VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12220 of 52786, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good luck setting it up. I still haven't managed to make mine work properly, although I only tried it on one motherboard that was a bit limited in terms of BIOS options, and gave up after a whole day trying.

Whatever you do make sure you install it on a motherboard that allows reserving specific IRQs for legacy ISA devices.

Reply 12221 of 52786, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

Right who won the Voodoo II for 2 quid on ebay last night? Can't believe i forgot to raise my max bid!!!!

Holy hell. I thought my VII was cheap, given the usual prices... but that's just awesome!

Reply 12222 of 52786, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

Right who won the Voodoo II for 2 quid on ebay last night? Can't believe i forgot to raise my max bid!!!!

Holy hell. I thought my VII was cheap, given the usual prices... but that's just awesome!

It was one of those that went under the radar because it didn't have 3DFX or Voodoo in the title. I'm so gutted, as it had the SLI cable and I've been looking to complement my current VII for ages. Ah well, patience is a virtue.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 12223 of 52786, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

It was one of those that went under the radar because it didn't have 3DFX or Voodoo in the title. I'm so gutted, as it had the SLI cable and I've been looking to complement my current VII for ages. Ah well, patience is a virtue.

Mine came with the SLI cable and the driver disk as well, but £2 is a good price for ANY graphics card!

Reply 12224 of 52786, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Bought a bunch of random memory on 'Marktplaats', our local auction site. I was mainly interested in the cache modules. […]
Show full quote

Bought a bunch of random memory on 'Marktplaats', our local auction site. I was mainly interested in the cache modules.

Unfortunately, I got confronted with the same problem as others have recently: bad packaging 🙁

D4QKQYql.jpg

zuSnngql.jpg

Good thing it was on not so interesting memory. Could probaby solder the components back on, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble, I'm drowning in SDRAM. Might be good practice in soldering 😀

Does anybody know what the module in the middle is? The shorter one? Looks a bit like notebook memory? I haven't got a better picture at the moment.

One of those cache modules looks very similar to one that would be used in some 486 Compaqs, I could be wrong but I have ran into some in the past but they did not have the module install but just the empty slot. The one in the middle and not the two pipeline burst modules on the left.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12225 of 52786, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Won these 2 Inwin Powerman 300watt PSU's for £5 delivered off ebay! The packaged was 6kg, wouldn't be surprised if it cost more to send! They certainly have some "Heft" to them. Going to replace the rubbish 200watt PSU in my Pentium III machine.

20160527_140742_1.jpg

Reply 12226 of 52786, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Found a cheap(-ish) IBM PS/2 model 30 (8530) motherboard, with 286/10 CPU. Unfortunately it doesn't include anything else, especially not the ISA riser board. What are the odds that I'll find one of those somewhere? OTOH it has on-board MCGA video.

This is my first foray into non-PC x86 hardware. Should be fun.

The 286 version of Model 30 had full VGA on board!

I don't have first hand experience with PS/2 systems and the information on early models is scarce. However wikipedia seems to disagree - and we know wikipedia is never wrong. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12227 of 52786, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:

Also, it looks like you got a box full of trash 😢

Looks like? Turns out i did. Tested everything today - none of the cards work and i am locating drivers for the XG before i pass judgement on that - already had to replace a cap that had been ripped off. Half the motherboards work and fortunately it was the more useful ones (MVP3 + 4, Slot 1). Plus the K6-2 and the PIII is good. I've asked for a refund of some kind as they were sold as working and i got a message back saying she was at the hospital with her son. TMI if it's true.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 12228 of 52786, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:
Cyberdyne wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Found a cheap(-ish) IBM PS/2 model 30 (8530) motherboard, with 286/10 CPU. Unfortunately it doesn't include anything else, especially not the ISA riser board. What are the odds that I'll find one of those somewhere? OTOH it has on-board MCGA video.

This is my first foray into non-PC x86 hardware. Should be fun.

The 286 version of Model 30 had full VGA on board!

I don't have first hand experience with PS/2 systems and the information on early models is scarce. However wikipedia seems to disagree - and we know wikipedia is never wrong. 😀

No you where right. It's not vga, but mcga. Very close related to vga, that why a lot of vga games will work. But it's mcga graphics. I had to breakaway 1 pin in my vga cable to be able to connect it to my vga monitor.

Reply 12230 of 52786, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@HighTreason

If the Maestro 32/96 had a real OPL3, it would be simply the best card for DOS games. Its still a card far better than the AdLib Gold, although the CQM FM synthesis on the AWE is going to be more competent than what the Maestro has to offer.

Reply 12231 of 52786, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The machine I plan to install it in doesn't really use FM very often so that doesn't concern me too much. I have used cards with that Crystal chip before and did always find the FM a little bit scratchy on them and the SBPro always sounded like it was playing through a piezo-speaker.

@devius; Aye, I've heard they can be problematic, no doubt it will spit the dummy out with me because that's they way things go for me, even stuff that's meant to be easy always puts up a fight when I go near it. That's half the fun of messing with this stuff I suppose.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 12232 of 52786, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just bought a Intel-AL440LX board that has the Yamaha OPL4-ML option for $30 with free ship. Can't wait to give it a try.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12233 of 52786, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

Its still a card far better than the AdLib Gold, although the CQM FM synthesis on the AWE is going to be more competent than what the Maestro has to offer.

I must be losing brain cells at an astonishing rate. I meant AWE64 Gold.

Reply 12234 of 52786, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

IBM PS/2 Model 30 8530 8086: MCGA
IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 8530 80286: VGA

Well I will find out after I receive the motherboard, if I ever manage to make it work.

FWIW I found a ISA riser for it as well, but it costs 3x what the motherboard itself cost me. haven't pulled the trigger on this one, I first want to make sure the motherboard isn't dead.

Also, would you know where I can find some documentation on the system 8530/286? I haven't been able to find any. A hardware maintenance manual would be nice. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12235 of 52786, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got lucky at flea market:

Super 7(this time for sure) GA-5AA with bulged caps but posting good - 1.5$

fxoJyPwl.jpg M6X8Pxpl.jpg

Nintendo GameBoy DMG-1,not in good condition,but working at least,comes with 3x cartridges - 4,5$

EBxvpxul.jpg pDftRYIl.jpg IEIvEKel.jpg

And traded one of my 4gb ddr2 registered sticks for this X-Fi

ExMcSudl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 12236 of 52786, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:

Nintendo GameBoy DMG-1,not in good condition,but working at least,comes with 3x cartridges - 4,5$

Love the Gameboy.

http://www.gameboymods.co.uk/index.php?route= … ategory&path=61

Reply 12237 of 52786, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

$12 with shipping (quite expensive, but nevermind)
This Trio3D/2X is sooo great in 2D (excellent VBE 2.0 support and image quality + it's compatible with nearly all games\demos) that I'm even planning to replace my Matrox Millennium I 😀
(yep, some bugs like high gamma or improperly working 360x??? modes are still here but I'm writing a TSR to fix them)
atq8-ny3vN0.jpg

--wbcbz7

Reply 12239 of 52786, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

Got this Socket 940 board + FX53 for $25! A new build is in the works... 😀

Man, I'm still mad at AMD for what they did to socket 939/940.

I mean, they launched the pair as *the* socket(s) for the future, that would be supported with new processors for a long time... So I saved money for a while and built a rig, expecting to be able to upgrade it for a number of years... and then 6 months later they dropped it, no more new CPUs for 939/940. I was so upset. Insread of having to buy just a CPU, in order to upgrade later I had to buy CPU+motherboard+memory. Especially annoying since socket AM2 differed from 939 by just one pin. Guess they learned some tricks from Intel along the way... 487SX anyone? :p

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O