VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by legluondunet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I would like to play old game like Motoracer 1 et 2.
I installed Windows 98 on Virtualbox but it doesn't support hardware acceleration, so this directx games don't launch.
I know that Dosbox could support WIndows 9x with hardware acceleration? Is it true?
How to compile it (I'm on Linux Ubuntu) and install WIndows 98?

Thanks for the help.

Reply 1 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Official DOSBox does not support Win9x. There are a couple non-official builds that may do better with 9x, but these forums are for the official DOSBox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 10, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check out this guide.
If you need 3dfx emulation, use ykhwong's build. It's highly experimental, so expect it to be a bit buggy here and there. But overall, it runs Win9x quite nicely.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 3 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, don't use ykhwong's build. It is very buggy and based on Dosbox-x which has seen a lot of development since ykhwong flawed build

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 10, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use Dosbox Daum fron 27 Jan 2014 with Win98, (but more stable with win95).

But it's better to search for the motorracer patch for win xp / 7 and run it under xp /7.

u can also run patched Motoracer on a virtual xp with 3D hardware accelleration in virtualbox, vm player, or something.

Reply 5 of 10, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
legluondunet wrote:

I know that Dosbox could support WIndows 9x with hardware acceleration?

ykhwong's build has Voodoo 1 emulation (DX5 games) wich works ok only in software mode what is slow in many games as there was not implemented a separate CPU thread for 3D card emulation. It's better to look for other variants for 3D games.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 6 of 10, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

No, don't use ykhwong's build. It is very buggy and based on Dosbox-x which has seen a lot of development since ykhwong flawed build

What alternative do you propose for 3dfx?