VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see. The GOG release of Raptor is similar, it's a pure Windows game. Yea add it, give it an E plus comment, fill most cells with N/A to make it easy to enter. I might colour in the rows according to rating at some point.

EDIT:

I've coloured it it. The red ones will stick out now.

I've changed The Dark Queen of Krynn to C as you wrote you can't change the sound settings and we don't know an (easy) workaround.

EDIT EDIT: GK2, I'm not sure how that game got a E rating. I just tried it and it's a perfect release. Game works, installer for Sound Cards is there and all you need to do is copy the game folder across.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 21 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I've changed The Dark Queen of Krynn to C as you wrote you can't change the sound settings and we don't know an (easy) workaround.

Thanks. What did I have it before, a B? I can't remember. 😀

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

GK2, I'm not sure how that game got a E rating. I just tried it and it's a perfect release. Game works, installer for Sound Cards is there and all you need to do is copy the game folder across.

What about the 2.67GB MOVIES sub-folder? I gave an E because I thought this was part of the game and 2.67GB won't fit on most DOS partitions.

edit: which reminds me there are a few GOG games like this. They may work if copied straight across but because the size of the game files is >2GB, it doesn't seem practical.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well that game uses lots of real video footage. It either came on several CDs or a single DVD.

You just got to use a more modern DOS, like 7.1 or FreeDOS that supports 120GB partitions and higher (for FreeDOS).

It's actually nice to play these games CD-less.

But good point, that fact should be added.

Yea Dark Queen was B which is "pain to install, but nothing is missing".

Reply 23 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

It's actually nice to play these games CD-less.

I agree. This is how I played WC3. Even though it comes with an install DVD, it was about 1.8GB, so it fit on its own DOS6.22 partition. But I only made that exception because it was one of my favorite games. Otherwise, I'd play off the DVD, or if the game only worked by copying files over, I'd just play it through DOSBox. I spent a lot of time setting up my DOS machine and don't want to reinvest the time to convert it to DOS7 or FreeDOS. 😀

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yea Dark Queen was B which is "pain to install, but nothing is missing".

I messed up then. Thanks for catching it. 😀

Reply 24 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The good thing about DOS is that you can just copy the folders.

How are you organising your games? I have C:\GAMES and then folders for developers like SIERRA, ORIGIN and their games inside those folders.

I'm sure GK2 can be copied onto a DVD and launched from C:

Sierra is awesome with the RESOURCE.CFG, just edit the paths.

Reply 25 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

The good thing about DOS is that you can just copy the folders.

How are you organising your games? I have C:\GAMES and then folders for developers like SIERRA, ORIGIN and their games inside those folders.

I organize by year of release.
C:\GAMES holds games released from 1982-1993. 75 games, with 721MB free space.
D: currently holds WC3 (the exception to my organization) 1 game, 268MB free.
E: holds games released in 1994-1995. 37 games, 488MB free.
F: holds games released in 1996-1997. 12 games, 727MB free.
If I ever run out of room, I can blow away WC3 since I already beat it. But I think I'll be fine, since I already own just about every DOS game I ever wanted, with room to spare.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I'm sure GK2 can be copied onto a DVD and launched from C:

Sierra is awesome with the RESOURCE.CFG, just edit the paths.

I don't normally have a DVD drive in my DOS machine. 😀 I like keeping it looking authentic, and don't have any DVD drives with beige faceplates. I made a temporary exception to copy WC3 to my D: partition.

Yesterday I backed up my DOS drive by temporarily moving it to my XP machine and copying the partitions over. Then did a high compression .7z and moved to my file server. Ended up with a 3.3GB file.

EDIT: other games that seem to be similar to GK2 (no install media, uses DOSBox, huge folder size):
Lands of Lore 2
Privateer 2
Realms of the Haunting
Space Quest 6
The Last Express

I haven't tested these due to my partition size limitation. If you have any of these and have time, maybe you can test them.

Reply 26 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sweet.

I have SQ6, that game runs fine, also got Privateer 2 but haven't tried it yet.

Reply 27 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Return to Zork and I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. I remember playing RTZ back in the day. Very goofy humor. 😀

Scream is a pleasant surprise that I never played back in the day. It is a point and click adventure, but it is pure SVGA (no option for VGA) and looks and sounds amazing. Very intriguing (serious) story too.

Reply 29 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Dungeon Keeper Gold. This one is a little tricky and takes 160MB of hdd space. There's no installer, so you have to copy files manually to DOS AND make a partial mixed-mode CD for the CD Audio music.

Reply 30 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Added Dungeon Keeper Gold. This one is a little tricky and takes 160MB of hdd space. There's no installer, so you have to copy files manually to DOS AND make a partial mixed-mode CD for the CD Audio music.

Nice!

Odd that your sound card options are limited. Did they maybe not include all drivers?

Reply 31 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Nice!

Odd that your sound card options are limited. Did they maybe not include all drivers?

There's lots of options for digital sound, it's just music that's limited. I think it's probably because they were pushing the CD Audio music. But honestly, I never owned the original game, so I don't know for sure.

Reply 33 of 164, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I do own the original version of Dungeon Keeper, and yeah, it's CD Audio only. If you run the installer from the CD, it DOES give you a dedicated option in the menu to 'select AWE-32'. Similarly, after you install, if you run the Miles Sound System SETSOUND, it only has one entry for MIDI music: the AWE32. Regardless, it doesn't seem to use this setting at all. So it sounds like GOG didn't change anything after all 😉

Reply 35 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Ultimas 5-7Pt2, the Underworlds and the Gobliiins Pack. Sadly, Gobliiins uses ScummVM and does not include executables, so it will not run in real DOS. I have not added Ultimas 1-4 yet, but what would be the recommended CPU for games from the early 1980s? Would a 286 be too fast I wonder?

Reply 36 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good question and I've never played stuff this old.

You can try Moslo: http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

I usually don't use it because I use cache tricks and play 386 games as my oldest games. But with Moslo you can play old games like sopwith.

What cycle speed did GOG configure? That also gives you a clue. 6000 is a good setting for a 386 DX. Wing Commander runs well with 4000 to 5000 cycles.

Reply 37 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Good question and I've never played stuff this old.

Same here. I was on the Apple II during this era.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

What cycle speed did GOG configure? That also gives you a clue. 6000 is a good setting for a 386 DX. Wing Commander runs well with 4000 to 5000 cycles.

Ultimas 1-3 are between 300-500 cycles. Ultima 4 is 2000 cycles.

Reply 39 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There. Completed all the Ultimas. 😀 My favorite part of these old games is you can't exit to DOS from within the game. You just reboot the computer when you're done playing. 🤣.