VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrV

User metadata

Hello,

I'm trying to play Warcraft 2 multiplayer. I have a laptop(Windows2K), which is using DosBox and old IBM P166MMX (Windows98). Question is, what IPX settings should I get for my IBM so I can get these 2 PCs connected?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 8, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe that's not possible. You should make sure both machines use dosbox since the network is virtual and only exists within dosbox.

I think that ipx is emulated through tcp/ip. the ipxnet connection can only be emulated using a tcp/ip internet (or lan) connection and that way you can use ipx.

I could be somewhat wrong, though I'm pretty sure both computers must use dosbox in order to join the network.

Or you can search for a network driver for your card somewhere and use a real network, if that's an option for you.

I'm sure I've read a guide for this, but I can't remember where I found it. Possibly on this board, or maybe even in a readme file that comes with dosbox, can't remember.

Reply 6 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

If you're still having problems, try various network card drivers for dos.

I had crashes when i was trying to connect 2 computers to play slipstream 5000 in dos, also using ipx.

I installed an older network driver and that solved my problem.
It might be a similar problem so you could give it a try.

Reply 8 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've constantly heard reports from people having trouble connecting via IPX between 2k/XP and Windows 9x....even IPX for games between 2k/xp and 2k/xp is pretty shaky. Either use Windows 98 on the host for both or use emulation, dosbox/VPC/Vmware.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline