VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been messing around with Q3 Arena and it's not quite what I expected in terms of a 1st person shooter. Is Quake 2 any better in that regard? Don't have a lot of experience with this type stuff, looking for something spooky and scary, going down dark tunnels/corridors and the like with decent graphics. Got a P3 450mhz. system decked out for win98/dos so can't go much past 2001 era.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake2 has a confused identity. On one side, it wants to be a frenetic noholdsbarred metalupyourasssoundtrack egoshooter, and on the other it wants to be a moody, inventory-focused smart gun game with use of tactics (there's even a rudimentary stealth system where you could hide in darkness implemented). Even renderering is confused; you've got a software renderer with balanced lighting and overbrights, and an accelerated renderer that makes things darker than/colorful as a rave party, hiding a lot of the texture colors and blurring out a lot of the skin detail.

Quake3 is definitely a frenetic multiplayer game with thematic callbacks to Doom, Quake and Quake2, with the item/tactics of Quake2 completely distilled out. No darkness here.

If you're looking for the appropriate "spooky dark corridors" game for the P3, look no further than Thief/Thief2/SystemShock2/WheelOfTime/Undying/Alice/AvP/DeusEx (ok that might be slow but still)

Last edited by leileilol on 2016-04-08, 20:06. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 13, by CU-133A+

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
buckeye wrote:

Don't have a lot of experience with this type stuff, looking for something spooky and scary, going down dark tunnels/corridors and the like with decent graphics.

Quake 1 😎

Reply 4 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CU-133A+ wrote:
buckeye wrote:

Don't have a lot of experience with this type stuff, looking for something spooky and scary, going down dark tunnels/corridors and the like with decent graphics.

Quake 1 😎

Definitely. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 13, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake 3 is a multiplayer only game, as PhilsComputerLab says. You can play it on your own, against it's very good bots (bots are computer controlled oponnents, programmed to play the game as humans would), but you're still playing a multiplayer game, just without any human opponents.

Most first person shooters also have a single player campaign, including Quake 1, 2, and 4, but I personally don't like any Quake game other than 3.

FPS (first person shooter) campaigns vary from game to game, some, such as Doom 1 and 2, or Quake 1, or are mostly simple move from the beginning of the level to the end, killing everything in your way, and perhaps finding a key to unlock/open a door. Other great games like this are Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Unreal, No One Lives Forever, , Halo 1 and 2, Half-Life 1 and 2, and lots of others.

Then you have games like Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever 2, and sadly not too many others, that require a bit more brain-work, requiring you to upgrade your weapon skills with points you collect from exploring and performing in-game objectives, etc.

You have the realistic shooters like Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, which is the only one I can name, since it's the only one I've played - I was put off as it's too realistic, i.e. too hard. It's so realistic that, for example, when you see an explosion in the distance, the sound comes later since (as in real life) in the game sound travels much slower than light. You can drive or pilot almost any vehicle, you can apparently lose the game but your side (you play a soldier in the army, in a war zone) can still win, and it's an incredible game. I've tried it several times over the years, and even though it looks rubbish (even when it came out, it looked rubbish, presumably so the majority of the PC's time could be spent calculatin all of the in-game physics, all of the enemy and friendly soldier's actions, etc) it really is an amazing achievement. And lots of dedicated fans have created playable levels and battles that you can download for free and play. But to me it's too hard to be fun, I mean, in the first mission, you have to get to a car in a small village, and drive to a given locations. Sounds easy, but the village has various snipers positioned to look for intruders, and so you have to crawl through bushes, around corners, etc, stay as much out of sight as possible, and constantly search for snipers to either avoid or kill them - though if you can do kill a sniper then you must be careful not to give away your position. And since this is such a realistic game, one sniper bullet to your head and it's game over, even though you've no idea where the sniper was.

I've not played any other Operation Flashpoint games, so I don't know if they've been dumbed down like most other game series, nor have I tried the Arma games (the sort of successors to the Flashpoint games).

Then you have the games that are claimed to be realistic, but are nothing of the sort, such as the Call of Duty games. I don't like the CoD games, but that's nothing to do with their false realism claims (it's not realistic to be able to heal any injury just by hiding behind a wall and waiting a few seconds, it's not realistic to be able to swim when carrying two real life military rifles and a lot of ammunition, it's not realistic to be able to aim when running, it's not realistic to be able run backwards down a staircase, etc). I just don't find the Call of Duty games to be enjoyable.

Anyway, if you want a PC FPS that's simple, I'd say start with Doom, as it's pretty basic but very, very good. Then play Doom 2, Quake (I don't like it, but lots of people do), Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal, etc, and see what you like.

If you want something a bit more advanced, and one where the story is important, try Half-Life, No One lives Forever, or the utterly fantastic Deus Ex. If you try Deus Ex (the first one, from 2001, not the two sequels), then stick with it, it's difficult at first, since you have almost no weapon skills, and don't yet know the game's mechanics. It's well worth persevering, though, as many people consider it to be the best PC game of all time.

Basically, there's lots of great PC FPSs, if you like the genre then you're set for many years of fun!

Reply 6 of 13, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forgot to say, if you don't want to kill things, then the Thief games are great. The thing is, these games aren't anti-killing for any moral reasons, it's part of the games' mechanics, in that you're not tough, so you mostly have to use stealth and brainpower to avoid enemies rather than engaging them in a fight that you'll likely lose. I know it doesn't sound like much, but the games really do make you feel tense, when you're hiding in a dark corner of a castle/warehouse/jail/etc, and the guards are suspicious and searching for you close by. You play a thief, who breaks into places to steal for his own selfish benefit, but get dragged into events that lead to you (not too happily) playing the hero and saving people.

The first two Thief games are incredible (even today, lots of fans still replay them, and make and play third party missions for the game). Thief 3 (Deadly Shadows) is still very good, but not as good as 1 and 2, and it has probably the scariest level I've ever seen in any game, The Cradle (an abandoned lunatic asylum turned orphanage, and it always appears in lists of the scariest games, even though the rest of the game, and the earlier two Thief games, aren't horror themed).

Beware though, two or three years back a reboot game was released, called Thief, which is massively inferior to the original three in every way other than graphically. Play Thief 1, 2, and 3, but avoid the reboot.

Reply 7 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was specifically asked for dark corridors with good graphics for his 1st-gen P3, not the complete history of fps games. Thief 3 and the reboot are also irrelevant for such a system. Also NOLF2, Halo1/2, and Opflash will be very unplayable on a p3 450. Halo 2 can't even run on WinXP let alone 98se.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 13, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How come noone mentioned Alien Trilogy so far? While graphically inferior to many other of the mentioned games, it still is a dark and very atmospheric FPS. The same goes for Terminator: Future Shock, which has more of an open world feeling, though.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 12 of 13, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

soldier of fortune, AvP2, system shock 2 or Half Life 1/2 (they hunger, HL1 mod, is really great) would be a good start IMHO.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 13 of 13, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spooky? Clive Barkers Undying or System Shock 2. Just FYI the GOG version of SS2 is all updated and barely compatible with old systems, but you should be fine with what ever version of Undying you try. I ordered an original SS2 off ebay because I couldn't get an original version online. Quake 1 is pretty scary at times, especially when you land in the sewers where all the zombies come to get you 😀