VOGONS

First post, by Proud_Persian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,
Ok i have been looking up and down for Leisure Suit Larry 7 - Love for Sail! I finally got my hands on the PC version, but im trying to run it on my iBook.

So here's the thing, i Virtual PC 6.1 and installed WinXP, and ran Larry 7. The game ran but extremely slow and the sound was lagging like crazy!

So then i got DosBox 0.63, since it claimed on the website that Larry 7 was supported! So when i run it, it keeps crashing and it says:
"Vesa Found
DOS/4GW Professional Error (2001): exception 0Bh (segment not present) at 70:00004502"
(and it gives a bunch of codes after that)

Now this problem has nothing to do with inserting the CD, since on the PC and Virtual PC it ran without requiring the PC. Oh and i have placed the Larry folder into "/Users/LSL7/"
So when i want to mount it i type "mount c /Users/LSL7"
And i had to edit the "Resource.cfg" in the larry folder and change the path which Larry was installed in windows (eg. c:\LSL7) i changed it to (/Users/LSL7)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 😉

Long Live Iran(Persia), Long Live Freedom!
Down with the Islamic Republic

Reply 2 of 12, by Proud_Persian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx for the reply. But how can i use DOS32A instead of DOS/4GW?
And keep in mind that im using a Mac OSX. Thnx in advance! 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Proud_Persian wrote:

But how can i use DOS32A instead of DOS/4GW?
And keep in mind that im using a Mac OSX.

Search forum (DOS32A was discussed here). Search internet (I think DOS32A is for download from sourceforge)... Read DOS32A documentation.
As for having Mac: remember that for program running in DOSBOX it does not matter what is your real computer...

Edited: Check this link:
STTNG: A Final Unity Installation Guide for DosBox

Mirek

Reply 4 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the game has a standalone dos4gw executable around (dos4gw.exe) there is a good chance that if you copy dos32a.exe and rename it to dos4gw.exe, everything will work flawless. If dos4gw is embedded in the main executable you need to rebind it to dos32a. You will need to download the dos32a package which includes de SB.EXE utility, that is what you need to replace, bind, unbind, protected mode LE stubs into the executables.

PS - I recall there was a patch available for LSL7 that was almost essential for certain machines.

Reply 5 of 12, by Proud_Persian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thnx for ur replies! 😉

But this past 24hours i have been going crazy, i dont know why, but im in love and have to find a perfect working solution to have LSL7 run on my Mac! 😁

So i have tried DosBox, i tried Virtual PC with WinXP, WinME, Win98, DOS 6.22!

I ran LSL7 thru Virtual PC via WinXP (virtual pc is a program that emulates a PC on a Mac, so i can actually emulate WinXP), but it ran really badly!

The next and current solution was Virtual PC with Win98, i ran it via win98, had to reduce colors to 256bit. It ran, but the colors were messed up even with reduced colors! So i restarted win98 and booted to DOS. Ran it from there, it ran really good, except the sound kept going in a loop!

So i would greatly appreciate it if u could tell me more about this patch for LSL7. And/or how to properly apply "DOS32A" if its embedded, which it is. Thnx in advance! 😀

Reply 6 of 12, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Specifically, the "Breakthrough for A Final Unity" sticky thread is the one that discusses DOS32/A. If you can't get it to work, DOS4GW games are often more stable under the 'normal' core rather than the 'dynamic' core. If you get it running with DOS32/A, the likelihood that you'll be able to run it with the dynamic core, and squeezing out more cycles from your CPU goes up by quite a bit.

Reply 7 of 12, by Laskov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am fized the DOS/4GW problem

This problem is just a bad configuration of dosbox.

Open dosbox.conf and search the part [autoexec] (in the lower of the file)

Add this line (change this for your pc)

mount c c:/

this for mount the C:\ partition (important)

mount d d:/ -t cdrom

if your cdrom is the d:\

the first d are the mounter drive in dosbox (exemple your mount a drive d:\ to f in dosbox with the command mount f d:/ -t cdrom

after this restart dosbox and now the larry 7 start but this is slowy in my configuration (P4C 2.4ghz 512mo ram windows 2000 sp4)

Reply 9 of 12, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Larry 7 works fine for me in dosbox...the audio tends to skip sometimes when it loads from the cd. Other than that its perfect speed at 34000 cycles. 😎 I didn't try adding frameskip but it might fix the audio skippage.

Reply 10 of 12, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LSL7 works perfect for me, no DOS32a required. I run at about 16000 cycles. I copyied all the game files from the CD to the C:\SIERRA\LSL7DOS folder of DOSbox. The I edited the resource.cfg so all the CD paths pointed at that dir. Now, no CD required. I think this helps with the audio chop as well if your CD is old and scratched up a bit.