VOGONS

My SiS 730S Duron system!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep it the way it is if you have no plans to overclock it. Don't think reversing the PSU fans is such a good idea as it's located in the upper part of the case. Maybe you should try to reverse the front fan of the case?

How much space is there between the CPU fan and the PSU?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 31, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it is around a centimeter.

The PSU currently in does not have a second exhausting from the case, so that doesn't worry me as much, but it is a cheap gutless wonder with a bulging cap that I have to replace ASAP. This Enermax is filled with PCE-TUR/TUL caps that aren't great, but they look fine (but will recap somewhat soon), and is NOT a gutless wonder.

Reply 22 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexanrs wrote:
Well, since the topic resurfaced anyway, I might as well ask it here (as it is about the same system). I have a new PSU with two […]
Show full quote

Well, since the topic resurfaced anyway, I might as well ask it here (as it is about the same system). I have a new PSU with two fans - one on the back and one on the bottom. If I installed it in this case the bottom PSU fan and the CPU fan would compete for air and neither would do their job well... I had two ideas:

1. Reverse the PSU fans, making it blow air into the computer
  2. Reverse the CPU fan, making it exhaust hot air from the heatsink

Which one of these is the better route?

I'd personally go for option #3: Put the socketed system in another case that has the PSU mounted at the top and use the current case for a Slot 1 build, since that's kinda the only way you'll get kinda optimal airflow that way.

I suspect these cases were specifically made for slotted systems as that way air doesn't need to compete and there's a good reason why these cases didn't last very long after ATX had started taking off and why ATX cases with top-mounted PSUs lasted so long.

Just my €0.02 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 31, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I'd personally go for option #3: Put the socketed system in another case that has the PSU mounted at the top and use the current case for a Slot 1 build, since that's kinda the only way you'll get kinda optimal airflow that way.

I would if I had a good (and beige) spare miniATX case - that would've been perfect! Unfortunately I don't... I might buy one in the future but for now this will do.
Anyway after doing some research apparently exhausting air from a CPU heatsink isn't that good, so I reversed the PSU fans and gave it a go. I then ran 3DMark 2000 and, after it closed, the temperatures were between 40 and 42°C, which is better than some temps I got before I replaced the PSU. I'll call this good enough for now.

Reply 24 of 31, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

Your recordings of GM music actually sounds quite good. I have one Trident 4DWave-NX (the 7018 is based on 4DWave) card and the GM support is horrible, wrong instruments and hanging and dropping notes.

I also, like lagonauta, have a SiS 630 based motherboard and it also refuses to use GM. Must be the DOS driver that's programmed that way because it loads the sample bank anyway (I guess it's used for the OPL3 emulation). Somone here who have the skill to modify the driver?

Modified SNDINIT.EXE myself and GM is now working 😁 It searches for PCI ID 1039:0630, I changed it to 1039:0631.
Now I have to find out how to load large sample banks.

Attachments

• Filename
    SNDINIT.7z
    File size
    85.29 KiB
    Downloads
    251 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 31, by lagonauta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

Your recordings of GM music actually sounds quite good. I have one Trident 4DWave-NX (the 7018 is based on 4DWave) card and the GM support is horrible, wrong instruments and hanging and dropping notes.

I also, like lagonauta, have a SiS 630 based motherboard and it also refuses to use GM. Must be the DOS driver that's programmed that way because it loads the sample bank anyway (I guess it's used for the OPL3 emulation). Somone here who have the skill to modify the driver?

Modified SNDINIT.EXE myself and GM is now working 😁 It searches for PCI ID 1039:0630, I changed it to 1039:0631.

Wow, nice! I will test this as soon as I can 😀
Thanks!

Reply 26 of 31, by lagonauta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the double post, but just today I was able to test the file edited by Kamerat. It is working perfectly! 😁
Thanks Kamerat 😀
Now I just need to discover how to use the gameport on DOS as I couldn't find a cheap PS/2 keyboard and mouse and it lags with USB 😜

Reply 27 of 31, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2016-05-27, 05:40:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm confused. I don't see a 0631 device ID listed in http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1039 (although I suppose that doesn't guarantee it doesn't exist!) so was this change made so that it doesn't match the 0630?

Reply 28 of 31, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doshea wrote on 2022-01-18, 08:09:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm confused. I don't see a 0631 device ID listed in http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1039 (although I suppose that doesn't guarantee it doesn't exist!) so was this change made so that it doesn't match the 0630?

Exactly.

YouTube channel

Reply 29 of 31, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2016-05-27, 05:40:

Just resurrecting this thread as I've been tinkering with an IBM NetVista X40 all in one that has the SiS 630 chipset. (No opportunity to fit any different sound card in this system!)

I've used this modified Sbinit file and added the sample file name to the .ini file, and General MIDI seems to work in some games, but not others.

Doom works fine, and General MIDI sounds great!

But SimCity detects General MIDI ok in the install utility, but then locks up the system totally when starting the game.

Games with the SetSound utility, like Caesar2, seem to totally lock up the system when trying to detect or verify General MIDI within SetSound.

Anyone have any ideas on that? I wondered if it was significant that problem games with General MIDI seem to use Dos4GW. Perhaps a memory management issue?

Reply 30 of 31, by SWZSSR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Beautiful Build, Nice & Clean. I love building replicas of childhood machines I once had.. have around 9 of them including ones I've used at school\friends machines etc.

5TH / Dual 233MMX / Kyro-1-PCI / Maxi-Studio ISIS
EP-MVP3G5 / K6-3+@600 / Geforce3-Ti500 / EWS64XL
Thunder 2500 / Dual P3-S 1.4 / HD3850AGP / Audigy
M919-3.4bf / 5x86@180 / Banshee-PCI / Soundscape Elite
AX4GE-Tube / 3.2EE / FX5950Ultra / Tube Audio

Reply 31 of 31, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
justin1985 wrote on 2023-11-27, 18:46:
Just resurrecting this thread as I've been tinkering with an IBM NetVista X40 all in one that has the SiS 630 chipset. (No oppor […]
Show full quote

Just resurrecting this thread as I've been tinkering with an IBM NetVista X40 all in one that has the SiS 630 chipset. (No opportunity to fit any different sound card in this system!)

I've used this modified Sbinit file and added the sample file name to the .ini file, and General MIDI seems to work in some games, but not others.

Doom works fine, and General MIDI sounds great!

But SimCity detects General MIDI ok in the install utility, but then locks up the system totally when starting the game.

Games with the SetSound utility, like Caesar2, seem to totally lock up the system when trying to detect or verify General MIDI within SetSound.

Anyone have any ideas on that? I wondered if it was significant that problem games with General MIDI seem to use Dos4GW. Perhaps a memory management issue?

Perhaps you could try DOS32AWE or DOS/32A as a replacement for DOS/4GW.

YouTube channel