VOGONS

First post, by SnipeUout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this today, a pair of NIB PIII 1GHZ 100FSB being sold for a duel mobo setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/262489432896?

Retro Rig: PIII 1Ghz (SL4KL), P3B-F 1.04, Crucial 512Mb, Geforce4 TI4600, SATAII Raptor, AWE64 GOLD, STB Voodoo 2… TBC

Reply 2 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are new, in box though. And were not all that common. That guy might get $150 for them, but certainly not $400 BIN. I have a used set of these CPUs. It is not easy to find a 440BX motherboard which works with the pair at 1 GHz. My Dell Precision Workstation 410 maxed out at 850 MHz, although 1 GHz is pseudo-stable. My Tyan S1832D board is of the revision which can accept up to 600 MHz only, although there is a hardware mod work-around I haven't tried yet.

I have read that many (all, or most?) 440BX boards work with a 133 MHz FSB. What would be interesting would be to see how far the pair can overclock to in such a MB. I don't think I've seen any examples of a dual 1.33 GHz copermine setup.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

Um, overpriced by a factor of 40-50.

That would make it around $10 BIN 🤣

This is the top 100 MHz FSB Slot 1 CPU and sealed NIB. Will always go for an outrageous price. Just get a 800 MHz model and save yourself lots of cash.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 11, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or just get the Socekt 370 version and compatible adapters, if your board supports FSB 133 and if you videocard can handle 89 Mhz AGP in the case of BX motherboards, you can go with the P1 1 GHz FSB 133 for much less than this, also no mentioning the FSB 133 model is faster

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 5 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Or just get the Socekt 370 version and compatible adapters, if your board supports FSB 133 and if you videocard can handle 89 Mhz AGP in the case of BX motherboards, you can go with the P1 1 GHz FSB 133 for much less than this, also no mentioning the FSB 133 model is faster

There is something about slot 1 systems which are magnificently more alluring than any socket 370 system.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 11, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

There is something about slot 1 systems which are magnificently more alluring than any socket 370 system.

Not in my experience. I prefer S370, but then the first machine I got to experiment with hardware wise was a 866MHz PIIIEB in S370 so it's probably rose tinted glasses on my part. Wish I still had that one but it was at school and my parents wouldn't let me bring it home (it had been a donation PC, I worked on it to learn more about computers for an extracurricular activity)/

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 7 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

What I like the most about slot 1 systems is that it is easier to source parts for them including nice boards since most people only go after the good 370 stuff.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 11, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Or just get the Socket 370 version and compatible adapters, if your board supports FSB 133 and if you videocard can handle 89 Mhz AGP in the case of BX motherboards, you can go with the P1 1 GHz FSB 133 for much less than this, also no mentioning the FSB 133 model is faster

Yes yes yes... but the way things are now, I think I'll just get (for BX) a 1.0 or even 1,1GHz FCPGA Coppermine and maybe, if possible, retrofit onto it a SECC2 case (esp. the side with the mighty logos and hologram) to get the all-so-important look. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 9 of 11, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
feipoa wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

What I like the most about slot 1 systems is that it is easier to source parts for them including nice boards since most people only go after the good 370 stuff.

I could try this with in a P2B-DS or an Epox Dual 370 board.
I would try it out just for a quick benchmark spin.

But that would be a 33% overclock.
Do you guys think the CPUs can handle that?

Pentium 3 1000/256/100/1.75v SL5QV

Reply 10 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:
I could try this with in a P2B-DS or an Epox Dual 370 board. I would try it out just for a quick benchmark spin. […]
Show full quote
nforce4max wrote:
feipoa wrote:

I could try this with in a P2B-DS or an Epox Dual 370 board.
I would try it out just for a quick benchmark spin.

But that would be a 33% overclock.
Do you guys think the CPUs can handle that?

Pentium 3 1000/256/100/1.75v SL5QV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-P2B-DS-Motherboa … 34AAOSwR5dXTKFx

I would be bidding on it myself but I have already bought a lot of stuff this week. I wouldn't be surprised that a 800 or 900mhz pair could do between 1-1.2ghz without too much fuss providing nothing went wrong cooling or power wise. If all else could piece together a pair of the same stepping if you can't find a matched pair at a decent price. Did this to my slot 2 xeon setup as I went with the 2mb 550 mhz p3 xeons and did the same to my 933mhz dell precession. Some steppings are rare so check things first before buying.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11 of 11, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If i remember, Coppermine has stability issues over 1-1.1 ghz due to architerture limitations. Some people managed to overclock at the range of 1.2-1.3 ghz, but i haven't seen benchmarks of them.

Originally, Intel wanted to release an 1.13 ghz Pentium III back in 2000, it was never released due to extreme stability issues and problems during the reviews. Intel haven't relesed a coppermine 1.13 ghz untill the CD0 stepping

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems