VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by iGREKKESS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

I'm desperatly trying to find a solution to make Destruction Derby 2 network edition work on WinNT, since it's still a great arcade game to play on LAN/Internet.

Maybe you're not aware about it : there is an official patch (at beta state) adding network functionality to the Win32 version of the game.

If DXGL is a big help to make the game work properly on Win7 32/64-bit (even for dd2h.exe), trying to make the net game work is a huge frustration since it will never launch the race after entering the lobby... 😢
In fact, everything is working fine until entering the lobby (I tried with TCP/IP protocol and IPX, thanks to IPXWrapper), connection is okay, chat is working, but it is impossible to start the race. The F1 key needs to be pressed to launch the race on the server, but it has no effect.

fw2o.png

jwar.png

I tried many things, SHIFT+F1, ALT+F1, CTRL+F1, all other keys, kill all other softs, bind F1 to a paddle button, or association of keys on the keyboard with several apps, nothing. It seems F1 keystroke is detected, since it has an effect on the main menu, but game does not "jump" to the begining of the race from the lobby.
I'm running the game with the original CD on two PCs, one running WinXP, the other running Win7 64-bit : same problem on both.

I've tested under Win98, using a virtual PC (the race can be launched even with only 1 player in multplayer) : it works perfectly 😵

Any idea ?
Thx in advance.

Last edited by iGREKKESS on 2024-02-15, 21:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by iGREKKESS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys !

Back, after almost 10 years, with still the same problem, under Windows 10 today.
I tried to make a recent no-cd integration of DD2, since I've no more optical drive in my actual PC. Using wrappers such as _inmm.dll, dgvoodoo2 or ipxwrapper, make the game works really fine with Win10. Except the network part... Hosting a session, joining, sending message between 2 machines are working, but the "F1"key still desperatly not works, and prevent the game from strating the session 😒

Didn't find anything, since my first request in 2016, about this issue, on Vogons, or PCGamingWiki, my two best sources for that kind of problem :
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Destruction_Derby_2

Among the several ideas to try, swapping the key-to-press into the binary with a hex editor was one of them, but I'm a total n00b at hex editing. Just succeded to change the displayed text "Press F1 to play", nothing else.
Would there be any good soul, with the required skill at hex editing, who could take a look, as it might be very easy to do, in order to rehabilitate the Network Game on DD2, in 2024 ? 😀

Nota :
F1 and F12 keys seem to be managed the same way. Pressing them give no answer, where other Fuction Keys display letters, when they are pressed, in Multilayer Lobby.