VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know this is a little off-topic, but for me it's related to DOSBox development in that it applies to the environment in which I'm building its source code.

Does anyone know off-hand where I should go to look into adding the 'man' (man page) utility to my MinGW+MSYS installation?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by zorach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The usual source for native Unix utilities is: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

You may be able to massage rman/polyglotman into working for you. That said, you'd have to track down the man pages themselves then. You may have to bit the bullet and install cygwin. Just pay close attention to the way your paths are set up so you know when e.g. you're running the cygwin gcc vs. the mingw.

Reply 3 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've always wondered what the difference (and pros/cons) between MinGW and Cygwin are, as I'm unfamiliar with both. My PC at work came with Cygwin on it, but I do all of my development via an X-Windows session to a Solaris box so I never use Cygwin.

Reply 4 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I could not live without Cygwin 😀

The main difference between Cygwin and MinGW is that Cygwin compiled/linked programs requires the cygwin1.dll to be installed on the target machine. MinGW generates "pure" Windows code.

GCC under Cygwin has been tweaked to accept an extra switch, -nocygwin (or something like that), that *should* make the GCC system produce "pure" Windows code. For the few tests I have done, it seems to do the trick.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 7, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

I've always wondered what the difference (and pros/cons) between MinGW and Cygwin are, as I'm unfamiliar with both.

Well, I don't know if you know this but cygwin implements unix apis so that you can compile and run unix programs in windows. AFAIK Mingw is just a port of gcc and some unix utils to windows that can compile windows programs but not unix ones.
I hope that's clear 😀

Iampiti