VOGONS

First post, by SnipeUout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This has to be one of the best DDR ram ever for overclocking. Originally costing $370ish dollars new. While it's still expensive, you just cannot find this stuff anymore.

OCZ PC-3700 2X512MB EB Platinum 3-2-2-8 (RARE)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/262480194184?

Retro Rig: PIII 1Ghz (SL4KL), P3B-F 1.04, Crucial 512Mb, Geforce4 TI4600, SATAII Raptor, AWE64 GOLD, STB Voodoo 2… TBC

Reply 2 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a pair of of 1gb sticks of OCZ DDR500. Talk about rare! Picked em up doing a system upgrade along with a Gainward Bliss 7800GS and a 3.4 Prescott with 110mm Zalmann HSF on a Asus motherboard. Makes a great XP system!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 8, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

anything with samsung tccd chips would be great, although some cherry picked models are even greater.
for 1gb modules, the only choices are cherry picked micron 5bg and late(after mid2005) samsung uccc chips.

Reply 5 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember having some bad kits of high end OCZ DDR back in the day. It seemed fairly common at that time too. Make sure to run memtest on that stuff and ensure good airflow.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
noshutdown wrote:

anything with samsung tccd chips would be great, although some cherry picked models are even greater.
for 1gb modules, the only choices are cherry picked micron 5bg and late(after mid2005) samsung uccc chips.

Yeah, going by the chip and not the kit is usually a better idea. But knowing what a good chip is a d is not takes experience.

Reply 8 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Note that the word "rare" on ebay has lost all meaning by being overused for so much, so take the seller's rarity as a grain of salt

On local Dutch ebay-clones, I at some point noticed that even some sellers in The Netherlands started using similar English words to promote the sale of their overpriced (and perhaps even untested) gear.

What was so funny, is that these sellers also used "rare", but in Dutch this word means "weird" and whenever I saw such an ad, I tended to agree.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!