VOGONS

8GB of DDR1 in a socket 939 system

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 128, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First thing : I would like to thank U all users in this topic (learned few things).
I was able to get a Samsung ECC Reg memory (ZCCC chips used).
Result : http://i.imgur.com/gyGjkq2.png

GPU benchamarks :
3DMark Vantage
http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5401639

3DMark Fire Strike Ultra
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7313868

157143230295.png

Reply 62 of 128, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

A 780 Ti in that system? holy cpu bottleneck batman... 😲 🤣 😢 😒

CPU Bottlenecking is overrated 😀 : LINK
^I've got "10 degrees C of bottleneck", because GPU should be at 83C at max load.

With GTX 780 Ti I can do 4k through DSR and GPU utilisation will go up 😎

On a side note : LINK
Clawhammers do support ECC memory... but only in Single Channel mode 😒

157143230295.png

Reply 63 of 128, by yuhong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zenn wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Why not just go for 16GB for about $40?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281419661431

Wow that's a 4GB DDR DIMM! Honestly don't think any consumer desktop board would be able to use that. Probably limited to Opteron Socket 940 server boards like the one here: http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/O … /8131/H8DA8.cfm

Even Intel supported 1Gbit DDR back in 2002 with the Xeon chipsets (unlike the desktop chipsets), but they are of course not interesting without a PAE capable OS. I think most E7525 boards used DDR2 not DDR, right?

Reply 65 of 128, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:

FX-60 @ 3,05GHz (with 8GB RAM) vs. Crysis : LINK

Just WOW,4k and still more or less playable 😲

Btw i maybe missed this note but,which hsf you use to keep this hotty cooled such well even overclocked?

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 67 of 128, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:

Just WOW,4k and still more or less playable 😲

Btw i maybe missed this note but,which hsf you use to keep this hotty cooled such well even overclocked?

I'm using Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/939 bolt kit) with Delta FFB1212EHE fan (and MX-2 paste in between) 😀
This Delta fan can push 190CFM's (5,38m3/min) of Air and can generate Air Pressure of 17,78 mmH2O (or 0,7 inchH2O) at 100% fan speed (ie. ~4000RPM).
Basicly : This is one of the most powerful air cooling combos U can get for S939 (having Push-Pull Delta on TRUE won't give much difference for this CPU - I checked 😎).

Also, in this next video, I maxed out my GTX 780 Ti using this setup (settings : 4k with true MSAA x8) : LINK
VRAM usage is at ~2,8GB to 2,9GB most of the time.

PS. Delta Fan wasn't blowing at 100% all the time (QFan = Enabled, 50% Idle and 100% if CPU Core temp is over 50C).

157143230295.png

Reply 68 of 128, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
I'm using Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/939 bolt kit) with Delta FFB1212EHE fan (and MX-2 paste in between) :) This Delta f […]
Show full quote

I'm using Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/939 bolt kit) with Delta FFB1212EHE fan (and MX-2 paste in between) 😀
This Delta fan can push 190CFM's (5,38m3/min) of Air and can generate Air Pressure of 17,78 mmH2O (or 0,7 inchH2O) at 100% fan speed (ie. ~4000RPM).
Basicly : This is one of the most powerful air cooling combos U can get for S939 (having Push-Pull Delta on TRUE won't give much difference for this CPU - I checked 😎).

Also, in this next video, I maxed out my GTX 780 Ti using this setup (settings : 4k with true MSAA x8) : LINK
VRAM usage is at ~2,8GB to 2,9GB most of the time.

PS. Delta Fan wasn't blowing at 100% all the time (QFan = Enabled, 50% Idle and 100% if CPU Core temp is over 50C).

Thanks for reply,gj with overclocking,not every of em can handle 3ghz at air and sorry for offtopic 😈

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 69 of 128, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For future references, how my ECC (Registrated) RAM, looks like.

Samsung ZCCC, 4 x 2GB (8GB total) :
VmhR1k7.jpg
nj9LMZ2.jpg

Capabilities :
It can do ~470MHz @ 2.5.3.3.7 CR1T @ 2,6V (all 4 modules together, ie. 8GB).

PS. Software Memory Hole (or Memory Remap Feature), should be used for 64-bit OS'es only.
With x86 (or 32-bit), it decreased the RAM available for Windows by 256MB (if it's left on [Enabled] position).

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2016-02-12, 10:46. Edited 2 times in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 71 of 128, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I modified my description, but I don't think U can get a non-Registered 2GB DDR1 ECC modules/sticks.

+ U can also tell that mine are Registrated type, from letter "R" in "PC3200R".

157143230295.png

Reply 72 of 128, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried a pair of 2GB DDR400 Reg ECC 128Mx4 modules in an Asus A8N-SLI. These are the same modules that work in a socket 940 server (where I took them from). It's only a partial success. They work, but for some reason the BIOS only makes 3GB usable.

The POST screen and the setup screen show that 4096MB are installed but 3072MB "usable". A Linux Mint 17.3 64bit USB flash drive could only access 3GB of the RAM. This drive also has memtest86+ 4.20 on it, and that also only sees 3GB.
I think I've used that flash drive before with machines that had larger amounts of RAM, so I don't think it's an OS limitation. It seems that the BIOS really is limiting the usable RAM to 3GB, and it basically says so on the POST screen.
There is a setting in the BIOS for "S/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping" which was enabled by default. I tried disabling it but that reduces the usable RAM down to only 2.5GB. With that option Enabled, the usable RAM is 3GB.

I tried adding a 3rd module, a 1GB registered DDR333, so now 5GB was installed. This actually caused the BIOS to only detect 2GB installed and usable. Then I added a 4th module, a 512MB registered DDR333 - making a total of 5.5GB of registered memory installed. At this point the board no longer POSTs.

The board is running BIOS 1014, which according to Asus' support page is the last official release. They do have a beta BIOS from about 1.5yrs later which I have not tried. There is no notation of what the changes were in that beta BIOS.

Bottom line, it seems to be impossible to exceed 3GB in the A8N-SLI. Asus advertised support for 4GB but in reality it seems their BIOS limits it to 3GB. Granted, Asus did not officially endorse registered modules, but somebody here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/3561 … deluxe-how-to-/
apparently had the same problem and I would assume they were using the officially endorsed unbuffered memory that a consumer would have been buying in 2006. The only response to that person points to an FAQ entry which is 404.

If anybody has had more than 3GB recognized on any version of the A8N-SLI (non-32) boards, please describe how you did it.
Perhaps a different BIOS will do something. I might try the beta BIOS.

----
Additional note:

Kithylin wrote:

The one thing I can say is using ecc-reg ram in the A8n32-SLI series boards you have to have memory hole enabled in bios, and ECC enabled or it won't POST/Run with high density ecc-reg dimms (2GB and higher). I remember having to use a couple sticks of 1GB sticks in there to enable those settings, then shut down, install the 4GB sticks then it came on.

There's an ECC section for the ram settings in bios, that normally is not displayed with "normal desktop" ram, but when the system detects ecc ram, and you boot with it and go back in to bios, it shows up. At least that's how mine worked, with the latest bios version.

On my A8N-SLI (BIOS 1014, non Premium, not the "32", just plain A8N-SLI) the behavior is similar. For me, if "ECC Master Enable" is disabled, then it would not POST with even a 1GB DDR333 Reg ECC module. It did however POST with a 512MB DDR333 RegECC. It would also POST with 512MB DDR400 unbuffered ECC. Either of those 512MB modules was sufficient to make the ECC toggle available, and once that was enabled, then the 1GB and 2GB regECC modules began working, but with the odd 3GB "usable" limitation described above.

I must say I've found this board very quirky in how it responds to various arrangements of RAM. As mentioned above, adding a 3rd and 4th regECC module caused memory size to *drop* and then no POST altogether, respectively. Using a single module in the wrong slot also causes no POST. If ECC is disabled, no POST with larger modules (as kithylin described). I don't remember when I've used a board that was so glitchy about what combinations are installed and where. It seems like the BIOS has a half broken ability to sync up SPD information and gets confused easily.

Reply 73 of 128, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A couple notes for you shamino.

To get more than 3.5 GB ram usable on this system you have to enable "memory hole" in bios.

In bios: Advanced menu -> CPU Configuration -> Memory Setting (At the bottom) -> Memory Configuration -> HardWare Memory Hole -> Enable

Be Warned: This feature is supported only by REV E0 processors or higher. I'm not -Exactly- what this means but it may not work on all CPU's. Opterons have the most success with this.

As to the ECC Settings...

ECC Menu is: In bios: Advanced menu -> CPU Configuration -> Memory Setting (At the bottom) -> ECC Configuration -> Options.

These are mainly for taking advantage of ECC Ram and mainly for server functions, you can enable all of these for system stability when running, but they have no effect on the ram's basic functions as to working or not.

Pretty much you need to install some sort of ram to get in to bios, then enable Memory Hole, then you can shut down, install the rest of the ram and it should work right up to 16 GB. Should.. I only tested mine with 8GB (2GB X 4) and it worked for me. In theory 4 x 4GB should work as well.

Asus has the memory hole setting buried pretty deeply nested into the settings and it's not easy to find.

Reply 74 of 128, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All U need to know about Memory Remap in A8N series (done on A8N32 BUT, BIOS should be similar in A8N - just search for the options) : LINK
How did U set up [MTRR Mapping] ?

Also : No need to watch all the video, just check BIOS settings I change from 6:34.

157143230295.png

Reply 75 of 128, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks kithylin and agent_x007.
I can see from agent_x007's video that the layout of the A8N-SLI BIOS is completely different than the A8N32-SLI. In fact, the underlying BIOS isn't even the same "brand" - the A8N-SLI is Phoenix AwardBIOS, while in the video I see the A8N32-SLI is using American Megatrends.
Under Advanced I have a "DRAM Configuration" page, but it only shows settings for the basic memory timings and then:
S/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping (enabled - disabling reduces usable RAM further)
Master ECC Enable (enabled - disabling makes 1-2GB Reg ECC modules no longer POST)
There is no ECC submenu, just a basic enable/disable.
I looked around again but haven't been able to find the "memory hole" option anywhere. I also do not have an MTRR setting.

However, I no longer have the 2x 2GB modules installed. I needed to put them back in the server. Right now it's running with only a pair of 512MB unbuffered ECC, so it's possible that would prevent it from showing the same options. I will be getting some more of the 2GB modules in the mail early next week so when I plug those in I'll check again to make sure no other options appear.

kithylin wrote:

Be Warned: This feature is supported only by REV E0 processors or higher. I'm not -Exactly- what this means but it may not work on all CPU's. Opterons have the most success with this.

My CPU is a D0 stepping "Winchester", so if E0 is required then maybe that could cause the option to be hidden.

I'll probably need to try flashing to the Beta bios and see if it changes anything. It's something like 18 months newer than the last official BIOS (which is what's currently on it). Something apparently motivated Asus to update the BIOS long after they thought it was EOL.

If that doesn't work, then maybe it's because of my D0 CPU.

Reply 76 of 128, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got a socket 939 system, and it had a gig of ram. I added 2 more sticks so now its 1.5 gigs. The mobo is an EVGA and its pretty interesting. I want to get FreeBSD on there, but the old nvidia gfx card has issues.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 77 of 128, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update on the A8N-SLI:
I've found another problem with using registered memory on this board (maybe it's the CPU's fault). If I use registered memory then "CoolnQuiet" P-state switching is unstable. The system locks up hard every time it tries to throttle clock/voltages (using official clocks/voltages, nothing altered). If unbuffered memory is installed, it works fine. I had the same lockup problem in linux and in WinXP, but only when registered memory is installed. Happened even with smaller registered modules, not just with the 2GB ones.

My overall opinion at this point is the A8N-SLI hasn't worked well for me with registered memory, but people have clearly had success with it on the later A8N32-SLI model.
Again though, I haven't ruled out whether this could be caused by the CPU stepping (D0 Winchester) rather than the motherboard. I might get a later CPU sometime but 939 CPUs are expensive. If anybody has had better behavior with registered memory on the A8N-SLI (not A8N32), then I'd be curious to know what CPU stepping you have, in case that's making a difference.

Reply 79 of 128, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

The solution there is just disable cool`n`quiet, it literally makes no difference in power or cooling on these chips. I believe they only switch between a lower speed and a higher speed, with just 2 settings. I always disable it on all amd chips in every amd computer I have. It's generally unstable and useless.

That's an option but part of the motivation for this system was to have a lower power desktop for general usage during the summer, so my power guzzling main machine won't need to be on very much.
At default voltages, throttling on this machine (with 4x 512MB unbuffered memory) saves 10W from the wall at idle. With undervolting of the low power state, the savings increases to 13W. 13W isn't the end of the world but it's still enough to want it working for how the machine will be used.
CoolnQuiet with registered RAM works perfectly on my 940 server, but those CPUs/boards/BIOSes are actually intended to support registered memory. I'm suspicious that the Winchester core 939 chip's integrated memory controller is a little dodgy in this scenario for whatever reason.

--
one other finding: On the A8N-SLI, I can't get it to POST with 8GB installed. It will only POST with 1 or 2 of the 2GB registered modules, but not with 4 of them. I tried reseating them 3 times. All are identical and confirmed working as singles/pairs.
Still need to try the beta bios though. It's still running the final release BIOS.