VOGONS

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one was a fun little project. the heatsink is off of a dell precision 370 with the socket 478 bracket bolted through to hold the heatsink in place (i would love to rig a liquid cooler on this).
Lots of time spent on this thing learning about overclocking, lots of trial and error.

CPU: 3.4GHz pentium 4 socket 478 overclock to 3.84GHz (will be replace with an unlocked one here shortly)
RAM: 4GB of DDr400 Brand: Trancsend
HDD: 250GB spinpoint 200GB Spinpoint in Raid (shows 400GB) secondary drive is 750GB ide (I might replace them with 2x 120GB Kingston SSD in Raid)
Video: HD3850 AGP
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380Watt (I really trust these power supplies as im sure im really pushing it)
OS: Windows XP Pro SP3 (still receiving updates tell 2019)

My original intent was to keep this strictly 2004, but since I got a really good overclock out of it, so I wanted to just max it out, the only thing newer in it is the hd3850.

Im curious if anyone else reached 4GHz on air or water cooling with a socket 478.

Attachments

• IMG_1142.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1142.JPG
    File size
    1.42 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Old school powerspec case
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1141.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1141.JPG
    File size
    2.51 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Had to be careful with this at making sure the heatsink sate flush with the cpu
    File license
  • IMG_1140.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1140.JPG
    File size
    1.92 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Inside View of the case
    File license
  • 3DMark 2001 SE.JPG
    Filename
    3DMark 2001 SE.JPG
    File size
    359.04 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    My 3DMark 2001 SE score
    File license

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 25, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!

Prescott too, poor motherboard VRMs 😊

The 2001 score is very nice, a real high end socket 478 beast.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 25, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only had to rise the voltage just a tiny bit its almost close to stock voltage

Reply 3 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Coolermaster Centurion 5...one of my most favorite ATX cases 😀
My main system is sitting here right next to me with its side panel removed, its insides look virtually identical too.

Yours looks like another one of those semi-clone Centurion 5's (there was one on Vogons a while ago, also same case but different manufacturer markings etc).

One thing I really don't like about the Centurion 5, is that the front bezel is kinda a lot of hassle to remove (for the front case fan etc), but otherwise it has few bad sides.

The cases which have an all-black front bezel look even nicer, but only have one of those alas.

What CPU cooler are you using btw?

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-07-11, 00:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 25, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cooler is from an precision 370 if you look really close at the picture it forced on by the socket 478 bracket sitting on the heatsink with long screw to tighten it.

At the top it says case by cooler master, powerspec is just a microcenter brand, this case is really sturdy though, it doesn't feel cheap.

Reply 5 of 25, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great work in getting it all together !
Crazy setup.

But you know... it may be a little... tiny... bit CPU Bottlenecked in that 3DMark 01 SE.
Here's my experimental Windows 98 SE setup with Win XP and FX 5950 Ultra (not OC'ed) for comparison :

3DMark01 SE 4GHz mini.png
Filename
3DMark01 SE 4GHz mini.png
File size
475.49 KiB
Views
File license

😁

157143230295.png

Reply 6 of 25, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

holy crap my p4 is right up to par with your C2D, Im pretty sure if u put a hd3850 in there you will be on top.

Reply 7 of 25, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, I would only had to OC that 5950 Ultra a little bit, just to be on top 😉
Basicly - you got it wrong :
it's not how fast a Pentium 4 is, it's how fast a 5950 Ultra can be.

Here's a thought :
I think we all agree that 5950 Ultra is A LOT slower than Radeon 3850 AGP.
Now, 3DMarks are supposed to measure GPU performance.
So 5950 Ultra matching Radeon 3850 in a GPU benchmark is quite... interesting 😀

In short : Pentium Dual-Core is able to deliver Radeon 3850 performance out of 5950 Ultra in 3DMark 01SE.

157143230295.png

Reply 8 of 25, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The HD3850 is actually slower in all tests (compared with 7800gs and 6800gt) except the Nature test where it kills the opposition. The final score only uses the
game tests, so the rest can be disabled to speed things up.
The P4 is an enormous bottleneck for the HD3850, even with a Asus ct-479 adaptor and Pentium M it's still a massive bottleneck.

Attachments

• 3dmark2001N.JPG
    Filename
    3dmark2001N.JPG
    File size
    330.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 9 of 25, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice build. I have a 3.4 GHz Prescott build with the same exact mobo, but a different case with a transparent side, a geforce 6200 and 2 GB RAM. I'm running mine at stock clocks. I'll make a thread about mine and my other i865PE builds someday

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 10 of 25, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

The HD3850 is actually slower in all tests (compared with 7800gs and 6800gt) except the Nature test where it kills the opposition. The final score only uses the
game tests, so the rest can be disabled to speed things up.
The P4 is an enormous bottleneck for the HD3850, even with a Asus ct-479 adaptor and Pentium M it's still a massive bottleneck.

Would a Pentium D 935 bottleneck my HD 4650 AGP? I'm curently using one in a build with an ASUS P5PE-VM and the mentioned Pentium D. I can run 3DMark2001 if you want. Also try swapping with other CPUs i have like my Core 2 Duo E4500 or an E6400 (with FSB OC though)

Reply 11 of 25, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Benchmark, benchmark, benchmark i always put high end cards with my maxed out computers, i start with a crappy card benchmark, then go a little higher tell benchmarking doesn't score any higher.

The pentium 4 3.4ghz was released in 2004 and the 6800 was also 2004, i paired those two and got a decent score, but i get even better with a hd3850 on this build. Much better frames in game then the 6800.

I dont own a 7800 cuz there impossible to get for a good price, but i do have 3 hd3850's so why the hell not.

saying the word bottleneck is pretty infinite, cuz if you throw this card in with a C2D then the card will be a bottleneck, then you change the card in that C2D to higher one, then your cpu is bottleneck, its pretty much an infinite loop.

Last edited by Oldskoolmaniac on 2016-07-11, 04:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 25, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

The Coolermaster Centurion 5...one of my most favorite ATX cases 😀
My main system is sitting here right next to me with its side panel removed, its insides look virtually identical too.

My daily driver i5 machine is housed in one of those handsome cases too! I've owned it from new - it started life as a Core2Duo back in the day. Internal upgrades have come and gone but I've never seen any reason to replace the Centurion.

Nice build by the way OP.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aww, a prescott system! Wonderful! I had a Pentium 4 with a Prescott in 2006!
The system was very loud but the chip was very compatible and fast. ^^
And last but not least, the Prescott had hot new features like SSE3, NX-Bit and Hyper-Threading.
Seeing two cores was amazing! Thanks to this CPU popular apps like PowerDVD and Photoshop (Mac port already had this) and
other tools finally got proper multi-threading (something they should already had since W95)!
Another cool feature was its ability to disable HT for maximum Windows 98 performance!
The Prescott wasn't just cool, it really was a hot piece of technology ! 😉

Congratulations on this wonderful build!
Seeing this makes me happy!

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 25, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hyper-Threading was on Northwood P4's before the Prescott. "Hot" is the right word to describe a prescott, literally.

My HD3850 ended up in a Asrock 4-coredual-sata with an overclocked E5200@3.4ghz. That definitely maxed out the video card.

You can get brand new 7800gs from Aliexpress, they are pricey though.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-New-NVIDIA … 0608.4.2.OSPfuZ

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 15 of 25, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:
Hyper-Threading was on Northwood P4's before the Prescott. "Hot" is the right word to describe a prescott, literally. […]
Show full quote

Hyper-Threading was on Northwood P4's before the Prescott. "Hot" is the right word to describe a prescott, literally.

My HD3850 ended up in a Asrock 4-coredual-sata with an overclocked E5200@3.4ghz. That definitely maxed out the video card.

It kinda looks like an fake/scam videocard imo

Reply 16 of 25, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Imperious wrote:
Hyper-Threading was on Northwood P4's before the Prescott. "Hot" is the right word to describe a prescott, literally. […]
Show full quote

It kinda looks like an fake/scam videocard imo

Nonsense. I bought a perfectly good brand new PCI tnt2 m64 off there as well as numerous other supposedly impossible to get parts for retro computers, including
Commodore Vic-20 Video chips, 80287, Amd 5x86 133, eprom chips, and lots of other stuff.
Just make sure You open up a dispute before the time runs out if You don't get the item/s purchased or they are faulty or damaged. I've gotten refunds from a couple
of purchases, but there is little risk if You are on top of any issues. The sellers so not get a cent until either You advise item received or the time to open a dispute runs out.

Reply 17 of 25, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Im curious if anyone else reached 4GHz on air or water cooling with a socket 478.

I had one at 4 ghz some years ago. A 3.0e e0 stepping on a dfi 865pe-al. Cooled with a n620 on a custom mount. 1066mhz fsb. Stable everything.

Reply 18 of 25, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

Would you like to test that theory ?

3DMark 01 SE HD 3850 mini.png
Filename
3DMark 01 SE HD 3850 mini.png
File size
434.79 KiB
Views
File license

😎

EDIT : And score after GPU OC...

3DMark 01 SE HD 3850 OC mini.png
Filename
3DMark 01 SE HD 3850 OC mini.png
File size
430.63 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by agent_x007 on 2016-07-11, 18:46. Edited 2 times in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 19 of 25, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool. As phil already posted, did you install any mod to the board's VRM? Tower HSFs airflow don't reach them at all and since you have a OC, it would be good to add at least some passive heatsinks to them if possible.