VOGONS

First post, by Lizardude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I have 98 duel-booted with XP on my computer, I am becoming concerned that I will eventually be unable to use 98, as support for 98 is slowly becoming poorer and poorer.

So even though I can run doom engine games fine now, I would like to know what kind of computer I will need to get them to run in DOSBox, when the time comes that DOSBox is my only option. I want to be able to play Chex Quest and Strife until the day I die.

Currently, I have 1GB of ram, a Pentium 4 3.2ghz CPU, and an ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128mb. I have followed all the advice I can find for improving the performance of DOSBox, and I still cannot get Doom engine games to run at a decent frame rate. I have tried increasing my CPU cycles, and it does help, but after a certain point, the music goes out of tune and the problem becomes really bad. In order to run these games as well as they run on my 98, what kind of computer is needed?

Just an extra note: I've noticed that the game loads faster in DOSBox than in 98, even if it runs slower while in the game.

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Odd,

Did you follow the advice from the DosBox wiki?
Are you using dynamic core?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2005-01-18, 22:32. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think that DOOM runs very well in DOSBOX when using dynamic core on my Athlon 1 Ghz.
There are also some Windows native port of DOOM.
I have not tested other games you mentioned.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 9, by Lizardude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Doom, Doom II, Heretic, and Hexen all have ports available for Windows, Chex Quest, and Strife do not. The former because of lack of popularity, the ladder because the source code to Strife has been lost.

I have read the wiki and have tried it. Dynamic helps significantly, but it is not enough to make it playable. At areas with lots of lindefs showing, the game slowes to a crawl.

Reply 4 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried using DOS32A?

I believe Vavoom supports strife (Not fully compatible tho)

There's also svstrife: http://forums.newdoom.com/archive/index.php/t-21430.html
(Still in beta)

Download here:
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/source/

Looks good in 640X480. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 9, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree Doomsday engine rocks. Its the best way to run Doom on modern hardware. Get the texture and model packs while you are there, it almost brings the game upto a Half-Life 1 level of quaility.

For me on my 3.2 P4, I can run all the Doom engine game decently at around 16000 to 20000 cycles. Duke Nukem games at 320x200 need around 25000 or so to run OK. I don't think there is a machine built yet that can run Duke 3D at 640x480 in DOSbox. Though if you want Duke, check out JonoFs port here:
http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfduke3d

Now, if only they could get the engine supporting Shadow Warrior, Blood, and Redneck Rampage. 😁

Reply 9 of 9, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It supports NAM if you tinker with it....just rename the NAM.grp to DUKE3D.grp and watch in amazment! 🤣 Game looks nice in Ploymost..

As for Duke3d...I ran it with a normal core (dynamic doesn't work) and about 34000 cycles. Adding frameskipping can help too. I wouldn't play duke3d like that with Jonof's port around....its pointless. Especially once jonof finishes the network code off...heh 😁