VOGONS

First post, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've noticed 2 problems with speedset.

1. Speedset 1.0.1is uneffective on AnotherWorld. 1.0 worked well though, so it would be nice to provide both versions to download...

2. If the value isn't accurate, the games crash. The problem is annoying because it is almost impossible for the basic and kinda stupid end user (aka 'me') to guess the exact value. What I find even stranger is that without speedset, the games are stable, even if the timer is not accurate... Is there any way accessible to me to find out the timer value (and to calculate the right number to enter in speedset after that)? Even better, couldn't SpeedSet (next version) detect the value that a game wants?

Reply 1 of 4, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speedset 1.0.1 worked fine with Another World except for the fact that I can't get it to detect the Disney SoundSource anylonger (detection in Another World is really sensitive about the speed). The mechanism between 1.0.1 and the previous version is the same, it's just the DOS loader which is smaller and much of the mathematics was moved away from the DOS loader into the Windows executavle. A value of -60 in the old should correspond to a value of 6 in the new one. Some games (including Another World... or was it Star Control II?) randomly crashed during the intro with the old SPEEDSET as well as with the new if the speed was too high.

The value you gove to SPEEDSET 1.0.1 is the number of "extra" interrupts per millisecond. SPEEDSET then spreads them out, computing the "ideal" interrupt rate, rounding it down to the closes millisecond period (closest kHz value). So every period the DOS stub will generate a number of INT8 (timer IRQs), which will vary up and down (+/- 1) as to achieve an accurate overall "interrupts per millisecond" value.

You are right, however, that for a completely $%&@ed up reason, SPEEDSET doesn't seem "as efficient" as it was on my system before I released it, and I wonder why... It still speeds up, but it stops at a certain point. Crap!

V.

Reply 2 of 4, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, Zorbid, I have just found a bug in the SPEEDSET.EXE code, I'll upload an update in a few minutes. 😀 I tested the fix and it works (again).

Thanks!

Updated: see showthread.php?s=&postid=4739

Cheers,
V.

Reply 4 of 4, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

v1.0.2 was released: showthread.php?s=&postid=4739

Usage:

SPEEDSET 5

Another World may still need some tuning until it manages to detect the sound emulation. I'll probably have to just update the SB code so that we don't have to go through this EmuPPDAC thing anylonger...

V.