VOGONS

Common searches

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Daum's dead, and buggy, and DOSbox should never be considered for Windows 9x software/games anyway.

Well dosbox itself seems pretty dead too, unless i'm just being ignorant.
Daum seems a lot faster, but then you try and run Ultima Underworld and realise it's rather broken for certain games.

What would you suggest instead? I've not tried PCEm and i doubt my crappy pc would be fast enough anyway considering i'm still on an AMD 3200+ haha

Reply 21 of 24, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doesn't RetroArch cause massive input lag though? At least, i remember it being way inferior than just running Nestopia or other emulators stand alone.

Uh, no. While there are some minor differences in input latency between emulators, RetroArch isn't drastically worse than any of them. Maybe a frame more of lag at most.

I wish there was a good way you could apply display filters to everything though. I mean, there is no emulator that provides goo […]
Show full quote

I wish there was a good way you could apply display filters to everything though.
I mean, there is no emulator that provides good ways to do integer scaling, configurable amounts of horizontal blurring (for dither effects) and custom user definable pixel aspect ratios (for each game).

The custom pixel aspect ratios and integer scaling is the crappest problem. I just want to be able to pixel double/triple to the nearest integer, then add an appropriate amount of scan lines (1/3 to 1/2 of the integer scale - whichever fits x % == 0;) and then aspect ratio correct the result using linear filtering. This would usually be done on the horizontal plane but should be configurable as dos games would be better stretched vertically for example (in fact they were).

The reason the pixel aspect needs to be configurable is that games rarely agree on what it should be. A lot use 1:1 which is good even if they would look wrong back in the day because of it. Others are way debatable. You have to look at the graphics to really guess. The best way is to try and find something very large you know is meant to be circular and count the pixels.

Also, when games are ported from platforms that tends to mess up the par on the target platform, so if a console game was ported to pc, you wouldn't really want a par of 1:1.2 which would but the usual artist target for 320*200, as console games for tvs had different par targets generally and due to tvs, the target was a lot more variable.

RetroArch is the most flexible emulator for this.

Daum's dead, and buggy, and DOSbox should never be considered for Windows 9x software/games anyway.

Disagree. If the game runs well under it, DOSBox gives you way better scaling options than running it under a VM or in other emulators. Especially if it's a RetroArch core.

Getting it running natively would be preferable to all those solutions of course, but even then I wouldn't blame someone for preferring DOSBox to get better scaling.