Oldbie

Not a single drive bay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16811139044

Truly it is the end of days.

Reply 1 of 39, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha yep. I noticed that last year. A lot of the newer cases had only one, and some had none. Such is life I suppose.

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 2 of 39, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snorg wrote:

Not a single drive bay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16811139044

Truly it is the end of days.

When you buy Windows 10, you can get it on a USB key. There's basically no need for an optical drive any more.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 39, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most people I know anymore have a USB dvd drive

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 39, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't worry not every class will abandon external 5 1/4. A lot of people still use optical drives, and those that don't may use a fan controller, memory card reader, hot swappable hard drive dock or any other equipment you may need. Heck on my main computer I have an Optical drive and a pull at drawer in my 5 1/4 slots.

Reply 7 of 39, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Surprised? I think it was last year that the first case with not 5.25" drive bays appeared. My current case has two 5.25" drive bays and zero 3.5". I don't remember the last time I recorded a CD-R or DVD-R for my own personal use. It's mostly for business that I still need one. Apart from that, I have a slim laptop DVD-RW in a USB enclosure.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 9 of 39, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Most people I know anymore have a USB dvd drive

If that's a common thing then people should reconsider their planning. The point of a computer case is to put components neatly inside, not have them strewn all over on USB cables. 😀
I'm in the opposite situation I guess. I just bought my first SSD and my newest case doesn't have a mounting point for 2.5" drives. I'll probably just tape it somewhere.

Reply 11 of 39, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The days of regular removable media use are well behind us. I rarely even use DVD/BD disks anymore, and I when I do, I can just plug in an external drive. Why waste the space for something rarely, if ever, used. I'll always have a DVD drive in my retro computer, but in my mainstream one, it is not needed anymore.

I'm also a huge fan of moving the power supply to the bottom of the case. Old cases were always so top heavy with the PS on top.

With VR potentially catching on, how long until we see cases with a HDMI port in the front?

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 12 of 39, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AAAAAUUUUUUGGGHH!

IT LOOKS LIKE A (resists urge to swear) TOASTER!!

But seriously, that is one of the ugliest cases I've seen. I saw one uglier in Maximum PC the other day, though 🤣
Whatever happened to a plain white rectangular box? *sigh* Those were the days...

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13 of 39, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

Whatever happened to a plain white rectangular box? *sigh* Those were the days...

They've all been bought up by Vogons members. 🤣.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14 of 39, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's the larger 540 with two 5.25" bays.

finishedtray.jpg

These dual-chamber cases are cumbersome but sport superb air cooling, with storage clutter moved aside the intake fans blow on the mobo at point-blank range.

Let the air flow!

Reply 15 of 39, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't like vertical mounted optical drives my self. (Have allways had my Playstation2 placed horisontal)

Anyways...
I think the trend of loosing removeable drives, were allways fueled by Apple.
First they lost the Floppy, then the optical drive and now everyone is following foot.
It's never the less evolution. Been like that all the time and has changed all the time.
At least there are still removeable media, it's just not drives. Yet still removeable
storage in one or another form.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16 of 39, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 4.0ghz 8 core machine has both a DVD drive and a 3.5inch floppy. Comes in handy working on older systems 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 17 of 39, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not for me, but I understand the trend. My private machines all have optical drives, and almost all have a floppy. Though with networking, I don't need them much after the initial install.

My work laptop (my only work machine) has no optical drive. And I haven't encountered a single situation where I would've needed one so far.

Reply 18 of 39, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate modern cases, they're the absolute pinnacle of retarded design in the field of computers for many reasons;

> Overpiced
> Very poor build quality with poor quality materials
> Bottom mounter PSU - there is literally no benefit to this and I believe it violates the ATX standard anyway.
> Often screwless... Am I supposed to use tape?
> Silly drive bays, not only screwless but in the worst possible position and orientation. My hard drive manuals say you can't mount them vertically but the case maker put them this way.
> Drive bays also rotated by 90 Degrees so the wires point OUT of the case and catch the side panel.
> Horrible cable management.
> Ugly colors.
> Ugly, often over bright LED lights... Sometimes an LED is omitted (Usually for the hard drive).
> Often there is no RESET button.
> Front panel connectors. They're usually rubbish and often there are ones my board has no header for.
> That PSU thing really pisses me off so I'm mentioning it again.
> Quite often they omit a 3.5" external bay, I like to put a flash card reader there!
> The PSU again.
> Nowhere to mount radiators unless you pay a lot of money, but they are in the worst possible place, usually directly above and obstructing the CPU.
> Wonky fan sizes. A lot of cheap cases come with weird sized fans that have annoying LEDs. I cannot get a replacement for this 173mm piece of crap, what am I meant to do? And if I mount a 140m one it looks shitty(er)!
> That FUCKING PSU!!!
> These cases are huge, how come there is so little room to install drives and such?
> THAT FUCKING PSU!!! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!!! I... FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To name a few.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 19 of 39, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree with you on many points, especially build quality and screwless design, but disagree on the PSU thing.

The ATX standard was designed so the PSU can suck out heat from the processor, so that a passive cooler for the CPU is sufficient in most cases. They didn't, however, anticipate the massive power draw and heat modern CPUs and video cards are producing.

So the PSU is forced to suck hot air out of the case, meaning the PSUs innards heat up more than necessary.

With the PSU at the bottom, it can suck cool air in from below the case (most cases have bigger feet than previously to accomodate that), plus the hardware can vent out at the top of the case, with a single slow moving fan or even without a fan. That's a much more intelligent design if you ask me.