VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now that Roland Sound Canvas VA has reached "good enough" territory, it's time for me to go on a DOS replay binge and hear what I've been missing, having been used to MS GS Synth and Adlib emulation for years.

What should I add to my MIDI bucket list?

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 2 of 48, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have to echo Descent. Some tracks are hit and miss, but a few of them are spectacular pieces of Sound Canvas MIDI engineering. Brilliant stuff.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 4 of 48, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some of the later Sierra games sound quite good. Strike Commander, Lost Vikings, Sam and Max, DOTT, Raptor and many more!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 48, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Lost Vikings

I actually was running this one on the MT32 option and thought it sounded really good that way. I should record comparisons sometime. Officially the "definitive version" of that soundtrack is the SNES, but the DOS version can sound quite good on quality hardware.

Reply 7 of 48, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zerker wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Lost Vikings

I actually was running this one on the MT32 option and thought it sounded really good that way. I should record comparisons sometime. Officially the "definitive version" of that soundtrack is the SNES, but the DOS version can sound quite good on quality hardware.

I just remember playing that game in the old days and really liking the music 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 48, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are a LOT of GM-compatible Sierra games. Can you be more specific about which ones are the best?

Also, I understand Lands of Lore uses capital tone fallback, and that won't work in Sound Canvas VA (or anything other than an old GS hardware synth, really). Is there any way around this, like a patch, or fixed version of DOSBox, or ScummVM? If not, how much of a difference does it make?

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 9 of 48, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is this thread doing in MT-32 General?

Also:

Gabriel Knight
Quest for Glory 4
Death Gate
Shannara
Mission Critical
Crosstime Saloon

And the MIDI Collections from Falcom and Konami, among several Japanese GM/GS game soundtracks.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 11 of 48, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really enjoyed:

Touché (but read this: Touché: Stuck note on SC-55)
Conquests of the Longbow (but get the MIDI patch: http://sierrahelp.com/Utilities/SoundUtilities.html)

edit: also really liked Frontier: First Encounters (the Dave Lowe stuff), Azrael's Tear and of course Duke Nukem 3D, The 7th Guest and the Tex Murphy games.

edit 2: and TFX and Warcraft 2, even though they both also have CD-audio alternatives

Reply 13 of 48, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah yes, I forgot about Warcraft 2. Good call. Though, I do prefer the SC-88 redbook recordings.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 14 of 48, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Warcraft 2 is one of the few games where Sound Canvas really beats competition to a pulp.

Yeah good call! Warcraft 2 is my go to game for the Roland Sound Canvas and testing audio hardware in general. Shame on us for leaving it out 😀

Lands of Lore actually sounds better to me on the Roland MT-32 for those heavy drums.

Space Quest 6 and Kings Quest 6 are some other good titles for the Sound Canvas.

I think you'll find most late Sierra titles had music made with the Sound Canvas in mind. If a Sierra title uses that newish mouse driven install program its a good indicator you should be using Sound Canvas while anything with the old school black and white batch style install program your probably better off using a Roland MT-32.

Last edited by rgart on 2016-04-23, 05:33. Edited 1 time in total.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 15 of 48, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Star Trek: Judgment Rites, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Sid Meier's Colonization, System Shock, Wing Commander 3, Wings of Glory, Pacific Strike, Anvil of Dawn. Don't believe these have been mentioned yet.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 16 of 48, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Some of the later Sierra games sound quite good. Strike Commander, Lost Vikings, Sam and Max, DOTT, Raptor and many more!

I thought DOTT's musical scores were composed for the Roland MT-32?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 18 of 48, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Care to rate or rank these Sierra GM tracks? I don't think I'll be replaying all of them - just the best of them.

The Dagger of Amon Ra
EcoQuest 2
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
Gabriel Knight
Gabriel Knight 2
Island of Dr. Brain
King's Quest VI
King's Quest VII
Leisure Suit Larry 6
Pepper's Adventures in Time
Police Quest I Remake
Police Quest IV