VOGONS

Reply 3620 of 27186, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
Alright,today i start making my 754 A64 build... on this freaky mobo called "G0AL3+" […]
Show full quote

Alright,today i start making my 754 A64 build... on this freaky mobo called "G0AL3+"

vgL9Dfdl.jpg b7Fc1LZl.jpg

That is an ECS motherboard based on some SiS chipset, Maplin used to sell them as part of a bundle and I haven't seen them elsewhere (Though they must exist). Model was GS7610 Ultra so far as I remember.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3622 of 27186, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Re-capped my broken PAS Plus, no improvement and now I look closely, the software is having problems getting it to run properly when certain conditions are met. In short, I think the card is dead and I am very upset.

So far as I can tell, all the components I can do anything about are fine (though the original caps were indeed leaky) so it is either some SMD I will never track down and can't work on anyway or one of the ASICs. Bummer.

As the power transistors on my PAS16 were blown when I got it and the ones on the Plus appear to work, does the general population around here think it would be worth transplanting the caps and transistors to that card? Or is there some issue here that I have missed or that the PAS cards are prone to? If it were the transistors on this card too you'd think one side would go out before the other wouldn't it?

I am not forking out the eBay prices for another one and I refuse to run such a great machine on a shitty Creative card, if it comes to it I'll just run this one with no sound. Man, I'm so upset that I'm actually mad and want to start punching things.... Yeah, that's how I work, probably isn't a good thing but whatever.

Reply 3623 of 27186, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now the file is up on Vogons drivers. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3624 of 27186, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
Alright,today i start making my 754 A64 build... on this freaky mobo called "G0AL3+" […]
Show full quote

Alright,today i start making my 754 A64 build... on this freaky mobo called "G0AL3+"

vgL9Dfdl.jpg b7Fc1LZl.jpg

Oh hey, it's a close relative of the ECS board used in my S754 build! Same chipset (SiS 761GX), very similar layout, and everything! That reminds me, I decided to buy some more RAM (2GB DDR400 in total) for that system since all the 1GB DDR400 RAM sticks I have seem to range from flaky to outright dead, and Windows 7 64-bit kinda struggles on only 1GB. Another thing, the RAM that's in the system right now is actually two 512MB DDR400 ECC sticks that came out an HP server I found over at the dump one day - they just happened to work with that board, so I decided to leave them in for the time being.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3625 of 27186, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Re-capped my broken PAS Plus, no improvement and now I look closely, the software is having problems getting it to run properly when certain conditions are met. In short, I think the card is dead and I am very upset.
... Man, I'm so upset that I'm actually mad and want to start punching things.... Yeah, that's how I work, probably isn't a good thing but whatever.

I know the feeling... I always try and channel my energy into something useful. I washed my car when I accidentaly dropped one of my nice AT cases down the stairs :'(

Last edited by Cyrix200+ on 2016-05-06, 19:09. Edited 1 time in total.

1982 to 2001

Reply 3626 of 27186, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually I try to channel this energy into my cartoon, music or my book. Problem is other things are broken right now which prevent such things and I was already rather peeved by the charger for my camcorder breaking.

As a result I spent a good portion of the day cussing the world out for the slightest thing and ended up feeling very tired by the end of it, tired enough that I am now going to sleep. Perhaps things will improve tomorrow.

Reply 3627 of 27186, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

Usually I try to channel this energy into my cartoon, music or my book. Problem is other things are broken right now which prevent such things and I was already rather peeved by the charger for my camcorder breaking.

As a result I spent a good portion of the day cussing the world out for the slightest thing and ended up feeling very tired by the end of it, tired enough that I am now going to sleep. Perhaps things will improve tomorrow.

I know how that feels all to often and it doesn't take much to make things salty for days even weeks. 😢
I still look back at all the nice stuff that I lost because of some fucked up wack job decided that it was ok to burn my place down, two days later he set the woods on fire nearly killing some of his own family.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3628 of 27186, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Messing around with software choices on my P166. So far I have setteled on Os2-Warp 3.0 because I like it.
My Warp is a Danish version, and I have the Bonus pack as well. It's a red spine, perfect for non-NIC machines.
Naturally, on a machine from that time and era, I need to have MS-Dos-6.22 on it too.
Perhaps I will load install eighter Win95, NT 4.0 or NT 3.51 on this too. Yes.... Need Windows 3.11 as well.

Reply 3629 of 27186, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should have five 20GB drives, all split into multiple partitions, with boot menus so you can boot into 21 different operating systems for every possible use of the machine! 🤣
But seriously, that would be cool. Maybe I'll do that with my P166 laptop (it has a way overkill 40GB drive).

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3630 of 27186, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Untill I find a decent +8gb driver for Warp version 3.0, it's not going to happen.
I have found one, called "Danis...(something)" and it is working like a charm on Warp version 4.0
Must be aware that IDE drives can not hold more than 4 primaery partitions too.
And Warp 3.0 boot manager are being treated as a primaery, even though it's not really a primaery.

So.... Multi-multi-multi OS's on a machine, I need to tinker around with Extended Fdisk instead.
Even with this, Warp 3.0 does not like +8gb drives, and I really want it running again.
3.0 was and is to date, the Os/2 that I think has the most look n' feel.

Reply 3631 of 27186, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spent a good part of the last evening trying to get DOS to recognise a CF card inside a PCMCIA slot with no success.

This morning I went dumpster diving.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3632 of 27186, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
I wanted to mention that I have a AMD socket 754 motherboard in the other room that.. the seller said "Onboard audio no work" so […]
Show full quote

I wanted to mention that I have a AMD socket 754 motherboard in the other room that.. the seller said "Onboard audio no work" so he listed it cheap @ $18. But what I found out is just have to install two jumpers for the front-panel audio connector. And unless those jumpers are installed, no sound will be output on the rear I/O audio connector for onboard audio. Once I installed the jumpers and booted up, the rear audio jacks worked and onboard audio indeed worked great. So.. here's a little info for you.

*jumpers.gif*

In this diagram, Figure(1) shows the front panel audio header with no jumpers, some newer motherboards (later than 754) work on rear panel connectors with this empty. But my 754 board does not.

If you see Figure(2) in the above diagram, (I know it says in this diagram "remove jumper" but we'll actually be doing the opposite and installing jumpers) this is how jumpers needed to be installed for rear audio jacks to work, at least for my system.

If your 754 system's front panel audio jack is empty of jumpers, try putting two on like this and see if it makes onboard audio work for you.

Good point,i almost forgot about that jumpers,will try it.

HighTreason wrote:

That is an ECS motherboard based on some SiS chipset, Maplin used to sell them as part of a bundle and I haven't seen them elsewhere (Though they must exist). Model was GS7610 Ultra so far as I remember.

From what i found in the "open spaces of internets" mine is some kind OEM version,probably part of bundle,bios flashed with pic of local retailer,nothing seems cutted at all even OC part.

Sutekh94 wrote:

Oh hey, it's a close relative of the ECS board used in my S754 build! Same chipset (SiS 761GX), very similar layout, and everything! That reminds me, I decided to buy some more RAM (2GB DDR400 in total) for that system since all the 1GB DDR400 RAM sticks I have seem to range from flaky to outright dead, and Windows 7 64-bit kinda struggles on only 1GB. Another thing, the RAM that's in the system right now is actually two 512MB DDR400 ECC sticks that came out an HP server I found over at the dump one day - they just happened to work with that board, so I decided to leave them in for the time being.

Looks almost same as your,i'm currently using it with A64 3000+ ClawHammer,instead of A64 3200+ Venice that originally came with(it has 2 missing legs and stuck at memory test according to post card) also with pair of 1gb Hynix sticks,just for interest gonna try 2gb ecc pair,but i for sure know it doesnt like mine corsair XMS.

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 3633 of 27186, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Spent a good part of the last evening trying to get DOS to recognise a CF card inside a PCMCIA slot with no success.

This morning I went dumpster diving.

Did you try the tsr I linked to a few times in the forum?
http://www.tssc.de/site/products/enablers/ata … ab/default.aspx

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 3634 of 27186, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Have been experimenting with XTIDE too. Made a socket and FlashROM that let me switch between XT and AT mode. This should allow me to boot on most ISA mainboards for test purposes. Working fine so far.

Looks like I was excited too early - only 3 of 7 different mainboards (286, 386, 486) work in AT mode. The others get hard stuck [ctrl+alt+del not working] in XTIDE just before it should print 'Booting drive C'. They all work in XT mode though, and the system BIOS can boot from the AT controller (wrong geometry though). Well, maybe it's because I'm using 2.0 beta.

1+1=10

Reply 3635 of 27186, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Have been experimenting with XTIDE too. Made a socket and FlashROM that let me switch between XT and AT mode. This should allow me to boot on most ISA mainboards for test purposes. Working fine so far.

Looks like I was excited too early - only 3 of 7 different mainboards (286, 386, 486) work in AT mode. The others get hard stuck [ctrl+alt+del not working] in XTIDE just before it should print 'Booting drive C'. They all work in XT mode though, and the system BIOS can boot from the AT controller (wrong geometry though). Well, maybe it's because I'm using 2.0 beta.

I've been experimenting with using a PROMISE EIDE MAX bios on my LAN card with a 386 system that freezes on BOOT with the XTIDE bios. Only the PROMISE EIDE works, AND...the Promise EIDE BIOS is a lot faster with disk transfers!

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 3636 of 27186, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

trying to get my new 15K RPM SCSI drive working properly, unfortunately the 80->68 pin converter I got doesn't seem to work , with some cables/adapters , it doesn't recognise the drive at all, with others it defaults to a very low speed.

either the converter is faulty or Im missing something.

Reply 3637 of 27186, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went to go vote.. Came back to find an electrical burn type smoke smell. Noticed server was off..

PSU blown, PSU replaced. Cup of tea for self congratulation. Not unhappy because the first random replacement PSU that I took from a box of spares is just as nice and quiet as the first.

😊

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 3639 of 27186, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried desperately to figure out what is wrong with my PAS, I recorded some of my observations; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBNBo2Anrs

Be warned, the video gets loud in places. I also found that if I plug a cable into the MIC socket and touch it, the pulsing gets faster. Putting a multimeter across it causes it to become much faster. It's a weird pulse because it doesn't show up as expected. I thought it would look kind of like ^-^-^-^- on the timeline but instead it looks like ^-v-^-v- as in, it dips into negative values every other peak.

Any ideas? Is it worth making a thread on it? I won't be too upset if I have to hack away the circuitry for that input as I don't use it. I have tried to trace it back and can find both an LM3080M and an LF347M pretty much directly connected, not sure past that point. Perhaps I could cut the power to these (as it would be fairly easy to re-connect) and see if it kills the pulse and clears the sound. It almost seems like the MIC input is interfering or even somehow feeding the output back into the amp. Removing the jumpers connected to the MIC socket do nothing for the problem, I tried.

I wasn't even doing anything bad when it broke, I was playing ROTH and fired my gun - this is incredibly loud sometimes in that game - and the sounds distorted and remained that way. I guess it pushed something just a bit too hard. I only had the volume at 50% at this time too, so I wasn't exactly being horrible to the amp or anything.

Kind of tempted to just stick it at max volume with a bass test running on a loop or something, then just wait around and see if something goes pop. I'm really running out of ideas otherwise and the Mic circuitry is tied to the power rails too closely to make it very traceable.