VOGONS

Common searches

Retro flight sim playthroughs

Topic actions

First post, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would like to share with anyone who loved flight sims in the '90 with my personal tribute to those games in the form of proper quality playthroughs and showcases which you can watch here:

U.S. Navy Fighters HD - Ukraine Campaign

Marine Fighters - Kuril Islands Campaign

Jane's Fighters Anthology - Vietnam Campaign

Jane's Advanced Tactical Fighters HD - Egypt and Russia Campaigns

Jane's ATF NATO Fighters HD - Baltics Campaign

Fleet Defender Gold - Multimedia

Classic DOS flight (and other) sims

Old DOS games demos

Top Gun: Fire at Will HD

F-22 Air Dominance Fighter

Su-27 Flanker Demo Missions

Flight Sim Showcase

Comanche 3 DOS - Playthrough in progress.

Jane's Longbow Gold - New playthrough in progress!

Wings of Glory - New playthrough in progress!

Jet Fighter Full Burn - Finished

F-15 Strike Eagle III - New playthrough in progress!

Last edited by damson on 2022-11-19, 14:09. Edited 14 times in total.

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 3 of 146, by Api

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If there's music in the background then it's not a flightsim.

IntelSE440BX-2 256MB PII-300 Rage128 Voodoo2 SLI Vortex2 SB32 Win98SE
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 1GB Athlon XP2400+/XP3000+ Radeon 9600XT
FIC PT-2000 P120 Matrox Millennium 2MB Orchid Righteous 3d

Reply 4 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@tincup - yeah that's me ☺

@Zup - Not yet, but someday who knows? I'm planning on going through Jane's Longbow, F-22 Air Dominance Fighter, Top Gun: Fire at Will and few others after I'm through with ATF's campaigns (Egypt, Russia and Baltics).

@Api - awesome music doesn't mind me, and those '90 sims were no DCS of today either, but their heart were big and their gameplay sweet

Reply 6 of 146, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was not a huge flight simmer, but I did spend a bit of time in USNF. That game is pretty finicky with Shadow settings in the BIOS. I have a couple of systems that do not have an option to disable Shadow setting in the BIOS, and those games won't run USNF. 😒 I do remember it having awesome MIDI music though.

Remember Top Gun-Fire at Will? Not a true flight sim, but fun nonetheless.

I spent some time in AOTP, AOE, 1942:EAW and Red Baron. I remember them fondly. 😀

And of course the Wing Commanders, X-Wing and Tie Fighter. All fun in their own way.

Thanks for posting the links, those will be cool to watch. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@carlostex - ah yes, the Fleet Defender, one of my favorite. Loved sitting in the RIO cockpit, managing the powerful AWG-9 radar assigning the Phoenix missiles to 6 individual targets in TWS-M mode and engaging them all at once from 100 nm away. Good times.

@clueless1 - Top Gun: Fire at Will while being a bit cheesy (those FMV and Stingers jokes, "Split-S? Everybody has a split ass!" - classic) it was great fun to play. I also played all Dynamix sims (Red Baron, AOTP, AOE), too bad Damon Sly return with the new Red Baron didn't went so well.

Reply 8 of 146, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone remember this? 😀

flight_068.png
Filename
flight_068.png
File size
8.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 146, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm still unable to land this one though. 🙁

f16combatpilot.png
Filename
f16combatpilot.png
File size
7.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 10 of 146, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Anyone remember this? 😀

flight_068.png

Knights Of The Sky I think - though I never really played it I have a copy installed and running under doxbox..

Reply 11 of 146, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, in-flight background music takes away the seriousness in a combat flight based game. It makes the game aracade-y. Same goes for racing sims. Even 'lite' sims A-10 Tank Killer and F-29 Retaliator don't have in-flight music.

I'm a flight junkie myself, have a collection of flight sims.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Falcon 3.0 (Or maybe i missed reading it?) The manual is like the telephone directory of yesteryears.

Others of interest were TFX, EF2000, SU-27 Flanker.

I also used to play F-117A Nighthawk and Gunship 2000 a lot those days.

EDIT : The best part of these games is the landing! The excitement and tension is even more than the encounters themselves!

And the most unforgiving and brutal landings I could ever think of is in F-29 Retaliator. Crazy!

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 146, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:

Anyone remember this? 😀

flight_068.png

Knights Of The Sky I think - though I never really played it I have a copy installed and running under doxbox..

It's an enjoyable game. Not as realistic as Red Baron, of course, but it's nice as short distraction --especially during busy times.

Malik wrote:

Yes, in-flight background music takes away the seriousness in a combat flight based game. It makes the game aracade-y. Same goes for racing sims. Even 'lite' sims A-10 Tank Killer and F-29 Retaliator don't have in-flight music.

I heartily disagree. 😉

Malik wrote:

I'm a flight junkie myself, have a collection of flight sims.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Falcon 3.0 (Or maybe i missed reading it?) The manual is like the telephone directory of yesteryears.

Indeed, Falcon manual is the thickest among the game manuals I've printed.

11060025_10206468539658768_8559378771177062787_n.jpg?oh=13a1d481cecd6244b30fa1b1330d096a&oe=582013B9

Malik wrote:
Others of interest were TFX, EF2000, SU-27 Flanker. […]
Show full quote

Others of interest were TFX, EF2000, SU-27 Flanker.

I also used to play F-117A Nighthawk and Gunship 2000 a lot those days.

EDIT : The best part of these games is the landing! The excitement and tension is even more than the encounters themselves!

And the most unforgiving and brutal landings I could ever think of is in F-29 Retaliator. Crazy!

Even harder that landing in F-16 Combat Pilot?

Reply 13 of 146, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

I heartily disagree. 😉

Sometimes it makes things feel so right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YvOKRHFdI

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 146, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorite flightsim is probably EF2000, it was not too arcadey but also not too hardcore, planning your own missions was so much fun!

The only flightsims I sometimes play nowadays are IL-2 1946 and the Wings over games by Third Wire (not Strikefighters 2) but they quickly get boring.
I have some planes in Rise of Flight as well but again after a few hours of playing my brain start leaking out of my ears.

Reply 15 of 146, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Even harder that landing in F-16 Combat Pilot?

F-29 Retaliator has a very narrow margin of error with the landing gears. They get destroyed very easily if the air speed is above this margin. And this is nothing about the vertical velocity or angle of attack, since this game is not THAT detailed or accurate. This kills the pilot instantly and mission fails. This is not the "realistically" difficult problem, but the unforgiving nature of the design & programming, I think. And it's a "lite" sim.

But saying that, it was one of the smoothest flight sim ever, even on a 286. It also gave a glimpse of what the modern weapons could do. And I think it was the first flight sim to feature the forward swept wings plane X-29.

I haven't played F-16 Combat Pilot by DID yet, so couldn't compare it. Perhaps I'll try it.

EDIT : And the gears will fail if not raised very soon after take off. This game kills the gears like a sworn enemy.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 16 of 146, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say my top 2 flight sims from the 90's are European Air War and Mig Alley. Jane's Longbow 2 and Apache vs Havoc are great, Jane's WW-2 Fighters, Hornet 3.0, A-10 Cuba!, Jane's FA-18 are up there. For good old games I reach for Aces Over Europe, Aces Of The Pacific, 1942 Pacific Air War, and the original Red Baron... I also really enjoy the sense of flight in Flying Corps Gold - it feels more like flying than many many other sims out there.

Reply 17 of 146, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

As a pilot I can tell you in real life, landing is still one of the most exciting parts (and the one hardest to do learn in school)! There is a lot of satisfaction coming with doing a smooth, center-line landing. 😀

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 18 of 146, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had the good fortune of flying a few of times in a 4-seater and got to ride and take the controls during portions of the flights, turns, banks, a few figure eights, navigation adjustments etc.. Totally *amazing* experience. But landing is by far the most demanding part of the trip - even as a spectator. You have to know what you're doing haha... and when weather comes in --- well forget about it. Flying by instruments is another level altogether... I love being up there and if one day I can swing it, I will.

Last edited by tincup on 2016-08-07, 22:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 19 of 146, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vladstamate wrote:
Malik wrote:

As a pilot I can tell you in real life, landing is still one of the most exciting parts (and the one hardest to do learn in school)! There is a lot of satisfaction coming with doing a smooth, center-line landing. 😀

Cool...