VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone know of good wrapper for this? Specifically for DirectX versions prior to DX8.

I would like to use my xbox one controller (it emulates xbox360) with some of my older windows games like Need for Speed II SE in analog mode. So far I've tried XInputPlus 4.14.2 and didn't have any luck with it. x360ce doesn't do backwards translation like this so please don't suggest it unless you can tell me some way to make it actually work. Also if you know how to make XInputPlus do this I would love to know, or if someone could make some kind of guide.

If no one has made such a thing, might I suggest that someone make such a thing that can emulate old sidewinder sticks, pads and steering wheels.

I saw Kris Asick (pixelships) made something called GDInput which seemed to do just that, but I could never find a binary for it.

Reply 2 of 16, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's kind of sad how Microsoft has convinced even indie developers to only implement XInput in most games, rather than Directinput. It is inferior in every single way.

In terms of wrappers, sorry i don't know - you say to not suggest unless i have experience, so i cannot.

I have heard that using such wrappers from direct input to xinput or vice versa causes input lag though. I wish people still supported direct input though. Well they do for simulation games as those aren't possible with stupid xinput.

I found a tester for GDInput, i don't know if it's actually a converter, i don't have a wired xinput controller to try.
http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/430-gdinput/

Are you sure it's even an xinput to direct input wrapper though? From a (very quick) skim read, it doesn't explicitly mention it - although if it isn't then i wonder what it is wrapping exactly.
https://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Gemin … ctInput_Wrapper

Reply 3 of 16, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem I'm having with XInput is getting the analog sticks, or even the controller to work at all when playing. It seems to work in the menu to setup stuff but when I start a race nothing works.

I'm using nglide to play in glide mode... I wonder if that's the issue.

Reply 4 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ok, observations:

1: controls work out of the box on my 360 controller. Only reason to use XInputPlus would be to emulate force feedback.

2: Mapping controls don't work with XInputPlus. Map all controls before installing XInputPlus. It's a bit annoying mapping the axis properly since the default XInputPlus config doesn't perfectly match a 360 controller.

3: Need for Speed II SE Glide + XInput Plus works perfectly.

Reply 6 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the problem with an xbox controller in games expecting a direct input controller is
he left and right triggers will act as a single axis representing the signed difference between the triggers, not as 2 independent analog axes as direct input controllers have

this may help
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbcd/

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 7 of 16, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think that supports xbone controllers, only xbox and xbox 360 ones. I'm going to try and get it working again with Xinputplus.

:EDIT:

Well that was weird, before it refused to work at all and now it's working fine. I guess the reboot I did fixed something... so I can starting working on my new guide for it. 😀

Reply 8 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

the problem with an xbox controller in games expecting a direct input controller is
he left and right triggers will act as a single axis representing the signed difference between the triggers, not as 2 independent analog axes as direct input controllers have

Need for Speed II SE actually supports this just fine. You can use the triggers for analog acceleration.

Reply 9 of 16, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can switch the Xbox One controller back to single axis for analogue triggers just by switching to some older drivers - http://www.videogameperfection.com/2016/02/24 … native-drivers/

The problem on the Xbox One controller with the latest drivers isn't that the left and right triggers will act as a single axis, because they are now separate, it's that the triggers are set at 0 rather than in the middle of the axis. Lots of games expect the axis to be in the middle rather than 0 so they think you're actually pressing/moving the controller when you're not.

Need for Speed II SE actually supports this just fine. You can use the triggers for analog acceleration.

What if you want to drift though? There's simply no way to press the throttle and brake at the same time with that setup.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 11 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BuckoA51 wrote:

What if you want to drift though? There's simply no way to press the throttle and brake at the same time with that setup.

Good point (maybe, I don't recall NFS2 SE ever being difficult enough to need that high level of control).

Good thing we have XInputPlus which allows us to remap 360/XB1 controllers however we want.

Reply 12 of 16, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good thing we have XInputPlus which allows us to remap 360/XB1 controllers however we want.

I'm interested in trying that, since the site is in Japanese can you clarify, does it create any other problems/side effects? Does it require you to test sign the driver or anything like that?

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 13 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BuckoA51 wrote:

I'm interested in trying that, since the site is in Japanese can you clarify, does it create any other problems/side effects? Does it require you to test sign the driver or anything like that?

Well it might not work with everything.

And no, it's not a driver. It's just a API wrapper, it doesn't require signing anything.

Reply 16 of 16, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed, tried it with one game and after a bit of faffing in the config file it's working great. Xbox one controller (wired), Driver version 6.2.11059.0 [26/05/2014].

I definitely need to write up some tutorials for this.

play-old-pc-games.com