VOGONS

First post, by uniracers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to use a flightstick in DOS connected to the gameport input on my Compaq Presario. It is not responding correctly. For example, in Wolfenstein 3D, it continuously acts like the escape key is being pressed (not that I am trying to play Wolf 3D with a flightstick). In other games where you calibrate the joystick, it quickly goes past the "center the joystick and press a button" and goes straight to "move the joystick to the upper left", but it doesn't respond to any button presses. I have connected the joystick with a gameport to USB adapter and it seems work fine this way in Windows 98.

Any suggestions on what to look for? I guess I could always get an expansion card with a gameport input on it, but I'm not sure how that would work with the built-in gameport.

Reply 1 of 4, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the calibration behave differently with the joystick unplugged? If it behaves the same, it could be because the joystick port isn't enabled. Maybe you can find a test/debug program that can show you exactly what inputs are coming in from the port, so you can see if the values change as you move the stick. That would at least let you confirm the hardware is all configured correctly.

Reply 2 of 4, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had similar problems with a number of DOS games when using the gameport from a SoundBlaster Pro. I actually had to install a separate ISA-gameport just to get the flightstick to work. I never figured out why it wouldn't work as my SB+MIDI were the only expansion cards installed and I checked the jumpers many times. I knew for a fact that the gameport worked previously, so it had to be some unknown conflict with SB and the mainboard.

Reply 3 of 4, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like a speed issue. Your bog standard gameport interface, like those found on the Sound Blaster Pro and earlier cards, do not have any ability to adjust for fast processors. Essentially the CPU reads the joystick adapter faster than the game intended and the adapter cannot keep up. You can use a later sound card, which typically has some speed compensation ability, a game card with a speed adjust knob or find a way to slow down your system.

There is a way to read the joystick interface that is not CPU speed dependent but this will not give quite as smooth a reading from the analog sticks.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 4, by uniracers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think that I have used this joystick in this PC in the past to play X-WIng, but I could be wrong. If I try to test the joystick plugged into the gameport in Windows 98 in the game controllers Control Panel, none of the buttons even respond. If it was a speed issue, I'm not sure if that would affect Windows.