VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by guilly18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

... for an easier configuration for all those non-experts.

http://web.jet.es/guilly/slouc/software_petitdosbox.html

Last edited by guilly18 on 2005-01-10, 19:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

beware. you are now on the edge of becoming an opensource program yourself now.
you may have crossed it even.

The dosbox executable is technically still seperate from the frontend so I think you are on the safe side. But it's cloudy world.

I know that it's a nice feature for your users, but i'm just protecting you against the "evil" gpl virus.

You might have to consult the GPL FAQ to get a definete answer.

Last edited by Qbix on 2005-01-10, 17:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 9, by guilly18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ehm, what does that mean exactly? do I have to release the source code to the open source community (which I do not care)?. Anyhow this is rather weird since all I do is package a binary distro of DosBox inside the executable, which in Macintosh terms they behave like folders.

Anyhow, more information is welcome. Be aware that all I want to do is contribute to the DosBox "cause" in the Mac world.

Reply 4 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

as long as it's bineary only and both programs will operate without each other. There is no concern....

But if your programs becomes "too" depended on dosbox (it will not function without it) then problems arise.

I think it will be allright. Beware of the mails you might get thanking you for writing such a wonderful dos emulator 😀 (as people don't always understand what a frontend is, despite your attempts to explain it)

Reply 5 of 9, by guilly18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ouf, yes I know what you mean. I try to specify that Petit dosbox is NOT the emulator everywhere in the web and the docs, but you know...

The dependency thingy is rather interesting... I will review my source code to make sure that they can live without each.

Thanx
😊

Reply 6 of 9, by guilly18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At least as a first approach, I modified the docs to explain how to change the DOSBox version that comes with the package.

I am however quite confused about one thing. Petit dosbox is a launcher for DOSBox. It is a senseless application without DOSBox and therefore the application will give errors if the DOSBox binary is removed from the package (.app folder, if you are acquainted with Mac OS X carbon binaries). Would that mean that Petit dosbox is DOSBox dependant?.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Reply 8 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

as long as it still starts up and can do some of it's functions (obviously not launch dosbox) it should be okay.
But I'm not an expert on the matter. I just trying to "protect" you from having to change to opensource against your will.

Reply 9 of 9, by guilly18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see... well thank you. I will browse through the GPL FAQ, although I think I am "protected" by now (I would not mind that much to release my source code to the general public, but not yet).