VOGONS

SB16+Wave Blaster=AWE?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I fear my soldering capabilities are pretty weak 😒
I was thinking about disabling the internal amp as a cheap way to avoid messing around with soldering irons ^^
Nevertheless, I'm just dodging the issue, as sooner or later I'll have to learn how to do it and replace caps on motherboards/PSU/sound cards/whatever...

Reply 21 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PoulpSquad wrote:

I fear my soldering capabilities are pretty weak 😒

This statement leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Where are you at as far as skillz and equipment?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 23, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty skilled at breaking stuff, I guess.
My training with soldering irons makes me a terminal threat for anything that uses electricity, and also for myself (and probably others if they get close during one of my exalted moments).
In other words, I can do the most basic stuff with my primitive equipment and knowledge, but messing with electronic boards (like replacing caps) is out of my league.

I'd probably need to buy a decent soldering iron, and practice on a broken motherboard until I'm confident with messing with expensive retro stuff.
Lots of them capacitors everywhere on this retro stuff... An average SB is spiked with them ><

Last edited by PoulpSquad on 2016-03-07, 02:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PoulpSquad wrote:
I'm pretty skilled at breaking stuff, I guess. My training with soldering irons make me a terminal threat for anything that uses […]
Show full quote

I'm pretty skilled at breaking stuff, I guess.
My training with soldering irons make me a terminal threat for anything that uses electricity, and also for myself (and probably others if they get close during one of my exalted moments).
In other words, I can do the most basic stuff with my primitive equipment and knowledge, but messing with electronic boards (like replacing caps) is out of my league.

I'd probably need to buy a decent soldering iron, and practice on a broken motherboard until I'm confident with messing with expensive retro stuff.
Lots of them capacitors everywhere on this retro stuff... An average SB is spiked with them ><

Practice is key. That and laying off coffee when you need to do fine work.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder