VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I prefer to, if possible. I have a KeyTronic Lifetime Series (this one) that I use on my main DOS machine. I have the Packard Bell keyboard that came with my Multimedia C110, but it's so mushy that I can't use it, no matter how much I'd like to. Unfortunately, I don't have many period correct beige PS/2 mice, so I use a Logitech M-SBF96 (this one) on whatever machine I'm on the most. My Dell Dimension 4100 came with an amazing Dell QuietKey keyboard that I prefer slightly to the KeyTronic (the placement of the '\' is easier to use when typing DOS paths), but I reserve it for use only with the Dimension, for consistency. 😀

What about you?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 21, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only if nostalgia much 🤣
Probably coz of small space but i prefer KVM but also have few retro keyboardz and mices laying around(sad i can't carry some crt's...)

Edit:

I almost forgot about keyboards i use every day HP KU-316 and KB-316 not sure if they retro much or how long they were used b4(usb version i got non-used) but i think 4th year i use em.

Last edited by rein_ein on 2016-02-28, 19:42. Edited 1 time in total.

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 2 of 21, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sort of? When I was setting up my Celeron machine, I didn't have a PS/2 keyboard, so I found fairly standard, but retro, Compaq one at a Thrift store.

For the mouse, I have a whole pile of Logitech Marble Mice that I use on everything. I love that trackball. It also has PS/2 support, so it also gets used on the retro machine. Logitech has been making these things for YEARS, so I'm actually having a hard time finding the original release date. It's at least as old as 2002, which is fairly close to the age of my machine 😀. I found listings for an even older white variant from at least as far back as 1999, which would be kinda cool to have.

Both items pictured:
hUPxmpp4VyM_MmEG2XPz4kpQrvlWMbEnzK6Bbkuls1pZtCxj_7EnVqT1Mz4yMMrxcHW1P1enAQ1EZaIRE-auzd5zoKokxBjBvRobcWWxna_egTuE9huvs2e0Wlsvuqckvg8-kP-50O4ekMNa2ko-QUaMuDQ3ct5XBDok66c8SRQRBFLLQKLDDprPbC29RXx7F8UG6Lo1Mt88PIO4cnpvWlAEFs4lkfmA_48l_hVldjnRcQHFOwbE8tijvneXccK4phaSeyySfKLEQ4MeWlFu3reLymGRVbTvBTpQKvX7je1TNTLJpkeusNThYTVhR_FEiTT8dflPj82OUHDS8zDogYCTmVHKj-m1jtPx8BO6N3yoRLME95srd85ptJaBn4tcmjZdIm9x6TbzBmACcvj58Tr9msiJWwEdozwyJx1kdOEcGCW0SwK6FkFy23YcAWQoRSpY_uFQz5kKOR0HEwVLUTzkdR9Spd6gaE_lrWyoCz5Ta7EBRC_LJd3OzrNMwF2U2xQ0IWKt3zwI_5w22JsxLh1LbrYf4_HQDEtNr0HJhO8D8eS8yaqn-zvPJo3dtaruWCHc=w986-h472-no

Reply 3 of 21, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, I don't. I use my retro machine connected to my tv and, as long as it has support for usb devices, it's preferable to me to use a wireless kit (both mouse + keyboard) that can be stored easily.

Otherwise, I recently found my venerable Microsoft Wheel Mouse that I bought in 2000/2001 and used for years with no problem at all. It was a great moment for memories (still works ok), but I found impossible to get used to those ball mices again... give me an optical one please 🤣 🤣

Reply 4 of 21, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use exclusively a Keyboard from a Compaq Deskpro EN.

Compaq_Deskpro_EN_1Ghz_256Mb.jpg

It is heavy, nice and easy to type on. It feels like an mechanical keyboard, just a bit softer and no click's.
(I hate click sounds from keyboards, love the mechanical feel they have)
It is DIN (AT) compatible with a standard converter. Really good keyboard.

For a mouse, I am just using whatever optical Ps/2 mouse that I can get my hands on.
When using serial port's, I have a white Microsoft serial mouse. Wich I find is the absolutely best of all serial.

51Q4F0xaVjL._SX425_.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 21, by SuperHanSolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use the Microsoft intellimouse PS/2 intellimouse.jpg

I also have a Chicony keyboard with the big PS/2 port but the ESC ket stopped working (seems to be a common issue with them)

Win 98 Retro PC: AMD K6-2+ @ 550mhz, Mitac 5114VU motherboard, 256MB RAM, Radeon 7000 PCI 64MB DDR
Win 95 Retro PC: Intel Pentium 233mmx, Elpina M571 motherboard, 32MB EDO RAM, Voodoo 3 2000 16MB PCI
Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7700x, 32GB DDR5-6000, Geforce 3080

Reply 6 of 21, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a retro keyboard and mouse for all my retro systems , from the P166 to the Core2Duo , which I control with a KVM switch.

the keyboard is a Dell AT102W mechanical keyboard (https://deskthority.net/w/images/e/ec/Dell_AT102W_beige.jpg) , works quite well .

For the mouse I use a Microsoft Intellimouse as shown above, I do also have the laser version of the Intellimouse, but it needs an adapter to use with the PS/2 switch , and the adapter seems to work when it wants to.

Reply 7 of 21, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sort of. My retro retro machine has an IBM KB-8923 and a Genius optical mouse, both PS/2.

Last edited by dr_st on 2017-04-30, 11:29. Edited 1 time in total.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 21, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Absolutely. I think the peripheral gear is a fairly integral part of the experience and I have a couple nice items to use. I switch between a mechanical IBM Model M and a foam-and-foil capacitive Keytronic, two quite distinctive key feels from any current stuff. The Microsoft Mouse 2.0 pioneered mouse ergonomics and despite its simplicity still feels pretty good while remaining authentically old school - the original retail version does, anyway, being made with higher quality materials and construction than late OEM revisions.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 9 of 21, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zerker wrote:
Sort of? When I was setting up my Celeron machine, I didn't have a PS/2 keyboard, so I found fairly standard, but retro, Compaq […]
Show full quote

Sort of? When I was setting up my Celeron machine, I didn't have a PS/2 keyboard, so I found fairly standard, but retro, Compaq one at a Thrift store.

For the mouse, I have a whole pile of Logitech Marble Mice that I use on everything. I love that trackball. It also has PS/2 support, so it also gets used on the retro machine. Logitech has been making these things for YEARS, so I'm actually having a hard time finding the original release date. It's at least as old as 2002, which is fairly close to the age of my machine 😀. I found listings for an even older white variant from at least as far back as 1999, which would be kinda cool to have.

Both items pictured:
hUPxmpp4VyM_MmEG2XPz4kpQrvlWMbEnzK6Bbkuls1pZtCxj_7EnVqT1Mz4yMMrxcHW1P1enAQ1EZaIRE-auzd5zoKokxBjBvRobcWWxna_egTuE9huvs2e0Wlsvuqckvg8-kP-50O4ekMNa2ko-QUaMuDQ3ct5XBDok66c8SRQRBFLLQKLDDprPbC29RXx7F8UG6Lo1Mt88PIO4cnpvWlAEFs4lkfmA_48l_hVldjnRcQHFOwbE8tijvneXccK4phaSeyySfKLEQ4MeWlFu3reLymGRVbTvBTpQKvX7je1TNTLJpkeusNThYTVhR_FEiTT8dflPj82OUHDS8zDogYCTmVHKj-m1jtPx8BO6N3yoRLME95srd85ptJaBn4tcmjZdIm9x6TbzBmACcvj58Tr9msiJWwEdozwyJx1kdOEcGCW0SwK6FkFy23YcAWQoRSpY_uFQz5kKOR0HEwVLUTzkdR9Spd6gaE_lrWyoCz5Ta7EBRC_LJd3OzrNMwF2U2xQ0IWKt3zwI_5w22JsxLh1LbrYf4_HQDEtNr0HJhO8D8eS8yaqn-zvPJo3dtaruWCHc=w986-h472-no

I'm currently using too a Compaq keyboard and Logitech Marble (white version, USB) with my Win9x build 😁

20151218_161003.jpg

Reply 10 of 21, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:

Absolutely. I think the peripheral gear is a fairly integral part of the experience and I have a couple nice items to use.

Totally agreed - use of modern devices with these particular configurations doesn't make much sense, for me: they are complementary to the final feeling...

Reply 11 of 21, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For keyboard, I use my Ducky Zero with MX Blues exclusively - it's switched between my rigs through an Aten KVM. I have no interest in using a shitty retro membrane keyboard (of course, if I ever got an IBM Model M, I would probably change my tune!).

As for mice, I have two main ones - my Steelseries Kana V3 for my modern desktop (attached directly), and a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical for the retro machines (through the KVM). My KVM can transpose between USB and PS/2 for both the keyboard and the mouse, which is very useful.

I also have a Microsoft Intellimouse PS/2 mouse and a Microsoft 2-Button Serial mouse in the drawer for the rare occasions when I need them, but they aren't permanently hooked up to anything.

Last edited by dexter311 on 2016-02-28, 22:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 21, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heck I use a pretty retro keyboard with my modern pc , a unicomp model m 101key . http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB4041A I intend to get either an ibm model m or another unicomp to use with my vintage systems . I have never liked membrane keyboards and I tend to break them rather quickly with regular use .

Reply 14 of 21, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still have the cheap "LINCE" membrane keyboard I got with my mother's first PC (a Cyrix MII 333). Still works fine - and I dare say it works better than some newer keyboards I've got.

For now I'm yet to get a mechanical keyboard, and I also never managed to break a membrane keyboard... Guess I just don't put a lot of pressure on the keys when typing.

Reply 15 of 21, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes and no.
I use an Apple wired keyboard generally, and if I find myself putting a lot of time into using something- or use it for my weird "I enjoy writing creatively on old computers", I use my second. For less active use I prefer period correct as best I can.

Used the same optical mouse since 2002 so that's not really an issue :p

Reply 16 of 21, by bhtooefr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sometimes I'll use retro keyboards with my modern machines, sometimes I'll use modern keyboards with my retro machines.

That said, I tend to prefer more portable machines, which often means integrated keyboards, so a retro portable machine has a retro keyboard automatically.

Reply 17 of 21, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As for a mouse, I suppose it is serial or otherwise. Difficult to imagine a 160 page manual only in English. I miss the days when technology floated on an island above the earth.

IMG_0728.JPG
Filename
IMG_0728.JPG
File size
2.14 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 21, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

I have a KeyTronic Lifetime Series (this one) that I use on my main DOS machine.

I'm still using a similar KeyTronic PS/2 keyboard with my Z97 Haswell i7 system. I bought it new for a P3 build in the late 90's. I took it completely apart and gave it a thorough cleaning when I did the i7 build. Works and looks like new! 😎

For the 386, I'm using an AT version of the same keyboard.

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!