VOGONS

Reply 80 of 141, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a game that apparently has issues with faster CPUs. It's Thor's Hammer Trilogy by Escape Programming. (http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Thor%27s_Hammer.html) I've been planning to post this for quite a while, but I'm not sure whether I could describe it accurately enough to know what the real cause of the issue was...

The problem is, that the movement speed of the player and the doors become slower when the CPU clock is too high (actors such as enemies, however, behave normally), despite the ingame movement appears smoother.

On an old Pentium 100 machine I once had, the ingame movement looked rough, but at normal speed. The game is still playable at PIII/500MHz (Katmai), with a smooth and barely acceptable movement speed. At higher CPU speed (starting from 600MHz) the player and doors move too slow to be considered acceptable. At over 1GHz it takes forever to walk to a ladder or turn 180 degrees, and a door would take up to 10-20 seconds to be fully opened, while normally it shouldn't take that long. However, as enemies appear to move at normal speed regardless, making it difficult to turn around and target and enemy when playing at such environment.

However, the game's system requirement isn't too low, as I had to set around 20000-30000 cycles in DOSBox to make it playable just like that on my old Pentium 100 machine.

EDIT 2: After a few further tests on my CUV4X-based system with a PIII-866 CPU, so far the game feels acceptable at up to 566 MHz. Slowdown tools don't seem to work well against it as it has something to do with the CPU clock speed alone.

Good news is that the CUV4X can set the FSB down to 66MHz which means a 50% reduction for 133MHz CPUs, bringing the clock speed down to the safe zone (<600MHz) in the process. However, this is only a temporary compromise as I have to reboot to BIOS whenever I want to change the clock speed yet this is the only game that needs me to do such.

I tried a VIA C3 1.2AGHz (Nehemiah) on the CUV4X for a short while as well. By setting its multiplier to 4 (533MHz) through SetMul, the game is once again playable, and it can be done without having to change anything in BIOS thus no need to reboot. Unfortunately the board cannot detect and initialize its internal cache properly, making it extremely sluggish outside DOS... and yeah, Intel doesn't have such feature on desktop P3s that can help doing so without rebooting the whole system.

The problem persists on the updated freeware release (1.77) as well.

EDIT 3: As tested, slowdown tools won't work well with it, as while some indeed improve the ingame movement, they slow everything down (such as intro and episode selection which don't need to be slowed).

Last edited by LSS10999 on 2016-03-20, 11:45. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 81 of 141, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elfuego wrote:

Other that that, Skyroads also required a slower computer otherwise the game is too fast.

I firmly believe this to be untrue. I have played a lot of Skyroads (one of my favorite games), and haven't seen a single case of it running too fast. Have seen plenty evidence to the contrary. Just recently I tried it out on a Core i7 CPU @2.8GHz and it ran perfectly.

I realize I am replying to an old post and bumping an old thread, but this also appears in the wiki, and I think it should be addressed.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 84 of 141, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With "Quarantine" I had to drop my PIII 866 to 486 33MHz levels with Bret Johnson's SLOWDOWN utility.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/quarantine
http://bretjohnson.us/

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 85 of 141, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I applied for a wiki account 2 days ago so I could contribute to:
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_C … sensitive_games

but have not gotten approval yet.

For now I will just leave my info here for someone else to update the wiki with.

Knights of the Sky (1990)--runs too fast--recommended 386SX-20. When I disable L1 on my P200MMX, it runs at about Am386DX-25 and is still a little too fast, hence my estimate of 386SX-20.

Ultima VI (1990), Savage Empire (1990), Martian Dreams (1991)--runs too fast--recommended any 386. I've seen this game run acceptably on a fast 286, but if you can get into any 386 range by disabling L1, you should be fine.

Ultima VII Part 1: The Black Gate (1992)--runs too fast--recommended 486DX-33. Runs fine at any 486 speed less than 40Mhz. According to Great Heirophant's blog, it is too fast on a 486DX2-66 and ideal on a 486DX-33. I've run it at 486SX-25 speeds and it seems fine.

Ultima Underworld 1 (1992)--player movement too fast--recommended 486SX-25. Game is playable at fast Pentium speeds, but movement is a bit frenetic. Feels perfect when I run at 486SX-25 speeds. I estimate that it would feel good at up to about Pentium 75 speeds?

Ultima Underworld 2 (1993)--player movement too fast--recommended 486DX-33. Game is playable at fast Pentium speeds, but movement is a bit frenetic. Feels a bit too slow at 486SX-25 speeds, but I estimate a sweet spot between 486DX-33 and Pentium 75.

Sid Meier's Colonization (1994)--at Pentium 200 speeds the game will crash with an Integer Divide by Zero error--recommended Pentium 166 or slower. No Divide by Zero error at Pentium speeds of 166 and lower.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 86 of 141, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer - Red Alert
Command and Conquer - Tiberian Sun
Command and Conquer - Red Alert 2
SimCity 2000

These games if set to the fastest speed races out of control an idea is SC2000 when set to African Swallow I will go from the year 1900 to the year 19000 in about 10 minutes

Reply 87 of 141, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can add Star Wars Shadows of the Empire to the list as well. This game is still playable (although on newer hardware, a wrapper like dgVoodoo 2 is a must for the game to even run), but runs too fast if its framerate exceeds 30FPS (it's very easy to get above 30FPS in this game), resulting in numerous audio glitches and the aforementioned accelerated gameplay. To correct this, at least on newer versions of Windows, you need to set a framerate limiter with things like the built-in framerate limiter in AMD's Radeon Crimson software if you have a new AMD card or via RivaTuner Statistics Server (usually bundled with MSI Afterburner) to cap the game's framerate (SHADOWS.EXE executable) to 30FPS. It's not as smooth, but it will run at the proper speed.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 88 of 141, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Yeah sorry about that, in future just PM/Email me and I will approve straight away. I don't get an email when someone signs up, should look into that!

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 89 of 141, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mwdmeyer wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Yeah sorry about that, in future just PM/Email me and I will approve straight away. I don't get an email when someone signs up, should look into that!

No worries. I got it this morning and have updated the Wiki. 😀

Reply 90 of 141, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unreal Tournament is discussed here:

https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/ut-go … peed-up.182599/

I just use the fix from:

http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/

and it's worked on every machine I've tried.

Reply 91 of 141, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This happens a lot for me with old games with CGA graphics, my experience was with just a game which made it impossible to play at all: Gapper.
Although the only way I can play it is either on DOSBox or on my 386 Epson which has a nice, cool "speed" button that makes the CPU work slower or something similar.

Recently I had an issue on Windows 9 with the ATI X300 graphics card, I tried Montezuma's Return and Quake 1 and they were sped up, Montezuma was unplayable, Quake a bit more playable, but still quite sped up…

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 92 of 141, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went through all the posts since the last time the wiki was updated and added the games that gave enough info to do the wiki page justice. If you posted something here recently, check it out and reply here if I need to adjust anything. Thanks.

Reply 93 of 141, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

These games if set to the fastest speed races out of control

That's by design. The game's stock speed is certainly not "fastest" and shouldn't really count as a speed-sensitive game problem.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 94 of 141, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Red Baron to the wiki. Although the game doesn't appear to be unplayably fast at Pentium speeds, I did notice that my joystick will NOT detect unless I use setmul to drop to 486 speeds. I put 486 33 as optimal CPU since that was the fastest CPU available in 1990 when this game was released.

edit: added Might and Magic III

edit: added Aces of the Pacific

edit: added Alone in the Dark

edit: added Quest for Glory III

Reply 95 of 141, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Atrox is CPU-bound, a very late game for it, too. It's a South Korean StarCraft clone from 2001 but it's in English (or at least available in English).

It runs fine on a modern OS with Mo'Slo 4BIZ (http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/), but otherwise you need just the right speed of system..

Reply 96 of 141, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added One Must Fall 2097 and updated Jazz Jackrabbit (thanks to gdjacobs and kithylin).

Reply 97 of 141, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game speed for OMF can be slowed down in the menu, but navigating the menu still feels weird without cache tricks. Definitely intended for the 486.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 98 of 141, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

The game speed for OMF can be slowed down in the menu, but navigating the menu still feels weird without cache tricks. Definitely intended for the 486.

While changing cpus around, I had time to fine-tune OMF. Even at 486DX2-80 speeds, the demo plays through a little too fast. So I put 486-66 for max. suitable cpu.

Reply 99 of 141, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone got a working patch for jazz 1's runtime error ?
I tried to tppatch it, but tppatch says that it isn't a perl or whatever language executable…

By the way, I found out that a lot of games that came with 5/1/4 floppies are too fast even on my 486SX2.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard