VOGONS

First post, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

edit: Later in this thread I have the necessary files attached. I get about 100MB/s in ATTO Benchmark at 2MB sizes and higher. K6-2+ 600 Mhz.

original message:

I have an old SS7 machine that I put a SIl3512 card in. Linux likes it. Even DOS likes it.

Win98 only kind-of likes it. It sees the DOS BIOS extension (int 13) and goes into MS-DOS compatibility mode filesystem. Read speeds are fine! The built-in DOS BIOS driver lets Windows 98 read at over 30 MB/sec. (I know the theoretical max is 60 MB/sec, but UDMA never worked on this machine properly, and 30 MB is fast for me on this particular computer.)

Writing sucks bad: Write speed are 3-4 MB a second, and the mouse freezes when writing: Probably something about going into compatibility mode. ( I don't know WHY there is a such a difference between read and write speed, since read must also drop down into DOS; maybe when writing it does an extra step like flush some hardware buffer or something.)

I have the Syba version of the card, but on their site, the Syba download (Which clains to be WIN98) doesn't actually have a $Chicago$ Driver in the inf file, just NT/2000/XP/7. Windows 98 recognizes the INF, and uses it to give a name to the controller (Instead of the question mark icon, it says it a scsi controller, assigns interrupt and IO space, but then also says 'no driver files are needed or installed'),and it still insists the 'D' drive is in DOS compatibility mode. The card is a RAID card, but there's only 1 disk: Maybe this driver just enables the softraid feature I'm not using.

When I find the older 3112 drivers, they have the vxd file for win98. That is what I want for the 3512. I found links to files that 'work great' on win98 on a couple forums (Even one on this one!), but the direct link to Silicon Image is broken. Lattice took them over, and their 'Silicon Image file archive' seems very incomplete: There's no 3512 files I can find at all.

Any help would be appreciated:

- Locate correct 3512 drivers and BIOS image for WIn98 usage

OR

- How to improve WRITE performance on MS-DOS compatibility mode to match the already fast READ performance in compatibility mode.

Thanks!

Not all is lost: I can still boot on my CF card, and keep game data directories on the SATA drive. Savegame files aren't that big; its mostly a read-only drive.

Last edited by carangil on 2016-04-21, 03:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 36, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Drivers: https://web.archive.org/web/20120502172712/ht … px?pid=29&cat=3
BIOS: https://web.archive.org/web/20101002122201/ht … 9&cat=15&ctid=2&

You need to flash to IDE mode if it's going to work properly in Windows 98 (atleast that is how 3112 works)

What is a shame is that archive doesnt have it all properly indexed, so it seems a great driver archive just got lost. I highly doubt Lettuce gives a fuck about Silicon Image now,

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 36, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks: These are labeled SiI 0680/0680A. Sure it will work with a Sil 3512?

The wayback version of siliconimage.com/support assign the Sil 2512 an ID of '29' in the drop box. Tweek the URL you gave me and I got the 3512 drivers!:

I found https://web.archive.org/web/20120502172712/ht … px?pid=29&cat=3

I will try these tonight! I tested the download links, and they seem good, so we will see what happens!.

Reply 4 of 36, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! I will report back. Archive.org has saved my bacon many times. Unfortunately some sites were jerks and robots.txt'ed themselves out of history.

Reply 5 of 36, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please update this thread with your findings and maybe attached the files that worked for you! These sort of questions pop up all the time 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 36, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The UPDFLASG utility said 'FAILED RETRY Y/N' , but the computer was frozen, so I couldn't attempt again. When rebooting, where the option rom would usually run the computer hangs. I can't find an option to disable the option Rom on this bios.

Put the card in my socket AM3 computer. Blocks the BIOS completely, again can't find a way to skip the option rom.

Put card in my socket 939 computer. That PC already has a PCIE sata card. The PCIE Rom runs, and the broken PCI card is skipped. Windows XP boots. I suppose I should thank the lazy programmer that only executes 1 option rom! Win xp finds a new PCI disk controller it never saw before. The windows version of the flash utility claims it can't find the controller, no doubt it is probably trying to look for the now-bricked Rom image.

I will attempt to use linux flashrom to program the card. It lists the sil3512 as a valid programmer, so maybe it can recover the chip (assuming the chip doesn't need the Rom itself to operate: I hope the Rom just has 'instructions' for the PC, but all the pci bus stuff is baked in hardware)

Reply 7 of 36, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this working now.

This card: http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=507

This IDE BIOS: 4.3.70

This Driver: 1.3.61 SWD-003x12-00W-1361

Use the DOS flash utility off a fresh freedos boot cd/iso

My system is k6-2+ 600 Mhz, 100Mhz FSB. I max out at about 100 MB/s with the above combination

This benchmark:

bench.png
Filename
bench.png
File size
16.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Attachments

• Filename
    SWD-003x12-00W-1361.zip
    File size
    122.51 KiB
    Downloads
    509 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    BIO-003512-100-4370.zip
    File size
    25.54 KiB
    Downloads
    398 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    UPDFLASH.EXE
    File size
    77.64 KiB
    Downloads
    450 downloads
    File comment
    run in real dos
    File license

Reply 8 of 36, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! Look at that performance, that's incredible.

Will have to try this out for sure 😀

Reply 9 of 36, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I tried updflash on this pc, it froze and bricked the card. I had to use a different PC to flash it, then the card was working in the k6-2 again. Don't know what happened.

I had problems with trying to use flashrom in linux. Flashrom in DOS seems to work too.

Reply 10 of 36, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found my PCI controller. Same chip, but slightly different layout and some jumpers:

1280153151519_hz-cnmyalibaba-web1_34183.jpg
Got a SS7 motherboard on my test bench, I might check it out tomorrow.

I take it you just install Windows 98 as usual, and once installed, install the SATA driver?

With SS7 boards I always found that the PCI slot matters. For example Sound Blaster would often clash with network card. The very last PCI slot would always work well for me though.

Reply 11 of 36, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok so I am trying to flash the BIOS.

UPDFLASH does run, but the BIOS flash fails. It doesn't lock up, just won't flash.

I got flashrom, could you please tell me how to use it? The manual page on the site doesn't seem to work. The BIOS chip on my card is a sst39vf512.

I think I just need to tell it the correct programmer type.

EDIT: Ok I think I got the right command, but it seems the BIOS chip on my card isn't compatible. What chip is on yours?

GtVjmr1.png

Reply 12 of 36, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Ok so I am trying to flash the BIOS. […]
Show full quote

Ok so I am trying to flash the BIOS.

UPDFLASH does run, but the BIOS flash fails. It doesn't lock up, just won't flash.

I got flashrom, could you please tell me how to use it? The manual page on the site doesn't seem to work. The BIOS chip on my card is a sst39vf512.

I think I just need to tell it the correct programmer type.

EDIT: Ok I think I got the right command, but it seems the BIOS chip on my card isn't compatible. What chip is on yours?

GtVjmr1.png

I have had several of these cards, all of the ones from china had fake bios chips and weren't writable at all (some didnt even have all of the pins soldered to the PCB) what I had to do was take my motherboards bios use a Editor and injecting the Sata Bios as a PCI Option Rom , some of the bioses didnt have enough space and I had to remove the IDE support entirely ...

Reply 13 of 36, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As you can see only two pins on each side was soldered down and the traces goes to empty pads meant for resistors.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 36, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, fascinating stuff.

I keep coming back to these PCI SATA controllers, but never work out for me 😵

Went back to my SATA to IDE adapter, they always work 😀

Reply 15 of 36, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The sata PCI cards actually work really great when you get them working , a few of the better cards can be reflashed , its just the cheap ones that can't 😀

But it works 100% if you add the BIOS as a pci-option ROM , if you want to I can try embed one for you so you can test it?

Reply 17 of 36, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I didn't respond to this thread earlier. You figured out the right parameters on your own. But, yeah I don't think you'll be able to flash that rom. The card I linked I got off Newegg for $15.

I did not install win98 fresh, but I am considering it. I just replaced my 'D' drive with the sata ssd. I'm still booting off the CF card. I did format a partition with format /s, and it will boot off the drive if I have to. Well, at least with the RAID bios. I haven't tried booting since reflashing to IDE, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. (Though, lots of things things fail for no reason on stuff this old and wonky)

I think booting off CF will be my configuratuon. I can swap CF cards quite easily, and the whole real point of the sata ssd was 1) to see if it would work and 2) no more spinning PATA drives to fail. Swap CF will let me boot different OS or configuration ( try a video card swap, etc) without messing with the fragile win98 driver mess. I MOVED my USB card to another slot, and now it can't find the driver. I have to dig up my old installer file now.

Reply 18 of 36, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started having boot freezes at the time the SATA BIOS would come up. Maybe there's a slight incompatibility. I moved the cards around a bit to mess with layout in the case. But I can't get it back to working unless I don't have a drive plugged into the SATA card. I think the 'hook' it puts in to the system to pretend to have a DOS drive is causing grief.

So I erased my flash bios. No BIOS extensions. I'm booting off CF anyway. Once Windows is up, it sees the card, and it still works. Problem solved. And I don't have that extra 2 second delay either.

Reply 19 of 36, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am still tring to get these cards working stable on the SS7 K62 system. I've both 3112 and 3512 cards, both 'high quality' flashable bios one and in both case I can't get to use a sata cd rom to boot cd and that's one thing probably cause they weren't mean for a cd drive or maybe is the vp3 board too much old for this. But the main problem for me is that if I clone a fresh installation from an ide disk to a ssd one and then boot it, it works in win9x/me until some reboots when something get probably wrong on the data saved and it hang during boot (logo) or some errors. I tried latest bios and all but same thing.