VOGONS

First post, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to revive a core2duo machine to be my XP gaming powerhouse what's the fastest XP-compatible graphics Card?
Specs:
MoBo: Intel dg31pr (Intel G31 chipset)
CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.1Ghz (Dunno which one)
GFX: Geforce 9400gt 512mb
RAM: 2GB ddr2
Storage: 40GB IDE Drive
PSU: 500W Rainbow ATX power supply

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.

Reply 1 of 16, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im 99% sure that there are a bunch of recent threads on this subject. But from what I understand a Geforce 480 was popular, a Geforce 8800G is a good option or a 9800, Geforce 280, there are alot of options.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 16, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure of the fastest, but I run a GTX 460, it totally walked anything XP wanted to do with it and is still holding its own pretty well under Windows 7 even in new titles. Therefore you can probably cut the cost a little.

I never liked the 8000 series personally and found them all problematic, the 9000 series fixed that.

I think ATI supported XP for a long time, so cards like the 5770 probably worked under that OS and were fairly fast, along with the 58xx and 59xx I think. I don't know much about their line-up though as they had compatibility issues with some software I run that have never been fixed, not something you're likely to run into as this was a fairly specific usage case.

So yeah, once you get to the middle of the GTX 400 series it seems like you're topping out DX9 stuff anyway, it is even possible later cards won't be as fast as the hardware and drivers could be better optimized for DX10/11/12 which you wouldn't be running under XP anyway. Be warned, these things drink quite a lot of power.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3 of 16, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A load of XP related topics lately eh?

There is a bunch of choices. Nvidia 285 or a 460 like HighTreason says. Those usually work great of course. Overpowering anything from the late dx8 and 9 era, and perform great as well in the DX10 era. Only thing you may run into a few issues with a few games from the earlier dx9 era, but nothing a mod or a fix couldn't help with.

Also you might want to make that Core 2 Duo closer to 3ghz. 2.1 wont cut it for a lot of the games in that era.

Reply 4 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bunch of other threads on this, please use the search functionality.

To answer the topic, Geforce GTX 780 TI is the fastest WinXP supported card, but it's completely overpowered for DX9 games. Even a GTX 480 runs games like Batman Arkham Asylum with full PhysX mode and everything else set to max gives you 60 fps. But if you want a dual boot X58 system (or equiviliant), the 780ti also gives excellent performance newer DX10, 11 and 12 games in Win7/10.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 16, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is a radeon 5970 good? If not, any recommendation on the 6xxx and 7xxx series. Wow, a 980Ti is too overkill

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.

Reply 7 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

No official support, requires driver modding, but yeah, seems to work according to that link.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 16, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im sure a Radeon 5970 would be fine. Though AMD usually gives me troubles when playing older games so i don't know how good that will go.

I use a 7900 GT(Could also use a 7900 GTX) in my Windows XP computer with a P4 3ghz. Great compatibly and enough power for 60+ framerate in games with 1024x768 res. But any game around 2006/7 in any resolution above the 720p range will go under 60fps quickly. If you are looking for overpowering those XP era games then go with the 5970 or a Nvidia 285/460.

Reply 9 of 16, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Frame rating showed from inception that crossfire has never worked, runt frames, possibly sorta fixed, hit and miss?, for 7xxx and later cards, but pre 7xxx.. been awhile since I've looked up news about it. Looking over past reviews, seems to me a 770gtx/7970/280x/ocd7950 is a good match for an xp setup meant for gaming up to 09, keeping minimum frame rate high. My price target would be $100-150 from deals seen on craigslist, which, though low compared to what the market is usually trying to get for them, it's appropriate when one can get a 290/290x for $200/250.

Last edited by awgamer on 2016-05-03, 07:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 16, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is a 7770 or 7790 good? Also, for the CPU I may be using a e8600. Is there even a list of compatible xp cards for both and and nvidia?

Reply 11 of 16, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
comteck123 wrote:

Is a 7770 or 7790 good? Also, for the CPU I may be using a e8600. Is there even a list of compatible xp cards for both and and nvidia?

It depends on where you partition your xp range, stop at introduction of vista or at introduction of 7, if your xp rig is just for 01-06(vista,) perhaps, but if 01-09(7,) I'd go for stronger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_gra … rocessing_units
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_ … rocessing_units

Reply 12 of 16, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Far Cry 3 can be played on High settings at 720p with a strong dual core and a HD7750 in my experience, as a point of reference.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 14 of 16, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
awgamer wrote:

No official support, requires driver modding, but yeah, seems to work according to that link.

Officially nvidia has XP drivers up to the GTX 960.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Which is why it's trivial to mod them for the 980ti.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread … P-%28x86-x64%29

Reply 16 of 16, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Allows you to dual/multi boot &/or vm with passthrough to handle xp 7 10 with one system. vm passthrough does up to 98% of native performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI which allows for having linux as your host system and just vm for windows yet still get top end performance.