VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, idk if it's a power saving thing or another stuff, but I noticed today with my notebook that the cooler was off while running quake 2, I tried to turn the notebook off and then on to see if it spins but stops, but it didn't even moved 😳
So, is there a chance of that cooler is working but he's only turning it on only when it's hot?
I hope there's some way to test it without opening it, because it looks quite complex

Last edited by ibm5155 on 2016-08-06, 17:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

When it smells like electronics it's a typical sign of the computer being too hot. Can you check with something needle-like wether the fan's blades can still move freely?

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 7, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested the cooler with an usb external cable and it's working just fine, I really don't know if that's something normal or what...
I really wish there was a way to know the cpu temperature since it looks like it has a sensor inside of it
EDIT:
Is there some kind of ms-dos temperature monitor or even some specific tool from Toshiba?

Reply 4 of 7, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I gave up 🙁
There's a screw that's dusted (and Lucky, the spot where it was locked went out, so both turn together when I try to move it...)
From my conclusions:
-The cooler is working just fine and there's nothing blocking it. (tested with na external power supply)
-The internal part isn't passing any kind of energy to the cooler, I can't discover any more because the rest of the circuit is on the other side of this board.

Well well, the processor only requires 7 - 8 Watts and that's not much, also take a look at the motherboard (not my Picture)
http://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/142/51/Picture%20162.jpg
I belive the notebook can survive with that huge heatsink without the cooler. (I hope so 🤣 )

At the worst case, I could add some usb cooler.

Reply 5 of 7, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hell yeah...
I found a 400 pages manual that described that there were a tool for testing the system (and guess what it tests? the FAN!!!)
but it was really a pain in the ass to find the diagnostics program.
but Lucky, I found a filed called fan.exe, it doesnt even have 1KB!!, and it wasnt for that particular model, BUT, it worked *__* ...

Reply 6 of 7, by marcod_9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ibm5155 wrote on 2016-08-08, 03:08:
Hell yeah... I found a 400 pages manual that described that there were a tool for testing the system (and guess what it tests? t […]
Show full quote

Hell yeah...
I found a 400 pages manual that described that there were a tool for testing the system (and guess what it tests? the FAN!!!)
but Lucky, I found a filed called fan.exe, it doesnt even have 1KB!!, and it wasnt for that particular model, BUT, it worked *__* ...

I there!
do you still have that file? i have the same problem with a satellite 330cdt, using dos games everithing is fine, but not even 1 windows game works, when open any game the notebook freezes, and ive noted that the fan isnt working
thank you!

Reply 7 of 7, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
marcod_9 wrote on 2022-05-19, 14:46:
I there! do you still have that file? i have the same problem with a satellite 330cdt, using dos games everithing is fine, but n […]
Show full quote
ibm5155 wrote on 2016-08-08, 03:08:
Hell yeah... I found a 400 pages manual that described that there were a tool for testing the system (and guess what it tests? t […]
Show full quote

Hell yeah...

I there!
do you still have that file? i have the same problem with a satellite 330cdt, using dos games everithing is fine, but not even 1 windows game works, when open any game the notebook freezes, and ive noted that the fan isnt working
thank you!

Sure, I have attached the fan program,
"Fan.exe on" on console will turn the fan on, off otherwise.
if you only type fan.exe it ll tell if the fan is on or off...

Also, the Satellite 330CDT has a huge heatsink so hardly ever it gets too hot for the fan to turn on.

Attachments

• Filename
    FAN.EXE
    File size
    1.03 KiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File comment
    Satellite 330CDT fan test
    File license
    Public domain