Topic actions

Reply 40 of 61, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A photo of my console collection

IMG_20160603_231537789_zpsqvfpnukq.jpg

All of them are PAL , I also used to have a Panasonic 3DO and Sega Master System (the original , which had the RGB SCART option) but Ive sold those since I almost never used them ( I think I played the 3DO once in 3 years, the Master System was the same) the only system not present is my original 80GB PS3 , but I almost never play that one either (frankly if it wasn't for MGS4 and Valkyria Chronicles, that PS3 would be on Ebay by now)

The Dreamcast is usually connected to the CRT monitor via the VGA cable , but its on display when not in use.

I would have to say my 2 favourite systems out of these are the PS1 and the Saturn ,

Reply 41 of 61, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

This looks awesome! Is it as fast or even faster than the Dreamcast drive?

faster , I think as much as the dc can process data - there are some tests on yt with halflife IIRC , after the updates both the usb-gdrom and gd-emu have the same speed AFAIK

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 42 of 61, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's actually really cool and it probably makes most games that much more fun to play. However, I don't think I can live without the trademark Dreamcast spin/read sound. It's a really soothing sound to my ears, reminds me of the late afternoons playing Jet Set Radio when I first got it 😀.

Reply 43 of 61, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

That's actually really cool and it probably makes most games that much more fun to play. However, I don't think I can live without the trademark Dreamcast spin/read sound. It's a really soothing sound to my ears, reminds me of the late afternoons playing Jet Set Radio when I first got it 😀.

When the GDROM drive fails, you'll want some way to play those games, sound or not 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 44 of 61, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This morning I am very sore. Yesterday I moved two entertainment centers with 37" and 27" CRT TVs along with four consoles from upstairs to downstairs. Moved them from the guest room to the newly dubbed Gaming Room. Some photos:

consoles.jpg
Filename
consoles.jpg
File size
254.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2600-nes.jpg
Filename
2600-nes.jpg
File size
266.13 KiB
Views
File license
2600.jpg
Filename
2600.jpg
File size
306.9 KiB
Views
File license
nes.jpg
Filename
nes.jpg
File size
278.08 KiB
Views
File license

Very modest collection, but still fun. Left entertainment center has the Wii and Dreamcast. Right entertainment center--NES and Atari 2600.

Next post--the rest of the photos.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 45 of 61, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dc-wii.jpg
Filename
dc-wii.jpg
File size
366.28 KiB
Views
File license
dc.jpg
Filename
dc.jpg
File size
331.86 KiB
Views
File license
wii.jpg
Filename
wii.jpg
File size
336.4 KiB
Views
File license

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 46 of 61, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a huge fan of retro consoles. I've never seen PC and console as mutually exclusive. I love both equally. Here is a shot of my little retro console "den".

bann.jpg

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 47 of 61, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woah! Sweet setup, man! Would love to spend a few hours (days) in there. Disco ball and everything!!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 48 of 61, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also collect console. I have a nice collection:
Atari 2600 dark vader
Atari 2600 jr small rainbow
Atari 2600 jr large rainbow
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Lynx model 1
Atari Lynx model 2
Philips Videopac G7000
Philips Videopac G7400
Philips CD-i 210
Philips CD-i 220
Philips CD-i 450
Magnavox CD-i 550
Philips CD-i 470
Intellivision
Colecovision
Vectrex
Microvision
Amstrad GX4000
Nintendo NES
Nintendo SNES
Nintendo N64
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Gameboy
Nintendo Gameboy Pocket
Nintendo Gameboy Color
Nintendo Gameboy Advance
Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP
Nintendo Gameboy Advance Micro
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS-lite
NeoGeo Pocket Color
Sega Mastersystem model 1
Sega Mastersystem model 2
Sega Megadrive model 1
Sega Megadrive model 2
Sega CD model 2
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Game Gear
Commodore CDTV
Commodore CD-32
Watara Supervision
Mega Duck
Microsoft Xbox
Microsoft Xbox360 Pro
Sony Playstation
Sony PS-one
Sony PS2 1ste model
Sony PS2 slim
Sony PS3 Phat 60GB
Sony PSP-3000
Radofin 1292 Advanced programmable
Radofin Telesports IV

Reply 49 of 61, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
laxdragon wrote:

I'm a huge fan of retro consoles. I've never seen PC and console as mutually exclusive. I love both equally. Here is a shot of my little retro console "den".

Dayum there's some great consoles in there! A TurboDuo and an AES, as well as a NES toploader and SNES Jr - nice setup! 😁

Reply 50 of 61, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually just getting into consoles now.
None of my mates had one growing up so first console I played was when a friend got a PS1 when I was in high school, taking turns in Gran Turismo.
Then I got given an xbox in 2003? with Project Gotham 2 and Halo 2 bundled. Got a few more games but still preferred PC and being able to mod games.

About 5 years ago I inherited a xbox here in the UK, soft modded and running XBMC. Ended up getting a mod chip Xbox as well but later for next to nothing which this year I upgraded to 2TB HDD, still mainly used to play movies but getting into the games now. Love playing Super Mario 3 on it with the Mrs, its about the only game she played as a kid but even now she's way better then me even after not playing it for years.

Got my PSP Slim with CFW which I used a lot when traveling, and still lives next to my bed for times I have a quick 5 min for a game.

Looked at getting a SNES but doubt I ever will as the xbox does a fine job. But seriously thinking about getting a PS2 or 3 to replay the PS1 games.

Reply 51 of 61, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexter311 wrote:
laxdragon wrote:

Dayum there's some great consoles in there! A TurboDuo and an AES, as well as a NES toploader and SNES Jr - nice setup! 😁

You forgot to mention his Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer, an uncommon beast in retroland 😀

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 52 of 61, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:
dexter311 wrote:
laxdragon wrote:

You forgot to mention his Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer, an uncommon beast in retroland 😀

Thanks! I've been working on that collection for the last 15+ years. I started officially collecting retro around 2000 or so. I'm not a completionist, I only collect what makes me happy or has some special meaning. It has a been a total blast building this collection, and seeing the space evolve over the years.

I made a video tour some time ago. A few things have changed around a bit, but it still gives a nice view of the entire space and my MAME cabinet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD5AZqaa8hc

Also not shown is the Vectrex. I need more games for that one though. I only have 3 at the moment counting the built in game.

th_robdisco_zpsslos79nh.jpg

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 53 of 61, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
laxdragon wrote:

Also not shown is the Vectrex. I need more games for that one though. I only have 3 at the moment counting the built in game.

Well your storage is very well organised for a guy with 1,151 games.

Reply 54 of 61, by Nestel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm plays a little bit. At the Dendy NES. And also the X360 that I not consider as a retro. Enjoy specially when I work at the night!!!! (Sorry for the big bump).
C36v_Sd8_WYAMsn_Ef.jpg DBeb9o_AXo_AIc_Njy.jpg DBed_MDRWAAAIs_UD.jpg DBedw_b_W0_AEt_Xzf.jpgDBeb_Pe_XXg_AAnh_WA.jpg

+ https://twitter.com/nestel34/status/880107251008241664, https://twitter.com/nestel34/status/880113286095798272.

Reply 56 of 61, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've culled my collection of retro consoles a bit but still have several for when the mood takes me. Generally a Sega Mega Drive is my go-to and lately I've been rocking my SMS games on a 60Hz modded Mega Drive via a couple of these excellent converters: power base mini and power base FM

The FM version includes a discrete YM2413, allowing the game to play FM music if included (the Japanese SMS had FM, the rest of us didn't). The converters come as a bare PCB so I tracked down a couple of empty Mega Drive carts and slapped them in those. The composite output of the Mega Drive is noticeably nicer than a real SMS, so with the FM and the 60Hz, I'm seeing games I've been playing for ~25 years in a new light.

P1030267.jpg

P1030274.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 57 of 61, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Love retro consoles. 😀

2iunKIrm.jpg

Slightly older picture... not shown is a new SCART switch with two outputs that gives me a much better method than what I was doing before to play games on either the PVM or the HDTV (via Framemeister, also not pictured). HDTV is still a better option for multiplayer.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 58 of 61, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Dreamcast and a PS2. My Dreamcast sees pretty regular use but my PS2 not so much as I played it to death when it was current! I have a SCART and VGA cable for it. The lower part of the case is yellowing whereas the top half is not so much, making an interesting two-tone effect.

Peek-aboo!

PfQIO3Dl.jpg
TPwqCkgl.jpg
v0RrQT7l.jpg

Yes! Now I have a Dreamcast keyboard, I can play Worms World Party just like I could if I had it on the PC! Which I do! Except the PC version actually tells you what the controls are!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 59 of 61, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lately I am also collecting/using old game consoles. Back in its times I used a lot the Master System Z80 powered console and the same architecture based Game Gear portable. Now I am trying the 16bit Mega Drive / Genesis console, the second version with some complete games with boxes.
Technically I absolutely had to try the SVP processor powered Virtua Racing game. 😁
Hope to complete it with the Mega CD and the 32X one day. 😉