VOGONS

First post, by Silent Bob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I try to calibrate my Joystick in Armada, it always says:
"Joystick I: Bad calibration data"
The Joystick Calibration-Tool for Armada (can be found here: http://www.wcrevival.de/downloads/index.php) shows a change in the X and Y coordinates of the joystick when I move the stick, and the buttons work, but according to the chart the stick stays in the lower right corner.
The joystick works with Wing Commander Privateer, so what's wrong here?

Reply 1 of 7, by Paradox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same probelm with my joystick. It also happens in both the Crusaders. Last I heard there was no way to fix it... although for the Crusaders I use my joysticks mapping program to emulate the keyboard.

Reply 2 of 7, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll give a bump for an old thread. Has really no one found a solution for this bug yet? - Except using the keyboard to fly, cause honestly I'm too stupid to fly with the keyboard well enough 🙁

Reply 3 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did one of you guys try the cvs ?
some small patches were included concerning the joystick.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, haven't tried any cvs since 0.63 came out. (No idea how to compile them anyway 🙁 - Downloaded them compiled from a forum member's site the last time)

Reply 5 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Get you CVS builds here:

http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm
http://rdu.dk/dosbox-cvs-builds

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 7, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx a lot minimax for the link 😀 - Will give the CVS a try then...

EDIT: Hmm, somehow I'm unable to download via the first link (file not found)
And for the second one, It does not start to download something (waited a few minutes.)
Strange thing is, the download of the changelog file works for both 😒
Anyway, according to the changelog, nothing has been added for additional joystick support since 0.63. 🙁 But maybe I'm just unable to tell whether a patch helps to improve the joystick support or not. - Thx anyway 😉

Reply 7 of 7, by CorporateTool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had calibration problems in WC Armada using dosbox .63 so I downloaded the pre-compiled CVS snapshot from 2-13-05. I copied the files in the zip to my existing Dosbox .63 directory and again attempted Wing Commander Armada.

I'm still able to pass the joystick calibration within the game but joystick movement is still erratic and pulls toware the bottom right.

I'm using an older digital joystick (Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro) which is attached via gameport.

Based on what I've seen both on these forums and the Wing Commander forums here's the situation:

1. Some joysticks never pass calibration in WC Armada. Those that do pass calibration still do not function properly.

2. Most people (myself included) don't experience these issues in other Wing Commander games of a similar vintage (such as Privateer). With Dosbox .63 WC Privateer works great with my joystick.

I realize that WC Armada isn't necessarily a major priority but I'd be happy to help in any way I can including running debug binaries, etc. I miss this old game 😀