VOGONS

Common searches

Windows Me - "Misunderstood Edition"

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 122, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is? I thought the RAM slot under the keyboard was the same one as under the laptop itself.

Windows ME gets funky if you go past 1GB, doesn't it?

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 42 of 122, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
notsofossil wrote:

There is? I thought the RAM slot under the keyboard was the same one as under the laptop itself.

Windows ME gets funky if you go past 1GB, doesn't it?

as with 98SE theres patch for ME that would allow it to works with 2GB RAM.
If you're using OEM version of winME that version may already include the patch,
I do remember some OEM did patch the win ME installation .CAB files so it would use the patched kernel that optimized for specific computer configuration instead,
which usually fix some issues that would appear if it was installed with retail winME installation CD instead.

-fffuuu

Reply 43 of 122, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All this talk of Windows ME is making me feel nostalgic. Once I finish my 486 build I might load ME and its tweaks on another SD card in my Pentium III machine.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 44 of 122, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really like ME, it's fits the time frame of my interest in Windows machines pretty well(Y2K-ish), it's stable(far more so than 95 or 98, at least on the systems I have in on(correct era)), has good in built driver support for correct era builds and has USB drive support, very convenient. I have it on a Celeron 466 MHz, K6-2 450 & 2 Cyrix MII machines, the lack of DOS doesn't bother me as I have a 386,486 and K5 166 for that, never found a DOS program I want to run that they cant handle easily.
One other thing I will say is that ME handles hardware changes far better than 98SE, I have swapped video cards dozens of times in my ME machines without issue, first swap or 2 in 98 and it's a ruin.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 45 of 122, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a problem that comes to mind:

Win ME ships with DirectX 7.1 and you're supposed to use WDM drivers with it. WDM drivers for old sound cards often have buggy 3D audio. Early WDM drivers were just not great. Aureal cards don't even have WDM drivers that are usable. Using VXD sound card drivers beyond DirectX 7.0a can cause freezes with some games.

Reply 46 of 122, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In a case like that, clearly Windows 98SE fits that need better.

I'm not saying Windows ME is better than 98SE, they just fit different needs.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 47 of 122, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Here's a problem that comes to mind:

Win ME ships with DirectX 7.1 and you're supposed to use WDM drivers with it. WDM drivers for old sound cards often have buggy 3D audio. Early WDM drivers were just not great. Aureal cards don't even have WDM drivers that are usable. Using VXD sound card drivers beyond DirectX 7.0a can cause freezes with some games.

Swaaye,

You do bring up a valid point. I will say though that, after tweaking the resources on my AWE64, my games still ran perfectly fine on the WDM drivers for the card. Fortunately, I feel the Creative drivers were more mature than say Aureal drivers were at the time.

At any rate, YMMV.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 48 of 122, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mattrock1988 wrote:

I feel the Creative drivers were more mature at that point than say Aureal drivers were at the time.

Windows ME release date - September 14, 2000
Aureal Defunct - September 21, 2000

It could be the reason. Thanks to Creative...

Reply 49 of 122, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well... yeah... Creative pulled a real shit move suing Aureal.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 50 of 122, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aside from Microsoft's effort to kill DOS which is quite evident from this version, as a Win9x based OS, it is quite solid. Even more stable than Windows 98, more so in newer systems. And it boots quite fast too.

I didn't like the default desktop icons set, though. (Which can be changed, btw.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 51 of 122, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why is it automatically an "effort to kill", when something is old and obsolete?

I understand why /we/ like DOS, but really by 2000 its time was up.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 52 of 122, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, in this case it seemed a very artificial move to block the pure DOS mode, given that it was still there under the hood. Nothing really changed, except the ability to easily set BootGUI=0. So the question is - why?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 53 of 122, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

Well, in this case it seemed a very artificial move to block the pure DOS mode, given that it was still there under the hood. Nothing really changed, except the ability to easily set BootGUI=0. So the question is - why?

One less feature to certify, test, and provide support for.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 54 of 122, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In theory, this is true, but in that specific case? Certification was not a topic back then, testing - what's there to test that hasn't already been tested? Support may be the only thing.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 55 of 122, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

If I draw my own conclusions:

Microsoft already wanted to move on from DOS back in 1987, when OS/2 was supposed to be the "follow up" of DOS. They even ran advertising campaigns stating that "DOS is dead".
With DOS, Microsoft had competitors in the market (most notably DR-DOS) which potentially hurt their sales.
That is why Microsoft eventually released MS-DOS 5.0 & 6.0 (up to 6.22), even though the original intention was to stop at version 4.0.

However, I think with the release of Windows 95 & then Windows 98, Microsoft was finally able to steer developers towards writing software & games for the Windows platform, but many users (mostly businesses) still stuck to their old DOS based software (since it was very costly for small to medium businesses to upgrade their entire software & hardware base to run on Windows in just one go).

I think ME was just supposed to be "stop gap" until Windows XP was ready for release, but in my opinion, they could just as well have left it.

Reply 56 of 122, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:
If I draw my own conclusions: […]
Show full quote
dr_st wrote:

If I draw my own conclusions:

Microsoft already wanted to move on from DOS back in 1987, when OS/2 was supposed to be the "follow up" of DOS. They even ran advertising campaigns stating that "DOS is dead".
With DOS, Microsoft had competitors in the market (most notably DR-DOS) which potentially hurt their sales.
That is why Microsoft eventually released MS-DOS 5.0 & 6.0 (up to 6.22), even though the original intention was to stop at version 4.0.

However, I think with the release of Windows 95 & then Windows 98, Microsoft was finally able to steer developers towards writing software & games for the Windows platform, but many users (mostly businesses) still stuck to their old DOS based software (since it was very costly for small to medium businesses to upgrade their entire software & hardware base to run on Windows in just one go).

I think ME was just supposed to be "stop gap" until Windows XP was ready for release, but in my opinion, they could just as well have left it.

OS/2 was a IBM OS not Microsoft.
ME made a lot of sense at the time, it offered a lot of Windows 2000's features but was far more compatible with win 9x software and the hardware that was around at the time. 2k was great, but drivers were a problem and software compatibility took a good while to come together for NT based OS's for the home user.

Reply 57 of 122, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My ME story:

Back when the first Beta release of ME happened I did the switch and ran it on all of my personal computers, it was buggy, but I think I did it to try and get out of my dos habits, ofcourse in doing so I found it to be a bit of a disaster but I stuck with it, even installed the full retail version when it came out, even tho I installed 98se for everyone els I stuck with ME right up to XP was released, because I never really cared for it, it wasnt great and I never had much fondness for it, and I left it behind.

Its been a long time and I found that I enjoy building and experimenting with older computers far more than newer ones, I revisited ME after installing 98Se on most of my retro rigs, and I must say, after installing the unofficial service pack , it is ROCK solid, detects my hardware better, has less driver problems, and runs usb better, it is by far better in my eyes than 98se , I have no idea why people dislike it so much.

Thing is , I have noticed it is a bit more ram hungry and come to think of it back in they day I ran either 32megs or later 64megs, and I think that is the biggest cause of ME instability.

The biggest problem tho is that it lacks native dos support without lots of patching, and I think thats why its still dreaded for retro enthusiasts, but lets be honest, today we are spoiled for choice, PLOP Boot manager lets you run 6.11 and ME perfectly , so I see this as a non-issue.

Reply 58 of 122, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BSA Starfire wrote:

Co-developed with Microsoft until IBM and Microsoft decided to part ways around 1990 (there were various reasons for this).
OS/2 was originally going to be the operating system for the future but, eventually became Windows NT after IBM and Microsoft parted ways.
A large portion of the code in OS/2 was written by Microsoft and some of this was also used in Windows NT. Hence, why IBM has never released the source code for OS/2 and is unlikely to do so.
But, I'm now diverting from the main topic here.

Last edited by jesolo on 2016-04-11, 10:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 59 of 122, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:
Co-developed with Microsoft until IBM and Microsoft decided to part ways around 1990, when Windows 3.0 proved more popular (ther […]
Show full quote
BSA Starfire wrote:

Co-developed with Microsoft until IBM and Microsoft decided to part ways around 1990, when Windows 3.0 proved more popular (there were various other reasons).
OS/2 was originally going to be the operating system for the future.
A large portion of the code in OS/2 was written by Microsoft and was also used in Windows NT. Hence, why IBM has never released the source code for OS/2 and is unlikely to do so.
But, I'm now diverting from the main topic here.

That's interesting, one of the things I love about this forum, you learn something new everyday!