VOGONS

First post, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My W98 system has dual cards on it: Voodoo2 SLI and GF4600, using 77.72 for Nvidia and 3.02.02 for 3DFX.

I would like to run Q3 Arena with the GF card. It works fine but as soon as I change any option on game's video preferences, the GL driver changes from "default" to "voodoo" and I can't change it back to use the GF card. Just pressing "defaults" option resets it, but I can't change resolution or anything else on video settings.

Is there some way to force this game to run with Nvidia?

Thanks in advance 😀

Reply 1 of 13, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried using 3D control center, but it won't allow me to change the current D3D device, changes between secondary and primary aren't keeping.

There should be something really wrong with my setup. If I remove 3DFX drivers, the game works just great using 4600. As soon as I install the voodoo drivers, I need to reboot every time I launch the game, otherwise it will render very very slow using Nvidia card (on first boot it works fine, second time I launch the game it lags).

Reply 3 of 13, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply leileilol 😀

I've tried to set r_maskMiniDriver 1 on q3 cfg but couldn't see any improvement.
Also tried to set it to 0 or launch the game with "quake3.exe +set r_glDriver opengl32" as you pointed out on some other thread.

So this is the process I'm repeating over and over:

1/ Install W98, INF driver, NVIDIA 77.82, LAN.
2/ Install Q3A and GTA2.
3/ Try out both games using GF4600 TI, since I didn't install V2 drivers yet. Everything works great. I can open and close the games without any issues.
4/ Install 3DFX 3.02.02 driver
5/ Set GTA2 to use V2 @ 800x600
6/ Here my system will be screwed up. After a clean boot I can run Q3 many times, closing and opening it. At this point if I launch GTA2 (which uses V2) start a new game, quit, and then launch Q3, it will start at something like 1FPS, forcing me to kill it and reboot if I want to play Q3 again.

Please let me know what could I try to debug this.

Reply 4 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could probably try making a null DLL file for glide3x.dll in the quake3 folder. probably would spout an error before startup though

Q3's startup checks for glide3x.dll and sets r_glDriver to 3dfxvgl every time.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 13, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Placed a 0kb glide3x.dll file near Q3 exec but it didn't do anything. No error is shown so I think it isn't switching to glide renderer.
Instead it uses opengl32 (Nvidia card) but at 1FPS so I must kill the process and reboot.

Reply 13 of 13, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally! I was able to find the source of the 1FPS problem 😀

It seems that the RAM was not 100% compatible with the board, although it passed Memtest without any complains.
I removed 2x 512MB sticks and it's working great at the moment. 1024MB is an overkill for W9x but I was planning to dual boot XP on this machine.

Really appreciate all your help, I've learned a lot this days.

Cheers!