VOGONS

3DFX/Glide Exclusive Windows Games?

Topic actions

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the Marvin or Windows thread, but I felt Marvin was more appropriate since this relates more to 3DFX hardware and not to any particular game.

I'm curious to know how many Windows games were released that were 3DFX exclusive. In particular, games that were either 3DFX accelerated or had to run in a 2D mode such as DirectDraw. A good example of this was Need for Speed 2 which only supported 3DFX acceleration.

Games such as Croc, Need for Speed 3, Motorhead, and MDK had both 3DFX support and Direct3D/OpenGL in their lifetime. In fact most Windows games I've come across had support for both D3D/OpenGL and Glide.

So, I'm curious to know how many Windows games exist that were 3DFX exclusive when it came to 3D hardware acceleration.

I know there were plenty of Glide DOS games, but I haven't found many Windows game with fit that description.

I would appreciate any input in this regard.

Thanks in advance. 😀

Last edited by Totempole on 2016-02-21, 14:33. Edited 1 time in total.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 2 of 24, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

Ignition is one

Highly underrated game

Thanks, I actually have it. Also enjoyed it a lot back in the day. I probably played in in DirectDraw mode then, since I didn't own a 3DFX card.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 4 of 24, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Pandemonium is also one.

Thanks, don't know that one, but looks interesting.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 5 of 24, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jane's F-15 and Jane's Longbow FX (Jane's Longbow 1 with 3dfx patch) come to mind. Novalogic F-16 Multirole Fighter and Novalogic MiG 29 Fulcrum are also Windows-based games that only support GLide. Also, Hyperblade, when unpatched, only supports 3dfx.

Jane's Longbow 2 doesn't count because it also supports Direct3D.

EF2000 V2.0 is a DOS game, and so is Jetfighter III and Jetfighter Full Burn

Well I guess there are not many Windows-based Glide-only games. Total Air War, Jane's World War II Fighters, and European Air War support both GLide and Direct3D --they just look better with GLide to my eyes.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quite a few actually, here's some that I remember off the top of my head:

Gex 2 : Enter The Gecko (this is a really strange one, as it doesn't support anything else, no software mode either!)
Asghan
Elder Scrolls Adventures : Redguard
Montezuma's Return (this may have got a D3D patch at some point?)

Basically you should look into titles that came out in 1996-1997. D3D was still far behind with D3D 3 and D3D 5, so, many developers ended making their games fully software driven and sometimes included Glide since it was the go-to API for those 2-3 years.
By 1998 the landscape was starting to get clearer, so it'll prove harder to find Glide exclusive titles. There's also Pyl, but that one's DOS (very late 1998 release).

Reply 7 of 24, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Quite a few actually,

Indeed. DOS GLide games are more common than GLide-only Windows games.

F2bnp wrote:

Elder Scrolls Adventures : Redguard

Ah, I almost forget Redguard is a Windows game.

F2bnp wrote:

Basically you should look into titles that came out in 1996-1997. D3D was still far behind with D3D 3 and D3D 5, so, many developers ended making their games fully software driven and sometimes included Glide since it was the go-to API for those 2-3 years.
By 1998 the landscape was starting to get clearer, so it'll prove harder to find Glide exclusive titles. There's also Pyl, but that one's DOS (very late 1998 release).

But even in those early years (1996-1997), popular titles like MechWarrior 2, Monster Truck Madness, and Hellbender already support either Direct3D or multiple 3D vendors.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 8 of 24, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all of the useful info everyone. Please keep it coming. 😀

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 9 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

But even in those early years (1996-1997), popular titles like MechWarrior 2, Monster Truck Madness, and Hellbender already support either Direct3D or multiple 3D vendors.

Agreed! Especially with Direct3D 5 and onwards, we saw some really great games take advantage of it. What I meant to say is that because Glide was faster/better, many developers didn't bother with anything else. Many D3D patches and such were pretty shoddy as well. Just look at Unreal or the earlier example of POD to see how bad early D3D implementation can be 🤣 .

I don't want to start a discussion on whether or not Glide was better, I'm sure we both understand each other on the subject. I agree with your point. 😀

Reply 12 of 24, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Agreed! Especially with Direct3D 5 and onwards, we saw some really great games take advantage of it. What I meant to say is that because Glide was faster/better, many developers didn't bother with anything else. Many D3D patches and such were pretty shoddy as well. Just look at Unreal or the earlier example of POD to see how bad early D3D implementation can be 🤣 .

I don't want to start a discussion on whether or not Glide was better, I'm sure we both understand each other on the subject. I agree with your point. 😀

But indeed we are on agreement. What I'm saying is that it seems to me that game developers tried multi-vendors or Direct3D first before turning to GLide. I mean, Jane's F-15 (GLide-only) came later after Hellbender (Direct 3D) and Mechwarrior 2 (multivendor). However, the majority of games that came after such early years supported both GLide and Direct 3D.

Now, I think Joint Strike Fighter only supports 3dfx, and it's a Windows game, no? Also, Digital Integration's Front Line Fighters, which consists of Apache Longbow, F-16 Fighting Falcon, and Hind, are Windows games that support 3dfx. Sure, Apache Longbow and Hind also run on DOS, but 3dfx patches for those games are for Windows 95 version.

I remember Flying Corps Gold only supports 3dfx, but again, it's a DOS game. How about F/A-18 Korea? I remember it supports GLide, but does it also support Direct3D and OpenGL?

Reply 13 of 24, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jane's F-15 got direct3d support by a patch. Just tested a couple days ago.
See here ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/janes/patches/f15/

But I think we should also mention games that were 3dfx only but got a d3d patch later.
Outlaws by LucasArts released in 1997 was 3dfx only. Direct3d patch came in 2001 AFAIK.

Reply 14 of 24, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not to ruin the fun, but Zeus and Gamecollector over at http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 should be able to answer this conclusively with their compatibility lists.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 24, by x86++

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a list of many 3dfx/glide exclusive games which can be verified for Windows compatibility at http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility or mobygames:
Glide-only Games

However, some in that list (and others that may not occur in that list but should be at the nglide site) will overlap with the 3d-non-3dfx API list here:
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

This thread seems like the first attempt to verify a list of 3dfx/glide-only 3d accelerated games.

Reply 16 of 24, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
x86++ wrote:
Here is a list of many 3dfx/glide exclusive games which can be verified for Windows compatibility at http://www.zeus-software.co […]
Show full quote

Here is a list of many 3dfx/glide exclusive games which can be verified for Windows compatibility at http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility or mobygames:
Glide-only Games

However, some in that list (and others that may not occur in that list but should be at the nglide site) will overlap with the 3d-non-3dfx API list here:
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

This thread seems like the first attempt to verify a list of 3dfx/glide-only 3d accelerated games.

Duh, there's a half-dozen Glide game lists on VOGONS already, hell I have two of my own. Very few are Glide-only as the OP wants. I do understand the topic very well.

All the OP needs to do:
1. Get the complete list from Zeus and Gamecollector (the Mobygames lists are known to be highly inaccurate but they keep refusing changes)
2. Ask Zeus/Gamecollector to filter out the games they know to be OpenGL/D3D

You'd already be halfway there. Just sad I don't have the time to help on this right now.

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 24, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
x86++ wrote:

That method would include 3d-non-3dfx API games.

Stiletto wrote:

You'd already be halfway there.

What, should I spell everything out? "You'd already be halfway there" means that you'd still need to filter out the "3d-non-3dfx" games from vetz's famous list. I mean, that's brain-dead obvious.

I stand by my accusations against Mobygames though, VOGONS members have generated far more accurate lists in the past than Mobygames, and yet they refuse to accept them.

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 24, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm too lazy for this (add supported APIs to my list) task. Maybe later. Much later.
By the way - why someone need this "3dfx exclusive" list? What about "our new videocards not supports DX5/6/7/8 very well" problem? To be more precise "not support at all". Arabian Nights and CART Precision Racing as examples.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).