VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Modern motherboards seem to have a pretty short life span. I've noticed many people do RMA these days. Just after a few years purchasing a new motherboard people often seem to start running into all kinds of issues. What's your experience on it?

Reply 1 of 19, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience, excluding PCCHIPS, motherboards are pretty robust, and even PCCHIPS can be very long lived if you get a OK one. I have found graphics cards the most fragile part of my PC's, lost more of those than even hard drives, surprised really as they are mechanical and work very hard. But I have lost more Video cards than any other component in a PC.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 2 of 19, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my experience you just need to choose the right motherboards. As with other thngs you get what you pay for more often than not.

During 2009 I built a lot of systems for family and friends and friends friends using the Asus P6T line of Socket-1366 motherboards. They are all still working although the two systems I have traded back in when people wanted newer systems were totally clogged with crud making the i7 CPUs throttle because they were reaching 100C during load.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At work recently I "recycled" a ton of old Core 2 duo machines. I tested them all, I think out of 100 machines, maybe 1 or 2 were faulty. Motherboards were Intel boards.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 19, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems like modern motherboards should be more reliable. They almost always use all solid caps now, and many modern boards are now conformal coated.

When we hear stories of boards being RMA'd we don't usually know the whole story behind it. It's possible that there was an ESD event that contributed, or a slipped screwdriver, some short from a loose screw, overly aggressive overclocking, etc.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 19, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't rule out some other causes like cheap PSUs, poor air flow and/or faulty fans.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 19, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Motherboards were Intel boards.

Intel motherboards is what I have been stacking up on for my retro rigs and it's also what I plan on buying for my modern rig.

Zup wrote:

Don't rule out some other causes like cheap PSUs, poor air flow and/or faulty fans.

I had a bad experience with my Gigabyte UD3 when PCIEX16 slots just died. It lasted about 2 years. Then I found out that some other folks had the exact same issue with this specific motherboard. And I went with Gigabyte for a reason...

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2016-04-06, 15:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an ASUS Sabretooth board complete with military-grade components and heatsinks covering virtually the entire board. It's DESIGED to be overclocked, though I clock it normal. So far, it's lasted me since mid-2013 without any issues. :)

Now let's scroll back to 2001 when I helped Mom get a new computer built which she ultimately gave to me when I moved out on my own in 2002. We had a fairly typical A-Bit motherboard put in, I forget the specific one. In 2005 I started getting weird date anomalies on the hard drive, where files would, at random, come up with date codes which made no sense. I thought maybe the hard drive was going and thus put in a second one to act strictly as a backup drive... but... only date codes were being affected and it started affecting the brand new drive too. The problem got worse and worse, STILL only affecting date codes, but now I was also having random system lock-ups. Eventually, some way into 2006, I had a lock-up while working on my Retro Wizard project (which never saw a release), I reset the system... and... the POST screen just sat there doing nothing. No amount of reboots fixed it. D:

A friend helped me take the motherboard out and lo and behold, the problem was a bad cap right next to the CPU. :P

Never fixed it as back then I didn't know enough about electronics to know that fixing such things were possible. I had taken the CPU and BIOS chips out without any concern for ESD or anything thinking the whole thing was never going to be possible to revive so... Yeah, never going to be revived NOW. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 19, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From 2003 to this day, my main PC has lost 3 videocards (x1800GTO and 2 HD5670) and 1 onboard sound chip on ASUS P5B. My Willamette Celly from 2003 is still working fine at my neighbour's place. Maybe I'm lucky.

Reply 10 of 19, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not that bad anymore as it was like 7-8 years ago with alot of brands but still the occasional failure line comes and goes.
Asrock used to be totally crap years ago and now produces over the whole line good boards, the Z77 bios issue is the only recent mass issue that goes around.
Asus had a few bad revisions in their line up the last 5 years, most of them in the AMD section.
Only brand I saw alot of bad boards lately was Supermicro where the boards or aren't stable or simply stop without any visual sign of defect. 😠

I build alot systems and in general I rely on Asus or Gigabyte boards. In the last 5 years I had only 2 boards that went defect out about 190 boards in total so it really seems to be a non issue anymore. 😀 Every system I build is designed to last 5 years minimum so they all do great. From the older boards a few died to external causes like lightning surges, spilled liquid over them or inserting USB devices the wrong way and forcing them in. 😵

10-15 years ago there where alot more boards that had issues long before 5 years passed, and not only due to bad capacitors..

Reply 11 of 19, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only buy Asus for myself, and no motherboard problems have ever risen...

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 12 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using Asus since the days of original Pentium, and almost never had a motherboard failure.

My current one is a P5Q premium and its running 5-6 hours average at least every single day since 2009, and still has no problems.

Last edited by tayyare on 2016-04-14, 08:53. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 13 of 19, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just had another VGA card die, a Nvidia TNT 16mb, stored indoors in anti-static bag. VRAM fail. totally corrupted right from BIOS. Off to the e-waste bin........

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 14 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1 thing too keep in mind is how much in on board these days. Video, Audio, Network in fact for a standard office PC really its only the drives, RAM, CPU, PSU.
So in the old days faulty sound/network wouldn't require you to swap the motherboard like now

Reply 15 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

So in the old days faulty sound/network wouldn't require you to swap the motherboard like now

Err... you can just go into the BIOS, disable the on-board device, and install a cheap add-in card to replace the functionality of the malfunctioning component. Heck, many features can even be done with USB devices nowadays. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 16 of 19, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using an old EVGA socket 939 AMD board right now from around 2004. Every component in this custom machine has lasted great since then (save for the old Nvidia gfx card, which was replaced not long ago). But I'm happily running Debian on it right now on 1.5GB of RAM and a 2.4Ghz single core CPU 😀

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 17 of 19, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly I have had great luck with modern motherboards. None of the machines I have built/or replaced with new motherboards have had any RMA issues. Mine uses onboard Realtek LAN and audio for everything for the past 4 years and counting with no issues from Windows 7 to 10. Honestly if anything It seems like as long as you shop smart and get a good working board from the get-go, lifespan is a non-issue.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18 of 19, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:

I have found graphics cards the most fragile part of my PC's,

my personal experience that would be the integrated graphics (Intel), i have 2 of such boards RMA.
The technicians said in both case the integrated graphics chip went kaput and its affected the motherbords.
One of technicians recommend me to use the dedicated graphics card instead,
so i go for cheap GT 620 graphic card, since then the new mainboard and the GT 620 are still kicking and its haven't failed on me, and its already last longer than the previous 2 motherboards.

-fffuuu

Reply 19 of 19, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never had a complete motherboard failure in my entire 29 years of computing. One time a Soyo slot 1 motherboard suffered an AGP slot failure but that's about it. On the other hand, I buried a Power Color Radeon 9700 and four hard drives during the same timespan 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png