VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hiya,

I'd like to run my retro gaming computers through a VGA to HDMI scaler but I'm not sure whats decent. I bought one that looked half decent for about $80 but it's really crappy, I can see ghosting lines scanning down the image etc.

Any suggestions that don't break the bank?

Thx

Last edited by mzry on 2016-05-22, 09:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use the Sewell Hammerhead. I've not run into any issues with it. I made a video of it quite some time ago here.

I've since upgraded my LCD to a BenQ. The old one was a Hanns-G. The BenQ seems to have issues with some resolutions, but I blame that on the monitor, not the Sewell.

I should note, the Sewell is NOT a true scaler. I think it will pixel double the lower resolutions (320x200). But anything above 640x480 it sends native, hence why my BenQ is having issues with some resolutions.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 2 of 8, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
laxdragon wrote:

I should note, the Sewell is NOT a true scaler. I think it will pixel double the lower resolutions (320x200). But anything above 640x480 it sends native, hence why my BenQ is having issues with some resolutions.

Well VGA outputs 200-line modes scan-doubled so anyway to the scaler they look like 400-line modes. But there is no way to determine from the syncs if it is 320x200 graphics mode or 720x400 text mode. Most LCDs with VGA connector just understand both as 720x400 text mode which is not optimal for 320x200 graphics.

Modern monitors may not even support 720x400 on their digital connectors any more. They may not like it because it is a 70 Hz format.

Reply 3 of 8, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Scaler … rter~VGA2HDPRO2 but probably out of your price range.

It is excellent though.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With these gadgets, it does pay to spend a bit more.

That looks like a standard converter, not a scaler. A scaler is a lot more sophisticated / complex.

I see it often, people buying a couple of cheaper gadgets, but it all adds up and you could have gotten something decent in the first place 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 8, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually just bought a DVDO Edge off ebay, apparently it's really good. Its got vga, component, composite, svideo and 7 hdmi inputs. It's gonna awesome for setting up all my stuff with excellent aspect ratio controls.

Reply 7 of 8, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What sold me on the Hammerhead was its use of USB to power itself. It is nice not having a wall wart to power it. That and it is small and does not take up a bunch of space. YMMV, but I've been very happy with it.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 8 of 8, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

It's cheaper to find a normal LCD monitor for VGA. While for games it's better and more authentic to use CRT, as there will be less lagging than caused by convertor + LCD itself, and the image should be sharper.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide