EVA suit.
There are stuff EVERYWHERE, so you would never have to fear running out on either ammo, health packs or stasis packs because you can either craft them with all the crap you collect, or you can find them already built lying in every box and cabinet you could find.
The weapons are OP. Remember the first game? How there wasn't any weapon per se. Instead you used TOOLS to defeat your enemies. Because you are an engineer, not a freaking space marine. But in Dead Space 3 there are everything from semi-automatic pistols to full-automatic assault rifles with missile launchers, that could fire bullets or rockets coated in freaking acid that could burn the enemies overtime if they didn't already die from the big-ass explosion from the rocket.
At last but least, the freaking moon is your final boss. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask much?

Reply 309 of 532, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:
dr_st wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

Interesting, hell is where I am bored. I never understood why so many people completely write Doom 3 off, instead of accepting it is not a game for everyone. Perhaps many people who enjoyed old Dooms expected miraculously similar experience ten years later.

Too many monsters for a stealthy/scary game, not enough for an exciting action game. They tried to take the game both directions at the same time and it didn't work. It would have been better if there had been a tenth of the monsters but hitting ten times as hard.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 310 of 532, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been reminded of a disappointing game recently.
18 Wheels of Steel: Haulin' - but really, as far as I can tell all the 18WoS games are practically the same.
It's a relaxing game that I could really get in to, but there are some elements that ruin it. It's hard to think of another game where I've been so disappointed by it's flaws, thinking that if only a few things were fixed, I'd love it.

1) The fatigue mechanic. I can't believe they shipped it like this. You're enjoying the game for about 5-10 minutes (real time) and suddenly the screen just goes black. You get no warning other than watching the clock. In real life, you would feel yourself getting sleepy. This doesn't translate well to a video game.
As soon as your guy starts yawning, it's the same time that the screen starts randomly blacking out. Sometimes the blackout happens first. The random screen blanking is as fun as trying to play a game with a defective monitor. At least give some warning *before* the blackouts happen, and it shouldn't be a blackout, it should start as a subtle blur or slight dimming effect. It could get worse over time. You shouldn't black out until much later, and I mean if you've been up for days, not just a mere 10 in-game hours (which is enough time to navigate out of a city and get on the highway for about 5 minutes).

Often times it's a serious burden to try to find somewhere to sleep in this game - services are sparse. One would think that you could just park anywhere and sleep. Nope - I think that's possible if you upgrade your truck to one with a sleeper cabin, but otherwise, you can't sleep in the driver seat. So even though you're randomly blacking out, I'm supposed to believe that it's impossible to sleep intentionally without a cozy bed. You end up crawling along at a low speed for a very long time trying to find a place where you're allowed to sleep, the whole time your screen randomly blacking out.
The underlying concept of fatigue has validity, but the time threshold and the implementation are so clunky that it would be better off if the feature was left out of the game. Either do it right, or don't do it at all.
You can disable fatigue in a .cfg file, but there is no user friendly option for it in the GUI. It works for the vanilla game, but it hasn't worked when mods are installed. I don't know why. Given other problems I have with the vanilla map, that's a problem.
----
2) Law enforcement - this should be an important part of the game, but the implementation is again quite poor. The worst part of it is the red light offenses. If you ever creep slightly too close to the line at an intersection while the light is red, you instantly get a full crime bar and become America's Most Wanted. The next time you encounter a parked police car, you get pulled over and hit with a fine for thousands of dollars.
A less serious, but still "disappointing" piece of sloppiness is the headlights. You must have your lights on whenever it is dark or you will build up a crime bar. It doesn't even matter if you are in a parking lot with the engine off, your lights still have to be on.
The police don't need to see your infractions happen, they are omniscient and will cite you for them on the next encounter. Lame.
All the police are parked on the side of the road. Also lame. This stems from older games in the series, where police were invisible but existed at distinct locations on the road. In later editions of 18WoS they became visible as a parked car. I don't think they ever added moving police cars.
---
3) Road signs. This game was developed by a Czech company, so maybe they didn't understand the US interstate system. The game is filled with odd road signs like "I-80 South" and sometimes referencing a city that interstate doesn't even intersect. They reference cities they think you might want to reach, even though they would require exiting to another highway along the way. In proper signage, only the next major city located *on* that interstate would be mentioned.

The signs don't indicate direction properly. Even numbered interstates should always be referred to as east/west, and odd numbers are always north/south. For consistency, the designation always refers to the long-term direction of the road as a whole, not it's short term direction in the immediate vicinity. If I'm trying to get on I-80 East, but a goofy sign in-game says "I-80 South", I don't know which way to go.

Sometimes the signs even fail to reference the interstate you're already on. You'll be on I80, trying to stay on I80, and the signs only reference a different interstate that's crossing you. So where do you go to stay on I80? In real life, the path to stay on your own interstate and direction would always be indicated.

The signs in game are positioned too close to the forks/exits, so you have little time to react. Realistically, there would be signs further in advance to warn you what lane to be in.

Due to all the problems with the signs, you can't navigate without constantly opening the in-game map. I'd like to be able to just drive, but the broken signage makes this frustrating. If you try to follow those signs, you end up confused and going the wrong direction.
I was sufficiently annoyed by this that I started editing the signs in one city using the built-in editor. I didn't have the motivation to make a major project out of it though, and there are a lot of cities to fix.
---
4) Sparse services, especially fuel. There are way, way too few fuel stations in this game. There are entire cities that don't have a gas station. This was alleviated with a modded map that I installed, but not entirely fixed (road signs still have some problems also).

I like the concept of this game but when I play it, I'm disappointed by how sloppy and unfinished it seems. They made several releases in the series but they barely improved anything in any of them. Despite all that, SCS apparently built a lot of success with these very rough edged games. I realize the idea of a truck driving sim is a bit obscure, but I'm still kind of surprised SCS ended up having the idea to themselves. Surely somebody could have done it better, but I guess nobody else believed in the concept.

I've recently become aware of the modern games Euro Truck Simulator 2 and upcoming American Truck Simulator from the same company. I'm interested, but their system requirements are so high my ability to run them is questionable. I don't need the fancy graphics, I just wish the 18WoS games had been implemented better.

Reply 311 of 532, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, this was one of the most well-written in-depth analyses of faults I've ever seen. Good job. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 312 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the new doom looks trash, the gore is what instantly turned me off. When they did those cheesy ass takedowns and then later in the demo reel where they were sawing guys in half... that shit is disgusting and I would never touch this game with a fifty foot pole.

Plus the action is slow, jumping like parkour sections and the weapons all look very sci-fi shooter generic. All together it really isn't Doom at all. It's like ROTT 2013 in that it really misses the feeling of the original totally and instead falls into all the modern cliches.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 313 of 532, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking of recent games, I watched some videos of witcher 3 and the unreleased latest tom clancy shooter, the take away for me was the crap gameplay, both of them when it came to fighting, witcher 3 fighting was like asian movies where they wait their turn to attack, doing so one by one, both games the enemies would just stand there waiting to be killed. go out into the open, lots of shooting with no ill effects then stand around waiting to be finished off. Seems so dumbed down. Old arcade fighting games are beyond better than this.

Reply 316 of 532, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Watching videos of the Witcher 3 might disappoint, but actually playing it doesn't.

So the argument is the game got stage fright from recording it and playing it will change the game play? I don't see how giving the input will change the game vs having watched someone else do it. It's looks like a game where everyone gets a gold star for participation and a winner.

Reply 317 of 532, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

So the argument is the game got stage fright from recording it and playing it will change the game play? I don't see how giving the input will change the game vs having watched someone else do it. It's looks like a game where everyone gets a gold star for participation and a winner.

It's an RPG homeboy, not Mortal Kombat. A 5 min youtube clip of the combat can't accurately describe the experience. That's my argument.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 319 of 532, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yeah the new doom looks trash

Words of wisdom.

King_Corduroy wrote:

the gore is what instantly turned me off. When they did those cheesy ass takedowns and then later in the demo reel where they were sawing guys in half... that shit is disgusting and I would never touch this game with a fifty foot pole.

I'm not grossed out by gore, but I don't see the point in going that far with it either. I think they did the same (magnify gore to the exclusion of everything else) for what they ended up calling "Soldier of Fortune 3" a few years ago, and while I have not played it myself, I remember everybody saying it was garbage and not SOF at all.

I wonder, though, what your view is on Shadow Warrior (1997), the original mutant slicer; not being realistic, does it still disturb you?

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9